zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Zeo-Einsteiger hat Fragen
Last Post: chrima78
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 41
Views: 2,984
0 Flatworm stop and coral booster
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 119
0 Dosing Zeostart with Dosing Pump
Posted On: 06-23-2019
Replies: 10
Views: 2,551
0 800 l reef change to zeo
Posted On: 06-23-2019
Replies: 13
Views: 557
0 Mein Kleines Wohnzimmerriff
Last Post: chrima78
Posted On: 06-21-2019
Replies: 12
Views: 657
0 130 л Зеовит аква
Last Post: Alexfdl
Posted On: 06-21-2019
Replies: 90
Views: 7,941
0 Preferred time to dose Coral Vitalizer and Amino Acid Concentrate?
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 06-19-2019
Replies: 4
Views: 297
0 Avast Marine reactor Help!
Last Post: ohashimz
Replies: 7
Views: 310
0 New tank Elos 160 XL
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 87
Views: 9,181
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 06-18-2019
Replies: 5
Views: 852
More...

Old 03-18-2019, 12:38 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Zeostart NO3 and low PO4

Hello Guys:

I have one simple question, I am at almost 25ppm nitrates right now, been dosing 0.15ml x2 daily of Zeostart3 for almost a month and my nitrates are the same, they are not going down.

I have a really powerful Scrubbert that takes all my PO4 outside the system and never seen any PO4 at all, measured with Hanna.

The question is, is it possible that the undetectable Phosphates are inhibiting Denitrification on my system?

My Net Water = 180L (45 gal)
No3 = 25ppm
Po4 = undetectable
kH = 7.8
Ca = 440ppm
Not using Zeolith

Should I turn off my scrubbert for a few days to see what happens? What do you think?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Simple answer is yes, 0 Po4 will most likely prevent nitrates from dropping. Try to feed more food, and dose LESS Zeostart (zeostart contains nitrates)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you Blackizzz

Is it real that Zeostart3 contains NO3? Isn't that supposed to remove nitrates and not add them? Isn't that supposed to have only Acetic Acid?

I will cut Zeostart3 since it is not doing anything on Nitrates, and will cut some hours on my scrubbert, I believe this all started when I incremented the hours of light on it.

My system is very small and I was super fine dosing bacteria only.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
Thank you Blackizzz

Is it real that Zeostart3 contains NO3? Isn't that supposed to remove nitrates and not add them? Isn't that supposed to have only Acetic Acid?

I will cut Zeostart3 since it is not doing anything on Nitrates, and will cut some hours on my scrubbert, I believe this all started when I incremented the hours of light on it.

My system is very small and I was super fine dosing bacteria only.

Well we actually have very little knowledge to the factual ingredients of Zeostart, but Ive seen multiple tests done where the nitrate test is positive. Ive also tried on multiple occasions to dose more zeostart to increase NO3, all successful.

And yes, its supposed to lower PO4/NO3, but to do that the tank has to contain some of each, and in most Zeovit system PO4 climbs higher than NO3. When dosing NO3 then, PO4 can drop naturally

What do you mean by scrubber? Do you use an algae scrubber and Zeovit?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The only products I was using form Korallen were Zeostart3 and zeobak...now I stopped dosing ZS3 a week ago.

Still seeing the same nitrates on my water, still at 25ppm.
PO4 are SOOO hard to rise, after a heavy feeding (and I mean HEAVY) still showing 0 on Hanna checker.

Yes, I run a scrubber, and it seems to be eating all my phosphates but not the nitrates, I decreased 4 hours of light from the scrubber.
As soon as I heavy feed the tank the ORP on my APEX goes from 480 to 475 or 470...then a few hours later it goes up again to 480.

The only result I have seen with zeostart was a rise in nitrates (may be because I have no phosphates at all? )
I can start dosing phosphates with the auto-doser..since I am not moving the numbers with the fish food...but I am not 100% sure of that.

Also..I have un openned bottles of CV and PohlsXtra ready to start dosing whenever my nitrates go down again
Old 03-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I dose phosphate but only 1 drop per 25Gallons per day. I would not advise you raise phosphate to detectable levels as you will kill your corals in the process.
I would give NOPOX a try
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Ok, I started the full zeovit system (with zeolites) to try to balance things.
Will monitor the NO3 so I don't remove them that fast...and will start dosing Zeostart again once I see no Nitrates.

I will also try to remove the scrubbert gradually as I use the zeolites.

I believe in this way I can transition to full zeovit, what do you think?
I think that with the use of zeolites NO3 should go down as I will have no ammonia available, once the scrubbert is removed I will have some more phosphates available to start the denitrification again, plus..I will have the full zeovit running, which I wanted to run from long time ago.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, I think ZS3 stops for 1 week, which may change biology, it should be added every day x2

NP level, I feel very good, coral performance should be beautiful

It's true that ZeoVit materials are added with Zeo basics, which definitely reduces nutrients

It's hard to say N, the NP level is really not a problem, you should keep adding your regular Zeo knowledge, more vacuum siphon sand, adjust skimmer wet, or balanced lighting

In addition, I have a question about the device you are describing. Is it only to reduce the function of phosphorus? What do you think?

Last edited by jacky; 03-26-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Jacky

The device is an Algae Scrubber, I modified it to have the light as near as possible from the net, now if I put the scrubber to work more than 16 hours a day my Phosphates go really low and I start to notice problems on the tank.
It is now running at 14 hours of light a day, and the algae on it should be removed every 7-8 days.

I was not running full Zeovit with this tank before, however I had all the basic components available at home, since my parameters where under complete control I didn't have the need to run full zeovit, my tank was only running with Biodigest, Skimmer (APF-600) and this algae scrubber. After 1 year my Nitrates started to rise slowly (it took 2 months), they are now at 25ppm, tested with Salifert kit. I have some small patches of green algae on the rocks because of this NO3 value and that is what I am trying to correct, corals are awesome, better than ever. I had problems bringing up Nitrates and phosphates in the past and the corals where really suffering, now they are awesome.

However, I believe NO3 at 5-7ppm will be perfect, so I aim at that, I already have undetectable phosphates.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

I mean, the algae scrubber algae only absorbs phosphorus and does not absorb N?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
I mean, the algae scrubber algae only absorbs phosphorus and does not absorb N?
That is a good question, I am not able to understand how the scrubber is not able to take nitrates, but instead is eating all the phosphates, what I can tell for sure is that, I am taking a lot of algae from it every week, and I thought that putting more hours of light were going to take my nitrates out, but instead it depleted the phosphates.

May be someone can explain me why?
Or may be scrubbers are suited only for phosphates while chaeto filters are more suited for taking the nitrates?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:48 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
That is a good question, I am not able to understand how the scrubber is not able to take nitrates, but instead is eating all the phosphates, what I can tell for sure is that, I am taking a lot of algae from it every week, and I thought that putting more hours of light were going to take my nitrates out, but instead it depleted the phosphates.

May be someone can explain me why?
Or may be scrubbers are suited only for phosphates while chaeto filters are more suited for taking the nitrates?

What is the full dose of Zeo, and what other products are added, in addition to algae scrubbers, is there any way to reduce phosphorus?

It is recommended that Zeo Start3 be added x2 per day, and there is no dose of ZS3 for 1 week, which may affect another level of biology.

The ZeoVit material is ready to use, which is good. (For the addition of ZeoVit material in the middle and the animal coral in the tank, the reactor should be closed at 3hr every 3hr, Zeo Bac 2 weeks dose, ZS3 x2 per day, Zeo Sponge Power added every other day) For more detailed information, please ask G.Alexander
Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Guys / Jacky:

I am planning to remove the scrubbert, and go full Zeovit only, what do you think?

My fears are, once I remove the scrubber my display would explode in algae?

My actual params are:
PO4 = 0.00 with Hanna LR Phosphate
NO3 = 25ppm
CA = 440ppm
kH = 7.8

I started full zeovit reactor with 300 grms of stones a month ago, but I don't see a reduction in Nitrates.

Should I establish the NO3-PO4 balance first before removing the scrubber? Like bringing up the phosphates for example?

How may I complete this transition?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:09 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Please post some more details about your system:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Some additional questions, how deep is your sand bed and how many fish (kind / size) do you keep in the system ? Do you use any kind of mechanical filtration material ?

G.Alexander
Old 04-18-2019, 11:19 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, can you fill in the basic information about tank, Zeo potion / water volume / ZeoVit / ZeoVit traffic, seems to have a relationship
Waiting for G. Give us a more detailed and complete way