zeovit.com AquaIllumination  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 A couple issues
Last Post: Catbaciu
Posted On: Today
Replies: 16
Views: 506
0 Farbgebung verbessern
Last Post: ArturW33
Replies: 20
Views: 4,169
0 Mein Kleines Wohnzimmerriff
Last Post: ArturW33
Replies: 61
Views: 7,628
0 Returning to reefing...
Last Post: Nuuze
Replies: 25
Views: 2,480
0 Sabbia letto bianco
Last Post: Fabiomassimo
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: ycnibrc
Replies: 40
Views: 10,943
0 Newbie - Where To Start
Last Post: UncleFester
Replies: 21
Views: 610
0 new 75 gallon tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 63
Views: 10,527
0 New System
Replies: 190
Views: 48,782
0 PO4 still high
Replies: 6
Views: 168
More...

Old 01-13-2020, 10:13 AM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default A couple issues

Hi guys, I need your expert advice for a couple of things 😊 I have had reef aquariums for the last 9 years, but my experience with the Zeovit system is rather limited.

I have been running the Zeovit method since the first day of my aquarium. Its now been almost 8 months and I have a couple of issues:

1. Cyano for about 2 months, it comes and goes, small patches on the sandbed only.
2. High growth of (I believe bacteria) on aquarium walls. Its white or brown, and it grows quite fast, it has a slimy consistency.
3. Zoanthids not opening I have around 30 zoa frags, most of them do well for a period of time, and then they stop growing, dont open fully. Always they stay fully open in the first week after buying them, then start to close. They dont dissolve, no pox, they shrink and stay closed or half-opened. I wasnt able to find any of the usual predators, and I dip everything before adding it to the tank.
4. Some LPS corals are bleached 2 favites and an echinopora

Apart from these issues, everything is just great. All the SPSs look fantastic, they have great coloration, but some grow slower than expected. Acans, blastomusa, trachyphyllia, fungia, scoly all are doing great.
My NO3 level is kept higher, at around 2,5 ppm, with extra feeding, otherwise, it tends to be under 1 ppm Salifert test
PO4 is not detectable with the Salifert test.

I would really love to solve the Zoas and LPS issues, cyano and algae on the walls are not a big problem, but I really love zoas, and I am very sad I cant keep them right now.
If you have any suggestions regarding what I could do to improve zoas wellbeing, I am really happy to hear them. Also, I can give you more details about water parameters, used equipment, feeding schedules, bioload, etc.

Thank you, and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Hello Catbaciu, I have limited experience in using the ZeoVit system. We can fill in the following information first so that we can learn more.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
12. What corals do you keep
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any present problems
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use
Old 01-13-2020, 10:45 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

It's good to start with reduced nutrition. In addition, if you have the opportunity, let us obtain a higher precision instrument (PO4), and release the level.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
600 liters

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
430 liters

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
Dosing pump classic balling method from Tropic Marin

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
Nyos Quantum 160, up to 1000 liters

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
PO4 undetectable, NO3 2,5 ppm

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
Ca: 430; Alk: 8,5 DKH, Mg: 1350

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
none of the above, just Zeovit

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
AI 2 x Hydra 26, bought new last year in June. I run them on 15-20.00 K, White channel is at max 20% for 4 hours a day.

12. What corals do you keep
It’s a mixed tank, LPS dominated, I also have zoas, mushrooms, acros and moniporas

13. Tissue color (light or dark)
light, some bleached LPS

14. How long has the tank been running
7 months

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
For its stability, and I was hoping I can feed as much as I want for high growth rate, and also have a higherfishload than possible with a regular system.

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
I dose K, as it was too low at one point - 350 ppm. I also dose Iodine and scarecely some aminoacids. For trace elements I use Tropic marin A+ and K-

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
About 30 kg, in the tank since day 1, plus a brightwell aquaticsXport brick added 3 months ago

18. Any present problems
Just the ones described in the initial post: zoas not opening, some LPS bleached, Cyano on the substrate

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
There is Cyano growing on sand, and what I think are bacteria growing on the walls

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Salifert test kits, all bought new

21. Present dosing, amounts, and intervals (ZEOvit,ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
For the last 2 weeks, I stopped dosign everything. Before that, I followed the recommended dosage: Bacteria 2 times a week, 1 drop/100 l, Zeostart daily 0,8 ml, Zeofood 4 drops per week.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Salinity: 1.025; temp: around 25C, Ph: 8,1-8-25

23. Which salt brand do you use
Tropic Marin
Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Water purification 430 liters

Use 1 liter of zeolite (ie 1 bag)
400 liters-about 1 pack of zeolite

If the coral is healthy, the reactor flow is about 400 liters per hour

(Use a container, collect the reactor outlet for 30 seconds, volume x120, so you can get the reactor flow per hour)

Leave the zeolite in the filter for 4 weeks until you make your first replacement. This is the first change interval, and other intervals can be extended to 6-8 weeks.

Zeo activated carbon, about 0.4 liters per 400 liters.
400 liters, about 0.4 liters / Zeo activated carbon.
Put 0.4 liters of activated carbon into the filter socks and keep them in a passive stream of water (replace every 30 days). Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users use korallenzucht toner for best results.

ZeoBac 4 drops 2 to 3 times a week
Zeo Start 0.4ml x2, morning and night
Zeo Sponge Power 4 drops every other day

Adjust the skimmer wet and clean the collection cup to make it more outlet

Salt + water, change 5 ~ 10% every week

The basic water parameters seem to be good. For ZeoVit system, Kh seems to be a little higher, and 6.5 ~ 7.5 is recommended.

Iodine nourishes Cyano, let's temporarily stop adding

Also try the mixture, [Zeo CoralSnow 8ml + Zeo Bac 4 drops] x 7 days. After the administration, temporarily turn off the skimmer for 2hr to allow the substance to stay longer, and then adjust the skimmer wet. Cyanos is more serious, toothbrush is your good helper

Gain a higher level of precision instrument (PO4), which differs greatly in precision from the Salifert PO4 test kit

Potassium slowly rises to 380 mg

Tropic marin A + and K-
sorry, I don't know what the product is, so I can't say anything

The same, Brightwell AquaticsXport brick, I don't know what the product is. Maybe everything is stable after the tank, and then gradually removed (it depends on your choice)
ZeoVit system, usually in sump, Skimmer / Zeo activated carbon / zeolite reactor, so that's it

Zeo Food, let s temporarily stop adding
In the future, consider adding it when there is no algae problem and a malnourished stable environment
Old 01-14-2020, 01:55 AM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Jackie, thanks for your promp reply.

I do use 1l of Zeovit zeolith in a reactor, change interval is 6 weeks now, reactor flow is a little under 400l/h.

I use 500ml carbon in a bag in sum, i replace it monthly.

Skimmer is collecting wet, cup is emptied 2-3 times a week, once a week cleaned.

Water changes is performed biweekly, 20%

I have stopped dosing zeobac, zeostart, because my nutrients were very low, and i have experienced some bleaching in lps. Also, zoas are not doing great.

Will adjust the dosing to lower the KH, and stop dosing iodine.

K is currently at 400ppm, i do weekly addition to maintain it here.

Tropic marin A- and K+ are a mix of trace elements, thai i underdose, so i dont think they are an important variable.

Xport brick is a very porous filter media, as i dont have a lot of liverock, I use the brick to create more media for the bacteria to colonize.

What is your oppinion on the zoanthid issue? - polyps not fully opening, or staying closed. What do you think can be the cause of this? Also, the LPS bleaching? Can it be a too low nutrient level? Maybe a PO4 deficiency?

Thank you.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:57 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

I'm really sorry, I don't have much experience with zoanthid, maybe provide pictures, others can provide more comments.

How did you know that water quality was really low in nutrition when we hadn't got more sophisticated instruments? What do you think

Nutrient salt (PO4) seems to be very important for the coral reef environment. It is not limited to SPS. Most corals (including LPS, zoanthid) require a lower nutrition environment. [Low nutrient is advertised in our tank, but there is no lower nutrient like the sea].

*The additional thought is, what is the activated carbon brand?

If the corals are all healthy, I think the foundation should be "stable", which is good. (Zeo Bac, Start, Sponge Power, Zeolite Reactor Flow). If the stop interval is too long, this may affect biology, but it is counterproductive .
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Do you just have one of those bricks in your system and have you had cyano issues before adding it ?

G.Alexander
Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 AM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
I'm really sorry, I don't have much experience with zoanthid, maybe provide pictures, others can provide more comments.

Thanks, Jacky, I'll add some pictures with the zoas later today.

How did you know that water quality was really low in nutrition when we hadn't got more sophisticated instruments? What do you think

I have been keeping marine aquariums for 9 years, and never before using Zeovit I had such low values for NO3 and PO4. The test for PO4 is literally clear water, no coloration like I am testing RO water. I know that this alone is not a 100% indication of zero PO4, but corroborated with algae disappearing from rocks, strong and vivid coloration of all SPS, plus bleaching in some LPS, this would be the conclusion I would draw.

Nutrient salt (PO4) seems to be very important for the coral reef environment. It is not limited to SPS. Most corals (including LPS, zoanthid) require a lower nutrition environment. [Low nutrient is advertised in our tank, but there is no lower nutrient like the sea].
To that I fully agree, on the other hand, the sea provides a lot of other nutrient sources that we totally lack in aquariums.

*The additional thought is, what is the activated carbon brand?
I use only KZ carbon

If the corals are all healthy, I think the foundation should be "stable", which is good. (Zeo Bac, Start, Sponge Power, Zeolite Reactor Flow). If the stop interval is too long, this may affect biology, but it is counterproductive.
I will slowly resume dosing but I am a little bit afraid not to fuel the cyano growth, which might also benefit from the zeostart addition if I'm not mistaken.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Do you just have one of those bricks in your system and have you had cyano issues before adding it?

G.Alexander
I have one brick (it's quite big), and, frankly, I don't remember if the Cyano issue started before or after adding the brick. I previously had another episode with cyano, it disappeared on its own, but then, 2 months later, came back.

My thought is that this media is heavily populated with bacteria and this increased the efficiency of the Zeovit method, leading to PO4 deprivation. Did you hear of anyone else using this type of media with Zeovit? Is it something that might produce an unbalance in bacteria strands ?

Thank you
Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbaciu View Post
I will slowly resume dosing but I am a little bit afraid not to fuel the cyano growth, which might also benefit from the zeostart addition if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think low nutrition has promoted Cyanos

Is there a chance to get some clear pictures, main display system and sump, thank you

Source water, do you use resin as the last channel of Ro / di filter?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:24 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Not sure about the bricks also but personally I would remove it from the system. To provide additional surface to host bacteria you can use some additional live rock or for example the old ZeoVit material you usually remove while the exchange. You can place the material directly in the sump passively flown. The material acts as a biological filtration material.

G.Alexander
Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the advice, very good idea to keep the old Zeolith as filter media for bacteria. I will remove the brick this weekend, and exchange the zeolite - while keeping the old one on the bottom of the sump.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM
Catbaciu Catbaciu ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
I don't think low nutrition has promoted Cyanos

Is there a chance to get some clear pictures, main display system and sump, thank you

Source water, do you use resin as the last channel of Ro / di filter?
So, here are some pictures. The cyano issue is not necessarily the most annoying. I am frankly more concerned about the zoanthids and bleached LPS. I du use resin after the membrane and exchange it when the TDS shows more than zero

Here are some photos of my unhappy zoanthids:

https://imgur.com/cK7xATF

https://imgur.com/6zPW2m5

https://imgur.com/m1eBsDz

https://imgur.com/XYxdb2t

https://imgur.com/LiodpeP

https://imgur.com/Mjbmzhg

https://imgur.com/TBLWbY1

This is the display tank - sorry, not the best quality pictures, I know, but it was late, and the light was very blue.

https://imgur.com/iPPqGAW

This is the sump: Easy setup, the first room has the skimmer and carbon in a mesh, the second room has the zeolite reactor and the return pump.

https://imgur.com/w7sZd5c

And this is a patch of cyano:

https://imgur.com/j2uOKsV

Thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Sorry, I tried many ways, but I can't see the content in the picture