zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Monthly Operating Costs?
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 12
Views: 132
0 Transferring corals to ULNS
Replies: 4
Views: 62
0 AEFW Acro Strudelwrmer bek鄝pfen
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 12
Views: 172
0 GIVEAWAY: Bubble Magus Z Series Protein Skimmer
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 10-16-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 33
0 GIVEAWAY: Target Feeding Corals with Two Little Fishies Julian's Thing
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 2
Views: 105
0 New exclusiv importer for US - Bulk Reef Supply Inc
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 1
Views: 102
0 Converting to Zeovit, did some mistakes...
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 32
Views: 859
4 Featured Tank . Pawel Szember (paszembe) - Poland
Last Post: berlin-riff
Replies: 7
Views: 643
0 Setup new tank
Replies: 1
Views: 64
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: ycnibrc
Posted On: 10-15-2019
Replies: 27
Views: 3,715
More...
Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 AM
bimmer88 bimmer88 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Default Dosing Zeostart with Dosing Pump

I've read a few threads about dosing zeostart with a dosing pump... from what I read, Zeostart can be diluted so that it can be properly dosed by a dosing pump... It should be diluted with sterilized water from stores(is what i read)... my questions are:

1) won't we have to sterilize the container for the dosing pumps as well??? If so, how should we do this? Will just rinsing the containers with rubbing alcohol do the job?

2) Would Zeostart start to settle and separate from the water if not shaken regularly?? For example, the zeostart just floating to the surface of the water and all that's being dosed it water.

3) Has anybody done this on a regular basis successfully?? As in have their zeostart dosed through a dosing pump and not manually long term???

Last edited by bimmer88; 11-01-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

I've read a few threads about dosing zeostart with a dosing pump... from what I read, Zeostart can be diluted so that it can be properly dosed by a dosing pump... It should be diluted with sterilized water from stores(is what i read)... my questions are:

1) won't we have to sterilize the container for the dosing pumps as well??? If so, how should we do this? Will just rinsing the containers with rubbing alcohol do the job?

Just use boiled RODI water over the surfaces of the container that will be exposed to the solution. If the container is plastic/acrylic, boil the water and let it cool to 75 degrees F before using. Don't forget to boil the hose as well. I have used silicone hose because it can be boiled without damaging it. Hard to find but worth it.

2) Would Zeostart start to settle and separate from the water if not shaken regularly?? For example, the zeostart just floating to the surface of the water and all that's being dosed it water.

No, water will mix and stay mixed with the Start3. Both will stay mixed with out stirring. Just give it a good stir when you add it initially. Use RODI water that has been boiled and allowed to cool to room temperature before adding the Start3. No need to try and find sterilized water, not sure where you would even find that.

3) Has anybody done this on a regular basis successfully?? As in have their zeostart dosed through a dosing pump and not manually long term???

Yes....ME. I have been doing this for a year now without issue, but I am careful to work clean when preparing the solution. The container must be sealed and sterilized along with the hose that delivers the solution. Also, it is a good idea to mix smaller quantities (2L) solution at a time incase there is contamination, you will not loose your entire supply of ZeoStart3 bottle.

I have mixed 1:19, in this ratio, 1mL of mixed solution equals 0.05mL of Start3.

In this ratio more accurate doses can be achieved with a standard dosing pump that delivers 1mL doses minimum. Dosing pumps are not 100% accurate so this allows you some degree of error without it being drastic.

So, for example... if you needed to dose 0.2mL of ZeoStart3, you would need to set your doser to deliver 4mL of your mixed solution. I also recommend you calibrate your doser and PHYSICALLY check the dose it delivers by catching the dose in a graduated cylinder appropriate for the dose expected. If you don't have accurate lab supplies you could pull the plunger off a 10mL syringe, plug the hole at the other end and use that to catch the dose for measure.

Regards,

Christine

All content (image or text) contained in this post is copyrighted. Any use of content, either in full or part, outside of this forum (zeovit.com) will be considered copyright infringement without prior written permission from me.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM
bimmer88 bimmer88 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thanks Christine!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Mark SF Mark SF 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

I am currently dosing my ZeoStart via my Vertex Libra and have not noticed any ill effects except once I found a little bit of stringy good that I sucked out of the container. Haven't seen any build up of bacteria since. I am using distilled water to dilute.

One question, would it be beneficial to dose the necessary total of ZeoStart throughout the day in smaller and consistent doses? Obviously one could argue that the 2x daily dosing is most likely due to the nature of our lifestyles, dose before leaving the house for work and then dosing when you get home.

I can easily set my doser to dose the amount I need from the diluted mix 1-20x a day. The doser is accurate to .5mL/dose.

-Mark
Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Keep in mind the more smaller doses you do, more inaccuracy can occur. The maximum doses I would attempt is 4 and that is with the stepper Libra. Just my opinion.

All content (image or text) contained in this post is copyrighted. Any use of content, either in full or part, outside of this forum (zeovit.com) will be considered copyright infringement without prior written permission from me.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Mark SF Mark SF 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTopia View Post
Keep in mind the more smaller doses you do, more inaccuracy can occur. The maximum doses I would attempt is 4 and that is with the stepper Libra. Just my opinion.
I have the stepper model, however, is it a benefit to provide more consistent carbon to the aquarium?

-Mark
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Mark, if possible you can also split the dosage of ZeoStart to 3 x daily, this will constantly feed the bacterial with carbon. Theoretical more smaller additions work better than just dosing once per day so 2 – 3 x weekly from my experience works very well while I have not seen a difference between 2 x and 3 x .

G.Alexander
Old 06-23-2019, 03:45 AM
benou benou 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

i have a question regarding ratios

If i have a 500ml dosing container what would my ratios of ZEOstart 3 to RODI water be and then what dosing amount would i set for a 394l total system volume be
Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

1:19, ZeoStart3 / RODI water. Adding 1 part of ZeoStart3 (say 100 mL) to 19 parts of RODI water (such as 1900 mL) will give a 2000 mL solution. 0.05 mL of ZeoStart 3 was included per 1 mL of solution.

E.g,
If you want a total of 0.5mL of ZeoStart3 dose per day divided into 2 doses (0.25mL x 2), you can set your feeder twice a day (5mL x 2 = 10mL solution) = 0.5mL ZeoStart3.

1:9, ZeoStart3 / RODI water. One copy of ZeoStart3 (say 100 mL) to 9 parts of RODI water (such as 900 mL) will give a 1000 mL solution. 0.1 mL of ZeoStart 3 was included per 1 mL of solution.

E.g,
If you want a total of 0.5mL of ZeoStart3 dose per day divided into 2 doses (0.25mL x 2), you won't be able to do this because most feeders can only deliver 1mL and 1mL solution contains 0.1mL ZeoStart3. So this ratio is only valid if you give even numbers every day (such as 0.2 / 0.4 / 0.6 / 0.8 mL, etc.), get it? When a large number of ZeoStart3s with an even number are given, the ratio of 1:9 is better. You can take more than 2 times a day to try to equal the amount you take each day, but it will make things more difficult.

As long as you stick to this ratio, you can create any number of solutions. I recommend that you only make the right amount of the dose container at a time. Long-term storage of the solution only increases the risk of contamination.

~

1:9 ratio

0.1 mL of ZeoStart 3 per 1 mL of solution.

394L water purification, about 400L

Start 0.4ml x2 (early/night), a total of 0.8ml a day

Dosing automatic dosing, 0.4ml in the morning, 0.4ml in the evening, one time

Last edited by jacky; 06-23-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:49 PM
benou benou 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Jacky thanks so much for your assistance. Math is not my speciality

thanks for confirming what i thought was the case

All done and setup now
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thank you for your kind words, the matching is from the basic tank message (FAQ), there are more detailed instructions, you can read. Pay attention to the load of the container and avoid contamination

I also often miscalculate mathematics.