zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > Featured Tank > Published Featured Tank

Published Featured Tank Dream tanks of our members.

Active Threads
0 Helping dosing zeo system.
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 51
Views: 2,590
0 Unable to reduce Nitrate
Posted On: Today
Replies: 22
Views: 514
0 Considering a move to zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 23
Views: 491
0 Zeostart NO3 and low PO4
Last Post: blackizzz
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 152
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Posted On: 03-21-2019
Replies: 314
Views: 45,736
0 Start with zeovit method (running tank)
Posted On: 03-21-2019
Replies: 86
Views: 5,144
0 Buy Genuine directly from Germany!
Last Post: sewatec
Posted On: 03-19-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 90
0 DIY Auto Zeovit Reactor
Replies: 1
Views: 256
0 stylo pucci glow - how to use
Replies: 1
Views: 179
0 130 л Зеовит аква
Replies: 72
Views: 5,500
More...
Old 02-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Setragni Setragni 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTopia View Post
One would think, but I don't mind really in this case, maybe Alexander should include a Copyright notice on the forum and features in general. The web has become a free-for-all these days, people using not only pictures but written word (plagiarism) like it was their own. The laws, especially in Canada are very relaxed on this topic, maybe all over the world. If you post something on the web these days it becomes public domain... or assumed public domain.

Using images for profit or advertising should be where the line is drawn, regardless where the image is obtained from and whether or not there is a copyright notice posted. I try to put a watermark on everything I post image wise but it is not always respected. They don't appear on the photo's used in the feature.

Exposure and expression on the net comes at a cost sometimes, we want to share everything and try and stand out from the crowd. We often use the web for self promotion and gratification and the general consensus seems to be that we want people to share and use our pictures and writing, so people assume they are doing you a favour by stealing and using our work. Just the way the world is evolving I guess.

I am changing my signature below to include a copyright notice LOL.
I agree a 100%. The signature was a great Idea. Im going to do some research on the topic and let you know my findings.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 PM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
I agree a 100%. The signature was a great Idea. Im going to do some research on the topic and let you know my findings.

Feel free to copy and paste it on your signature, as long as it is used in this forum only, LOL.

All content (image or text) contained in this post is copyrighted. Any use of content, either in full or part, outside of this forum (zeovit.com) will be considered copyright infringement without prior written permission from me.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Setragni Setragni 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thanks... Will do once I get a good camera =D.

Christine, would you mind giving me some feedback on PIF and BB. I am having a hard time coloring up pinks, all the other colors look great. But my red planet is pale with pink tips, my Christmas Mirabilis has a lot more pink but the base growth is pale.
Im not sure what I am missing, my K level is around 400.
I am going to get PIF and BB next, still trying to decide whether to go with liquid or automatic elements.

Thanks
-Tony
Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Hi Tony,

Red Planet is such an interesting coral for me, it changes colours based on many factors. Like you I have had the coral look pale and more pink, lacking the distinctive green base colour it is known for. I have found this coral prefers some nutrients and does not colour when nutrients are too low. It also does not like too much light. If too much light is provided it seems to grow from the base more. I would first try increasing nutrients a little in the system, maybe a little less ZEOstart3.

BB will help a little but it will also work to lighten corals a bit. PIF is a great product, the fluoride and iodine will help with pinks.

What product(s) are you dosing for alkalinity? Is it possible your system is low in boron?

All content (image or text) contained in this post is copyrighted. Any use of content, either in full or part, outside of this forum (zeovit.com) will be considered copyright infringement without prior written permission from me.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Setragni Setragni 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thanks christine. I do have a feeling that my tank is too low on nutrients. Im having a hard time getting my PO4 out of the 0.00 range.
Next Im going to reduce my start3 dosing from 0.26 to 0.20mls daily.
I am also going to try moving my red planet to a lower light area. Which is really hard on a tank that is only 12 inches deep.
I dose Bionic 2 part for alk and Ca and I have no clue what level my Boron is at.
I switched to RBS from reefcrystals I am hoping that will help as well.
Maybe all I need is some time, tank is fairly new. Only 3 months old.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:52 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

I am not sure what is in the B-Ionic alkalinity exactly, can't find a list of ingredients online. I use Brightwell Aquatics Alkalin8.3P powder and mix up batches. BA includes boron, carbonate, and bicarbonate. The boron portion may be keeping levels adequate in my tank and helping with the reds, I never test for it however. (Boron is not used directly in the calcification process) but is a good buffering agent and is needed by many organisms. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/chemistry

Could be your boron is low, and it may be contributing to a lack of red pigmentation in your tank if potassium is at ~400ppm. Boron is hard to test for accurately, I think Salifert has a kit for that. Your looking for 4.4ppm roughly.

Last edited by NanoTopia; 02-04-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Small correction: Boron is used in the calcification process.

I have always suspected B-Balance contained Boron along with other ingredients, but it just dawned on me that if a big single dose is made the pH should rise slightly just after the dose. I usually dose BB conservatively twice a week, maybe I will try a bigger dose and watch the pH level on my Apex. Just a thought really, it might help confirm my suspicion.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Setragni Setragni 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTopia View Post
Small correction: Boron is used in the calcification process.

I have always suspected B-Balance contained Boron along with other ingredients, but it just dawned on me that if a big single dose is made the pH should rise slightly just after the dose. I usually dose BB conservatively twice a week, maybe I will try a bigger dose and watch the pH level on my Apex. Just a thought really, it might help confirm my suspicion.
Thanks again Christine. I found this:

Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additives: The Effect on Boron
Another series of products that should contain boron are the two-part calcium and alkalinity supplements that claim to leave only a natural seawater ionic residue after removal of calcium carbonate. That is, they contain all ions, including boron, in natural seawater ratios with the exception of calcium, carbonate, and bicarbonate (as is the case in B-ionic according to Bob Stark of ESV). Assuming that such supplements are properly formulated, then they should not cause an increase in boron above natural levels, though they may help "maintain" it if it is otherwise being depleted (just as a water change would).

I am going to place an order for BB and PIF tonight but I am still not sure If I should get the liquid or automatic form. The automatic elements sound too good to be true since it gives us much less control over dosage. I believe the rate of which the blocks will release the material will not be affected by the levels already in the tank, nor by the consumption or livestock. I would like to see more reviews for this product. So I guess I'll go with the bottles.

What would you recommend as a start dosing point for BB and PIF?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 PM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Okay.

There was some threads a while back here suggesting that an initial one time larger dose of BB be done when starting with the supplement and KZ also recommends it (see below). This would possibly be beneficial but I personally went with more conservative numbers than the threads and KZ suggests.

If you are home to dose products on a regular basis you can stick with the liquid forms. If you travel possibly the auto elements would be better. The auto-elements do add a degree of stability to the system however, this is the biggest selling point of these cubes IMO. Liquid BB is traditionally and generally dosed twice a week or daily at a fixed rate based on your net water.

B-Balance Liquid:
For the initial use you can dose 50-100 ml per 100 L / 25 gallons tank water to refill missing minerals. After this treatment your SPS corals will turn out to new beauty. Then pause for 2 days. After that dose 1ml/100L/25gallons daily. Dosing qty. of B-Balance reduces to 50% if you also use ZEOspur 2 in your tank.
Pohl’s B-Balance contains essential minerals and its addition makes it possible to keep delicate animals such as Cespitularia. Especially enhances the color red in Acropora, Stylopora and Pocillopora. Corals are healthier and more rubust, base encrustation is more solid and also grow in darkly lit areas.

Up to you how you like to dose this product. The (50-100 ml per 100 L / 25 gallons ) initial dose scares a lot of people, including me, LOL. I have not tried this extreme but it suggests the concentration of this product is not great.

I dose PIF less than recommended on the bottle, I have tried dosing slightly more with no negative effect. This is an inorganic iodine attached to potassium and fluoride. I think the addition of fluoride is what makes this product special. I dose 1drop/25gallons 2 times a week. I dose JOD (Iodine Complex Concentrate) 1drop/25gallons once a week. Depends how the Bryopsis is growing, LOL.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Setragni Setragni 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Oh! Bryopsis is a no no. That thing is immortal. Maybe Im going to start with a 25ml dosage on my 45G net. That ammount does make me nervous.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
NanoTopia NanoTopia 目前離線
Believer

Let me know how it goes.

Yes, bryopsis can live in low nutrient system if the light is strong, not much one can do other than increase the trace metals (Kent Magnesium) which I have tried with negative effect on corals and only marginal success on depleting bryopsis. I believe there are several species of bryopsis, some are easily eradicated with the Kent Mg and others no.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:38 AM
DavidEwen DavidEwen 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Christine,
This is a beautiful setup. Can you post the details of your rack build? I'm in the beginning stages of setting up an aquarium after many years of respite and this is the cleanest install I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2019, 08:44 AM
JMac JMac 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

this is an awesome looking setup, you obviously have the dedication it takes to be a successful hobbyist....congratulations