zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
4 Featured Tank . Benyamin Givi (Mr.Happy) - Tehran - Iran
Last Post: ROBs Reef
Posted On: Today
Replies: 10
Views: 8,540
0 Suitable dosing container
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 1
Views: 32
0 Unable to reduce Nitrate
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 23
Views: 536
0 Helping dosing zeo system.
Replies: 51
Views: 2,607
0 Considering a move to zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 23
Views: 499
0 Zeostart NO3 and low PO4
Last Post: blackizzz
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 154
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Posted On: 03-21-2019
Replies: 314
Views: 45,754
0 Start with zeovit method (running tank)
Posted On: 03-21-2019
Replies: 86
Views: 5,194
0 Buy Genuine directly from Germany!
Last Post: sewatec
Posted On: 03-19-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 92
0 DIY Auto Zeovit Reactor
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 03-19-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 257
More...
Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default Return to zeovit

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
220 Gallons

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
~190 Gallons

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
No dosing yet but plan to use ESV B-IONIC 2 part as I have before - of course, open to recommendations.

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) NO
5. Are you using Ozone NO
6. Are you using UV NO
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
Regal 200 INT (250g Medium bioload)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
.02(ULNS Hannah) and 0 (Red Sea)
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
422, 7.4, 1230
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
Filter socks, Carbon Bag (kneaded weekly), marine pure block

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
4x Radion G3 Pro - ABS for 5 hrs and then all blue for 4 hours.
5 hours @ 60% intensity - 100% blue/white and 25% RGB
5 hours @ 40% intensity - 100% blue/white/uv 5% RGB
1hr sunrise/sunset for a total of 12 hrs daily.

12. What corals do you keep -
3 sps and 6 softies.
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
Dark
14. How long has the tank been running
7 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
I love it and had used it successfuly before.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) N/A
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
I added about 130lbs of live rock at set up 7 months ago.
18. Any present problems
Brown slimey stuff on rocks?
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) not currently.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Hanna checkers and Red Sea

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
Zeolite: 1.8l every 4 - 6 weeks
Zeobak: 6 drops - Mon & Fri
ZeoStart: .04 2x daily
ZeofoodP: 16 drops Wed & Sun (48 drops daily first week of every month)
CV: 6 drops Tue, Thur & Sat
PholsXtra: 4ml Mon/We/Fri

Current problem solving attempt:
CoralSnow+: 10ml Tue & Sat
CyanoClean: 16 drops Tue & Sat (alternate with Snow on Tue and B-Balance Saturday)
B-Balance:

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity 35, Temp: 76-78. pH 8.01-.02 stable (apex monitored)
23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea Salt(NOT pro)

Hello all, glad to be back. I ran a 120g Zeovit tank from 2010-2014 Very succesfuly and I absolutely fell in love with the system. After a few life challenges(a divorce and a natural disaster that left me homeless twice in a 4 year span) I am back on my feet and Reefing again!

The tank was started with ZeoVit from the begining, dry sand, rock and all new equipment. after 2 months of cyclying I slowly added some corals and 4 fish. Purple Tank, Sailfin, Coral beauty and a diamond goby.

Starting in early Jan the tank got really brown not sure if algae or cyano or both. During the holidays, I had to travel a lot and I did have about 2 months of not being able to tend to my tank and water changes were NOT done during this time, which I attributed to my set back. no problem, right? I changed the zeolite once my schedule stabilized in mid January and I wiped my tank, problem... lol I killed about 10 SPS frags and a few softies. So I pulled all coral out and just let it ride and did 30% water changes 3x a week for 2 weeks and then since weekly.

I have chagned the zeolite since 2x and currently am running 1.8l in the reactor and dosing .4ml start cause I don't know what this brown stuff is!!! it looks more slimy than anything else. I am dosing Snow, cyanoClean and BBalance as my research of the forums has suggested(dosing posted above)

As of today the sand is about -95% clean but the rock has not shown a lot of improvement, should I scrub it off?

So - any ideas are appreciated. I have been away from the hobby 4 years and things have changed plenty so I feel like a total noob :P
Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Here is a link to some photos of my tank's algae/slime stuff.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nAbzKmnaqTrT33jk9
Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler

If it is dinoflagallates scrubbing will just spread it but if you havent tried I would try it once and see for yourself if it goes away.

ITs hard to tell with those pictures.

When you were on vacation was some one else feeding the tank. It might have just been that
Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Hello Z33K, welcome back

I read the message and image link about tank.

I don't have much thought at the moment, the dose looks good.

The biology on the substrate does not seem to be very good, the substrate looks like algae, and the back partition has an organic substance on it.

Try toothbrush cleaning - remove debris from organic matter on the substrate and any algae visible in the eye

Keep your approach Zeo Coral Snow
If you like, I think getting Zeo Zym should be a good choice.

If you get some functional creatures, will they eat it? You can try it

Marine pure block, I have no experience
Zeo Food Plus, I have no experience

If it is me, I will try Zeo Sponge Power and may have some acceleration and help.

Understanding ZeoVit reactor flow is good

In addition, I think that "brown" looks like it is caused by the addition of amino acid, but it seems to be good from the dose.

If it is me, because your narrative coral is dark, reduce the dose by 1/2,It looks like the level of nutrition is rising ,The number of corals does not seem to be much ,Try to reduce organic matter
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

I want to clarify - I don't dose B Balance, I do A-Balance. I made a typo in op but I cannot edit post.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
If it is dinoflagallates scrubbing will just spread it but if you havent tried I would try it once and see for yourself if it goes away.

ITs hard to tell with those pictures.

When you were on vacation was someone else feeding the tank. It might have just been that
No feeding, in fact, the tank was completely left alone and ran by my apex.

Images are high quality and you can zoom in - but I understand it's still hard to tell.

I really don't think its dinos for a few reasons - my tangs/snails nip at it and are still alive... I know it sounds cruel but I understand if fish or snails eat dino's they are likely to die? when this first started it looked a LOT like cyano and the sump was covered in this stuff as well. They don't grow in darkness I think? my sump is not lit. I just kept scooping and vacuuming and now there's very little in my sump mostly just the rock and some of the back where I can't reach very well.

I also want to note, I stopped using filter socks, I was using mesh ones and they would get clogged by this stuff fast, it grew on the OUTSIDE of the sock and I think that's when It propagated a lot in my sump.

I don't really know what it is, and it's really confusing to me...
Old 03-13-2019, 09:18 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Water does not look so clear, will the quality of the cornerstone be a problem? (Looks ok), is the ocean pure block a problem? (Are you trying to remove it if the situation improves)

Can you give us more tank pictures and Sump pictures?

As for Dino, if you are willing to get a microscope, it may be a good way to distinguish (may be picture relationship, I don't look like Dino problem)

It feels like the bacteria are immature, the substance released by an object, and the dry live rock makes the system take a while, forcing the current biology to be not very good, instead being replaced by the current situation.

We can try to treat it as algae, reduce algae, confirm that Ro water is of good quality, change water every week, ZeoCoral Snow, mix with Zeo Bac (when you add Zeo Bac), and try Zeo Zym for 1 week. 2 times, the toothbrush is clean, remove the pure block of the ocean, filter the socks to change, skimmer adjusts the wet, does the coral grow? If not, then the current element can be reduced by 1/2 in time to see if the situation improves.

Listen to see other people's better suggestions
Old 03-14-2019, 03:04 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

If those are no Dinoflagellate there are many reasons for the brown film. Does the film disappear while the dark period growing back quick in the morning when lights are switched on again ?

Can you please share a picture of your sump ?

G.Alexander
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

ok - with daylight only I was able to take better pictures, sorry I'm not very good with a camera... They are added to the same album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nAbzKmnaqTrT33jk9

I scraped the back glass and one of the rocks last night during a water change. In the daylight, this looks a lot more green and you can see a lot of dark red too I assume cyano? specially

@ G. Alexander - its hard to take pictures of my sump its crowded and dark. this is the best I could do, I can try to take pictures with a flashlight if needed. Also, no - they don't come back, you can see the rock I cleaned last night at the top is still rather clean this morning, the sand also does not repopulate very fast after I vacuum it. I purposely did NOT vacuum the sand last night to show you better pictures. Last time I vacuumed sand was 2 weeks ago during last water change and that's all the growth since. Alexander, did you see any issue with my dosing? should I speed up Coral Snow to daily?? I lowered ZeoStart from .06 to .04 initially thinking it would help, it has been about a month.

@ Jacky - thanks for the advice! I did not have an opinion on the marine pure block to remove it, It just extra surface area, are advising against it? Also, you helped me realize I've not yet dosed SP or zeozym, should I begin?

There was a LOT of cyano in late-January, which is why I started to dose A-Balance+cyanoclean. I did an initial dose of 100ml and have been dosing 10mil+16 drops CC every week for now 4 weeks on Saturdays.

Am I just being impatient? I've seen improvement but this is now month 3 of me trying to fix this and not getting the fast results I guess I expected.

This was the tank just before I neglected it for 2 months after cycling for 2 months with Zeo.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tfg79UsZxv5pefsh6
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Z33K Z33K ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

I just tested reactor flow to be 288 Lp/h

I captured 2.4 litters in 30 seconds - multiplied by 120 and got = 288 is this accurate and if so it's low right? should I raise it? I think it should be closer to 400 lph at 1.8l zeolite?

Last edited by Z33K; 03-14-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Bugger Bugger ثeuW
ZEOdabbler

How long where you gone on vacation without feeding the tank. That could be an issue. You may have broken the cycle and bacteria stopped growing and you had another cycling advent in the tank. Snails will just not eat it dinos and still remain in the tank they lived in my case
Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Thank you for the additional pictures, they are much better. From the pictures I would indeed say those are not Dinos but other kind of slime algae / cyano. I would recommend you to give the system more time, main reason for the film is IMO a leak of biology because of the dry rocks, it just takes more time.

As there are not much corals in the system, I would recommend to adjust your dosage:

ZeoBac – 8 drops every other day mixed with 16 ml Coral Snow for 2 weeks + 16 drops CyanoClean
ZeoStart – 0.8 ml 2 x daily, you can increase the dosage slowly to see if the film does increase

Stop dosing ZeoFood, CoralVitalizer and XTra at the moment.

Additional vacuum the sand every week while the regular water changes and remove the film on glass and rocks manual with a brush. Use filter bags in your sump temporary after removing the film manually.

My recommendation is also to remove the marine pure block adding some good quality live rock to the sump instead.

G.Alexander
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Brown film, algae, cyano, bacteria - maybe this is

Amino Acid-Containing AA, AA lps, Xtra, Xtra Special, Food7

Zeo Sponge Power is currently not recommended to add, (Sorry, I gave a bad suggestion in the last reply, please forgive me.)

Zeo Start3 Excessive brown film is also formed during illumination, but start3 cannot be stopped. It is recommended to use x2 per day, as recommended by G.Alexander (observation case)

Zeo CV - excess, brown mucosa

Potassium excess - algae growth, brown film

May be like this

Stop food and nutrient supplements, 1:2 ratio Zeo Bac+Zeo Coral Snow, toothbrush clean, scrape, (anywhere, eyes see algae), change water (make sure Ro water quality is good), Skimmer wet, Replacement filter socks

The high quality live rock can really help the growth of biology. The dry stone takes a fairly long time (the system looks like there is no life, boring, calm, I don't know how to describe it)

Old 03-16-2019, 01:06 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Marine pure block - I have not used it experience, usually in Sump, skimmer, ZeoVit reactor, Zeo activated carbon, high quality live rock is enough

The features and features of Zeo's basic knowledge products and ZeoVit materials and premium Live Rock, I think it is superior and replaces the pure block of the ocean.