zeovit.com AquaIllumination  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 20% OFF Eshopps Protein Skimmers & Sumps
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 21
0 GIVEAWAY: Eshopps Nano Reef Tank Protein Skimmer
Replies: 1
Views: 130
0 High nitrates
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 19
Views: 401
0 Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 15
Views: 635
0 New Tank Build - Red Sea Reefer 750XXL
Posted On: 07-16-2019
Replies: 12
Views: 621
0 GIVEAWAY: IceCap Kalk Mixing Reactor
Posted On: 07-15-2019
Views: 107
0 Finally ready to start Zeovit
Replies: 9
Views: 633
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 350
Views: 53,443
0 20% YCA Aquarium Chillers
Posted On: 07-14-2019
Views: 116
0 New diamond 535 reeftank
Last Post: Bugger
Posted On: 07-14-2019
Replies: 42
Views: 2,902
More...

Old 05-05-2019, 03:15 AM
Newtankguy Newtankguy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default New tank, Brown corals

Recently moved all my sps from my old system to this new system and i decided to use Zeovit system while starting it. i cycled the tank etc, moved all my rock from my old system and started the zeovit system as directed. A few days after the move, my Stylo STN'ed , my strawbeerry short cake acro turned brown, my purple slimer turned into a brown purple, i've been testing my water parameters and everything is showing 0. I know there has to be some phosphate and nitrates because i have brown algae growing on glass, some on the sand, but it went away. none on the rock work. i have a little bit of algae on my rock work but not growing or dying. i thought it was my PAR but everything is sitting at 300-400PAR. Dont see any SPS encrusting yet, but they are def growing a little bit. any help would be appreciated.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 75g
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 75g
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique- No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)-No
5. Are you using Ozone-No
6. Are you using UV-No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)- reef octopus 150sss
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels- PO4 reading 0, NO3 reading 0
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - CA 440, Alk 7.6, mag 1400
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) just sump
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) LED's and 2x 54w T5
12. What corals do you keep-SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Dark brown
14. How long has the tank been running- A month and a half
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system-Nice sps colors
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) No other dosing
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 75lbs 5 years old
18. Any present problems Corals are brown, brown algae growing on glass, bio film on top of water.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)- some tissue loss on base of of 2-3 corals
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) all salifert, bought them this week, was using API before hand.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)- Zeovit Zeolites- .75L, Zeobak- 3 drops Monday and fiday. Zeofood- 6 drops 3x a week. Zeostart3- .3ml, 2x a day.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity 1.025, Temp is 80 Fahrenheit
23. Which salt brand do you use- Instant Oceans Reef Crystals
Old 05-05-2019, 03:54 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello Newtankguy, welcome

1. Let us wait for G.Alexander's professional dose and recommendations and the appropriate hourly reactor flow (the presence of animal corals, ZeoVit reactor 3hr on/off, the first 2 weeks of Zeo bac daily)

2. It is difficult to say that coral TN may be turbulent (adaptation of factors such as environmental water quality)

3. What test kit do you use, I suggest you use a higher precision instrument PO4

4.Corals are a good indicator - corals turn brown, brown algae grow on glass, algae, it may be an increase in nutrients, or accumulation of elements, or instability of new systems (bacterial development, biology, etc.)

5. Zeo Food7 is temporarily stopped (additional malnutrition after the water quality is stable), it is recommended to use Zeo Sponge Power
(ZEOfood7
Intended use: Increase the growth of corals and bacteria.
Positive results: reduced nitrate and nitrite
OD symptoms: nuisance algae, cyano, black, brown film)

6. If you want, getting Zeo Coral Snow is also a good choice.

7.The new system, Zeo bacteria, etc. are not yet strong, starting with reducing nutrition, ZeoVit materials, and some time, I believe no problem

8.May be the old system of live rock (5 years old) leaching phosphate

9.LED's and 2x 54w T5, what color spectrum is used by T5, maybe 2 x54wT5 (white light) with LED may be good

10. Do you use activated carbon? What brand is used?

11.In addition, the potassium test kit is also very important, usually K+~380 to 400 mg.

Last edited by jacky; 05-05-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:14 AM
ZEOhead in Training

1. I currently do not run a reactor, i figured since i do not have detectable phosphates and nitrates i should stay off it. not sure if im wrong. i only have 2 fish, 1.5inch regal tang, 2inch six line wrasse. i feed like 2x a week. not heavy at all.

2. i was debating if i should purchase the Ultra low Phosphates meter from hanna since i cant seem to detect any with salifert.

3. i will purchase zeo sponge power and coral snow and see how it goes. i was thinking about getting coral vitalizer also? Not sure what else to purchase.

4. LED's are set to 20k spectrum, T5 are blue plus, and a coral plus.

5. i do use Carbon, Cant remember what brand, but its not Rox, and i havent changed it in a month so i doubt its taking anything out at this point.

6. ill have to purchase a potassium test kit, i do not own one at the moment.

7. i dont think its the Live rock leaching nutrients, i could be wrong, everything was moved from my old tank, and my old tank was doing perfectly fine, i never had nutrient issues and i never ran a skimmer or any reactors, just water changes.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

1. Coral tissue lightness and appearance + precision instrument measurement + subjective discrimination of algae, these can be used as some directions for discrimination, but it is hard to say that this is the case (usually the coral tissue is a very good observation object)

2.Salifert PO4, transparent water sample appearance This is basic, usually a little red (usually already exceeded), It is recommended to use a higher precision quantifier instrument

3.Basic products - Zeo Bac, Start3, Sponge Power, ZeoVit materials and reactors, Zeo's activated carbon, Coral Snow is also a good choice

ZeoVit material / flow, which really helps reduce nutrients

4. I don't have a good experience in the lighting part, just one of my thoughts and suggestions.

5. I don't have experience with this brand. Some bad activated carbon does leaching phosphorus and TN problems.

6. Recommended to get and know the potassium level

7. Maybe you are right, just an idea/guess (maybe my mistake)

Coral brown / algae / biofilm / brown algae growing on glass /, my idea is to stop Food7, use Coral Snow, and get Sponge Power

From your narrative, it is hard to say what the cause of coral TN is, too much.(For example: potassium levels are too low, corals are indeed TN)

Reduce nutrition start
with
Coral TN

So is the current phenomenon of coral TN stopped? What is their appearance?

Last edited by jacky; 05-05-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

It is not clear how thick the sand bed is, and how thick it is, it is also very interesting. Then, you must understand the correct PO4 value to be able to analyze/understand the details of the coral tissue in dark brown.And I suggest you use the reactor to get the right flow.

Is the old tank the same as the "use light source" of the new tank?

In fact, your dose does not seem to have much problem.
If you choose Food7, Zeofood-6 drops 3x a week. Can be appropriately reduced to, 3 drops x2, weekly

Last edited by jacky; 05-05-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:52 AM
ZEOhead in Training

2. ill be purchasing another phosphate test kit.

3. ill be getting coral snow and sponge power.

ill stop dosing the food7 for a while? a week? and ill purchase coral snow and sponge power.

the old lights are on my new system so that hasnt changed. my sand bed is new sand, and its 1 inch deep.

i just switched zeolites yesterday. i was taking the zeolites out of the water before to knead them and take off the mulm, but i read somewhere you're not suppose to expose them to air, not sure if i messed up there.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:35 PM
ZEOhead in Training

also do i get coral snow or coral snow plus? both?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:30 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

1 inch = 2.54cm, what you do looks great, (is it dry sand?), it is not recommended to use wet sand, I believe it is dry sand

You can try to reduce the dose of Zeo Food7, 3 drops, 1 or 2 times a week.

Don't worry, there is no problem with the "temporary" water, so be sure to immerse in the sea.

The system is still very young
If I understand correctly, 300L of water

Since you have replaced ZeoVit material, the first time you replace ZeoVit material is 90%, keep the old 10%, and remember that ZeoBac x10 days (3 drops x 10 days) after replacement of ZeoVit material. (Depending on the nutrient salt condition, usually 50% replacement after 4 weeks of the first replacement, after which the low nutrient water quality is stable and usually extended to 7~8 weeks.)

It is recommended to use ZeoVit reactor for stable/appropriate flow, stable low nutrient water quality for tank/coral food/natural decolorizer/organic material removal/polyp expansion, etc., to achieve a consistently stable balance

ZeoStart - 2 x 0.3 ml per day
ZeoBac - 3 drops x10 days, 3 drops a week, 2 times a week
SpongePower - 3 drops every other day
Zeo Food7 - 3 drops, 1~2 times a week, or temporarily stop adding, If it is me, I will use Sponge Power. Food7 retains its low malnutrition water/coral appearance and then adds it

Due to algae problems, Coral Snow - 6ml per day (try to do 1 week), this should support this process

Run 0.75 liters of ZeoVit, collect water from the reactor outlet with a small container for 30 seconds, and measure reactor flow. Multiply the volume by 120 and you will get the exact output per hour.

A 75 gallon system should fill a 1/2 gallon pitcher in 24 seconds. (48 seconds per gallon. 3600 / 48 = 75 gallons gallon)

0.15 liters of activated carbon was placed in a filter bag and placed in a passive stream of water in a sump, which was changed every 30 days. Rub the carbon every day to keep the surface clean. Most users get the perfect result with korallenzucht carbon.

Later you can use other products for coral staining. Adjust your skimmer to keep it wet, keep it clean, and export as much as possible. Add water with salt and change water 5-10% per week.

The basic water parameters look good and are as stable as possible, closing New South Wales within the following range:

KH 6.5 - 7.5
Ca 400 - 420 mg
Mg 1250 - 1300 mg
K + ~380 mg

For malnourished environments, K + (potassium) seems to be an important factor. I suggest you also get a test kit for this element and post your results.

To:G.Alexander, sorry, I followed your form. If there is offense, please forgive me.

To: Newtankguy, for reference only, not very correct, let us wait for G.Alexander's better advice

Last edited by jacky; 05-05-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Newtankguy

you have mention that you have cycled the new system bevor transfer the animals. Can you please describe this a little bit more detailed what you have done exactly ?

How do you use the ZeoVit material as you do not have a reactor ?

G.Alexander
Old 05-06-2019, 05:07 AM
ZEOhead in Training

i had cycled the rocks for 3 weeks, then cycled the tank for a month. i used Instant Ocean bio-spira. after that month, i moved everything over from my previous tank. 50lbs of rock, fish and sps. ever since i moved everything my sps has been brown. i do not have a reactor currently, i run the zeolites in a media bag in my sump.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:19 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Is the quality of Ro/Di good? It feels like the water is out of order (including some unknown media, which leads to another coral pressure TN? Maybe)

If the quality of the Ro/di water is good, then it is recommended to replace the water.

Does the main display system and Sump have unknown objects such as iron, etc. Algae/coral darkening

Is there a chance to give us more pictures/coral conditions, etc?

Media bag, whether there is a metal component, such as metal zipper, etc.

From your description, it floats on the water surface of the main display system, can it have a clearer appearance? You can use a toilet paper to filter it slightly to see its appearance
Old 05-07-2019, 12:10 AM
ZEOhead in Training

my water is good 0tds, the one thing i can think of is i have a metal clamp on my sump pump that may be causing the issue? not sure.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fNThzax

My corals currently
Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

You are right, "There is a metal clip on the pump". Try to exclude this. Any metal material is not suitable.

If the quality of Ro/di is good, try to change the water several times.

My experience is not a lot, usually this phenomenon is back in the loose coral tissue
Old 05-07-2019, 01:44 AM
ZEOhead in Training

i bought coral snow and sponge power, ill be taking out the clip soon and replacing it with a plastic one. This water is the same water i used on my old reef and everything worked fine. my tds meter is reading 0 when i test it.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Also, I don't know how you clean the ZeoVit material. If it's cleaned, the coral seems to be prone to TN. It is recommended to get the reactor (we need a consistently stable and suitable flow output)

Replace it with "plastic" and also pay attention to the use of plastic materials suitable for immersion in sea water.