zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: ycnibrc
Posted On: Today
Replies: 29
Views: 8,463
0 Daelie's Reefer 250
Last Post: daelie
Replies: 2
Views: 36
0 vermetid snails.. and success stories
Last Post: Silent
Replies: 13
Views: 290
0 Rollermat with full Zeo
Last Post: G.Alexander
Views: 99
4 Featured Tank . Pawel Szember (paszembe) - Poland
Last Post: tony73
Replies: 20
Views: 8,455
0 Radion G4 XR30 & Zeovit
Last Post: Silent
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 242
0 New Tank Setup
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 5
Views: 1,081
0 Acropora ID please
Posted On: 12-07-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 180
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 12-07-2019
Replies: 29
Views: 34,862
0 Greybeard's Reef - rebooting -w- Zeovit
Posted On: 12-06-2019
Replies: 8
Views: 3,442
More...

Old 10-17-2019, 04:02 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

Default Transferring corals to ULNS

Ive been running a partial zeovit frag system for about a year and a half that has many acro frags. I set up this tank until I could get my bigger system built then planned on transferring the corals. I found that the corals in the frag tank did better when I let the nutrients rise a little, NO3 7-10, PO4 <0.05. The new system is only a large refugium with chaeto, sea lettuce, skimmer, and GAC. The new tank has been running for 3 months with NO3 and PO4 are completely undetected by salifert kits. Yes it went through a cycle. I have most of my fish from the frag system in the new tank and all doing well. I decided to try moving some corals a few weeks ago. I started with a couple birds nests, Pocillopora, and a turaki frag. Over the last few days the Pocillopora and one of the birds nest bleached out. Not rtn but bleached. I put a few other acros and they seem to be doing well. They look pale like they would in an ULNS but still healthy. Is it possible the birds nest and Pocillopora just couldnt tolerate the change in nutrients. The new tank does have powerful lighting but i started the corals low in the tank. I am not dosing anything extra besides Ca, bicarb, and Mg to supplement. Any suggestions with getting the new corals acclimated?
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

We can try to start with this first.
What is potassium level, I don't know if you have checked it, usually K+~380 mg
Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

K+ 390
Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Pocillopora If my understanding is correct, in my observations, it seems to be used as an indicator of nutrition. Low nutrition and higher nutrition do look different. Does the coral show polyps and PE?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:39 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Do the Acropora corals show good polyp expansion even while the lighting period ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-18-2019, 10:48 AM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

The Pocillopora and birds best did not have great pe while lights on. Acros, which are in more direct light have good pe considering the change in systems.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:54 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

What kind of activated carbon, as well as the quantity and what kind of filtration method?

Try to keep the water quality parameters stable

Rapid reduction of nutrients also seems to have a negative impact on corals
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

I’m using rox 0.8 carbon in a media bag passively. Using about 150ml. Other parameters that I can measure are within normal limits. PO4 and NO3 are undetected with salifert kits.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Hard to say. The best PE of Pocillopora and birds is not good, Acros has good performance. Usually Acros is more difficult to raise than other corals (maybe). I think we can get the actual data (kh ca mg k+) and stabilize it, then get a higher precision instrument (PO4). I don't know the activated carbon brand you use, maybe it's better to replace it with the Zeo brand of activated carbon.

The extra idea is that Acros corals perform well, so Pocillopora and birds, is it caused by pest relationships?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 AM
ZEOadmin

First thing I would try is to remove the carbon temporary completely doing two water changes each 15% within this week. I have no experience with this kind of carbon but it might be the reason. If PE with those kind of corals do improve within 2 weeks you might use a much lower quantity of this carbon or a different kind for the future.

G.Alexander
Old 10-25-2019, 04:10 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

I don’t think my carbon is an issue. I use it in both systems and the smaller tank is fine. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-...SAAEgI4O_D_BwE

I think I blasted the new corals with light too quickly. Acros are doing just fine. Will be doing an icp to check for contaminants.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:11 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

I finally received icp results. It turns out I have alarming levels of aluminum probably because I’m using marine pure blocks. I put some Rowaphos in the sump in hopes to remove the aluminum. Any suggestions to deal with aluminum besides water changes? Also my iodine was 0 and calcium a bit low. I have iodide complex which I’ve been dosing a few days a week. I also raised my light about 6” and cut their time from 8 hours to 5.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:12 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

I don't know if Rowa can remove aluminum. In my opinion it is, phosphorus and Sio2. It is also not recommended for additional phosphate treatment, which is not easy to control, a little thought. However, I am quite curious about the source of "aluminum". Of course, everything is based on the appearance of corals, and corals are good observers.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:25 AM
ZEOadmin

I would do some water changes to bring down the level . I have read that the blocks can leach Al on different sources in the past.

G.Alexander
Old 11-11-2019, 01:37 PM
cflow cflow ثeu
ZEOhead

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the blocks will eventually be exhausted of Al. Any suggestions as to how often to dose iodide complex when my tank was at 0?