zeovit.com BulkReefsupply  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Mein Kleines Wohnzimmerriff
Last Post: ArturW33
Posted On: Today
Replies: 65
Views: 8,851
0 new member
Last Post: artisson
Replies: 4
Views: 81
0 3 weeks in, high po4
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 5
Views: 72
0 Flatworm Stop & Polyclads
Last Post: skr791346
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 136
0 bryopsis problem
Last Post: Aquajan
Replies: 6
Views: 546
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 412
Views: 111,039
0 High no3 and po4
Last Post: babajaga
Replies: 82
Views: 5,044
0 New Start
Replies: 69
Views: 5,368
0 Cloudy water?
Replies: 12
Views: 1,712
0 GIVEAWAY: Kamoer FX-STP WiFi Dosing Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 02-18-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 245
More...
Old 02-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default New tank, witch addatives to dose?

Hi all,

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 350 Ltr
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 280 Ltr
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) rowa phos in reactor witch I removed when I started with zeovit
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV - removed when starting zeovit
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Bubble magnus C7
8. What are your actual PO4 0.00 and NO3 4ppm
9. What are your actual Ca 450 Alk 8 and Mg 1440
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) rollermat compact, zeo reactor, Skimmer, 150ml rowa carbon in a bag (dosed nopox befor zeovit).
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2x Hydra 26 on brs ab+ settings + 2xt5 blue plus, 300-150 par.
12. What corals do you keep - Stylophora, sertiopora, acropora, millepora, euphyllia, calustrea, Montipora branch/plate, duncanstrea, acanstrea and blastomussa.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) I don't really know.. I would guess dark compared to the photos of a zeo tank.
14. How long has the tank been running - 6 months total, 4 months with fish, 2 months with corals.
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system want to make an stunning mixed reef tank and have the most confidence in the zeovit system.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) 2500ml saturated kalkwasser and 16ml kh + a day.
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 25 kg aquaforest synthetic rock, 2kg maxpect spheres and 1 block marine pure.
18. Any present problems. I added 5 acros last week and 2 out of 5 rtned in 2 days.. The other 3 look fine and the green slimmer I already have looks good to.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
Alk and Po4 checker, mag aquaforest, CA No3 red sea pro
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) 3ml zeo bak 3 ml zeo food for first 2 weeks and 6x0.1ml on doser each day as the zeovit guide recommended so start with when converting to zeovit.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Salinity 34, Temp 25.4
23. Which salt brand do you use - Tropic marin pro reef

So I'm converting my tank to the zeovit system now.
I've put in the zeovit last Tuesday.
I have put 60% of the recommended amount in the reactor (420ml) at a flow rate of 150lph (not on a 3hr interval.. Is it better to do this?) .
I am currently dosing zeo bak, food and start and planning to dose only those for the first 6 weeks.

But what to dose after that?
I want my corals to be healthy in the first place and grow fast at second and have butifull colors at second as the frags are all so small.

There is alot of info on what every KZ addative does and how to use it but not really mutch on how to use them together or witch ones are or are not compatible with each other.
It seems to me that dose zeo food, Xtra, vitalizer, coral snow, sponge power and both amino's all together at their own dosing recommendations it not a good idea

So i can't really figure out what to dose my tank..
Are there any guides on this or good advices?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200207_190914.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	23833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200207_191057.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	23834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200207_191038.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	23835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200207_191046.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	23836  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:44 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I would recommend you to continue dosing as follows:

3 drops ZeoBac daily until the first 10 days have passed, than reduce to 2 x weekly until the next ZeoVit exchange. ZeoBac is dosed daily after each ZeoVit exchange.

0.28 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily

3 drops SpongePower every other day if you already have this product

Necessary quantity of ZeoVit for your system is 0.7 liters with a reactor flow of ~ 280 liters per hour. Using a lower quantity with a lower flow at the beginning is fine, you can increase the quantity and the flow about 2 weeks after the first ZeoVit exchange when all corals are doing well. First ZeoVit exchange would be after 4 weeks, future exchange can be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

It seems like you have removed all the PO4 absorber at once, this might cause temporary increase of PO4, its always better to remove the absorber slowly step by step over a couple of weeks. As a bacteria driven system ZeoVit does need some time before it does process nutrients effective. Keep a close eye on the PO4 level.

Additional products can be used later once the system runs stable, this would also be the right time to remove the marine pure block.

I would also recommend you to stop dosing Kalkwasser:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showpost.p...34&postcount=5

Also make sure that the other additives you use to balance Ca, Mg and KH does not contain additional trace elements otherwise they might just darken the coral tissue.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

G.Alexander
Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 AM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the reply.

I have tested potassium and it is 420 measured with the salifert.. I have also tested my reference fluid (new bottle) with a K value of 395 and it tested 420 too.
So I think it is safe to say my potassium is around 390-400.
And it is indeed not wise too remove the Po4 remover all at once... Just meshured Po4 and it is 0.018 after it has been 0.00 for 2 months.
Should I put some back in?
And I also noticed my No3 raised a bit to 6-8, do I need to crack up te flow of the zeo reactor or just let it go?

I have read about the kalkwasser is fueling algae but I do really want the high ph..
So I have to find a good alternative first.. Will soda ash raise ph the same?

I've got the sponge power and dose it instead of zeo food.
Is there any reason why not to dose zeo food? The guide recommends it but I see most people don't dose it..

And I don't use any trace elements, the addatives I have to correct ca alk an mg are from Dsr.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:17 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Should not put some more, execute the Zeo system conversion plan given by G., and use Zeo Sponge Power 3 drops every other day. Zeo Food is retained in the low-nutrition water environment for the purpose of adjusting the appearance of corals

The problem of NO3 is not very urgent, you should pay close attention to the PO4 level and should not rise. Usually, the system is switched, and the zeolite reactor is turned on / off in 3hr. If you can't do this, it can be performed at a slower speed or 1/2 of the flow rate per hour.

The size of the reactor flow (flow rate) does affect the level of nutrition. Zeo is a bacterial system and gives the system some time. Tank is in a transition state and it is recommended to proceed "slowly". Rather than adjusting NP at once.

PH value. I think as long as the salinity remains correct and stable, unless the pH is really abnormal. I ’m not a chemist. Your answer is "yes", but it has a lot to do with it. I just keep KH stable
What's your pH level?
Old 02-09-2020, 06:45 AM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Hi thanks for replying.

I am indeed now following the dosing advice of Alexander.

And I used nopox befor so I know that the bacteria need time to colonize, but I thought that maybe as No3 and Po4 are rising I could raise the flow (now 150lph on 420ml media witch is 60% of normal media) though te reactor to compensate as the zeovit takes up some ammonia..
But I guess that awnser is no and just let it go as it is right now.

And the Po4 seems to be rising right now.. Do I need to put the rowaphos reactor back in? Maby with 50% of now al amount?

My ph is between 8.15 and 8.30 now with 2500ml of saturated kalkwasser a day but without kalkwasser it is more 7.8 to 8 ish.
I know 7.8 and above is fine but a ph of 8,3 make corals grow alot faster witch is nice right now with all my little frags

I understand that the kalkwasser is storing some Po4 in
aragonite stone and sand and leatch it out when ph locally drops by bacterial processes.
So that this can result in algae problems while Po4 is undetectable.
And it might interfere with the zeobak bacterial chain (I don't know).

But a good kalk alternative witch is not very expensive like the co2 scrubbers..
I can only think of soda ash but I don't think it has the same inpact on ph as kalk does.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Rowaphos products should not be used again, keeping Zeo's base product plan. Pay attention to PO4, as long as it does not rise to a lot, or it changes sharply. Even if it rises, I think it is acceptable, after all, the system takes some time.
Instead of "pulling" the PO4 level again, keep the Zeo plan, and that's it

[Your idea is good, this opened me to additional ideas, maybe trying BioMate, it may be feasible, this is just my idea, let us follow G.'s plan]

Kalkwasser products are also not recommended, use other alternatives to replace them, monitor Kh at any time, and should not float significantly. And gradually keep it at Kh 6.5 ~ 7.5 Ca 400 ~ 420

Ph7.8 I think it's ok, so as not to affect too much, I can't tell you about the differences between Ph7.8 and 8.3, but there may be other things that are more interesting.

Calcium reactors and commercially available products (Kh solution) are good solutions,No matter which way, because of the relationship between the formula or the concentration, of course, "tested" is the best way to keep Kh stable.

Put another way, can you tell me Ph7.8 and 8.3, what changed the coral? There may be differences (I don't know), but I don't think the Ph7.8 level really affects the corals much. If you want to improve this problem, there are other ways.

From another perspective, some people pay attention to the ORP value, but currently it seems that there is not too much attention in the use of the Zeo system. Of course, I don't have any related equipment for ORP, and I can't say anything

Last edited by jacky; 02-09-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:03 AM
ZEOadmin

As you have recently remove the PO4 absorber it might be a good idea to add 1/3 of the recommended quantity you have used before. Just prevent quick PO4 changes now by adding to much absorber again. If the level stays at it is it would be perfect. Lets keep the absorber for the next 3 weeks, than start slowly to remove it step by step while monitoring PO4.

Because of NO3 I would recommend no special “action” just continue as planned.

Systems with a PH level of 7.8 are working extremely well and coral growth can be massive. I would not care much about it if the level comes down a little bit.

ZeoFood does also contain elements to nourish corals which are not really necessary at the moment. I would recommend to use it later once the system runs nutrient poor stabile to improve coral coloration.

G.Alexander
Old 02-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I've looked back at the ph values of the past months and overal the kalk is not making a significant diffrance it seems.. just 0.1 point.
But that probably is also due to the algae from the cycle started to fade as I started using the rowaphos too.

So I don't like it but I'm gonna pull the kalk off and dose the DSR Kh+ and Ca+.

Do I need to make the change slow?
Or can I just switch over to 2 part?

Can I let the Ca drop by not dosing it for a few days or dose it a bit less than it is used as it is 450 now?
Or better let it be during the zeovit transition?

And i have just meshured Po4 again and it dropped a little to 0.015 in 2 days so maybe leave the rowaphos out for now and keep a close eye to the Po4?
To be honest I never really had high Po4.. I just added the maximum amount of recommended rowaphos to kill off most of the algae.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I was just looking for a new buckler of kh+ and I see the DSR products have a PH+ too witch is basicly the KH+ but 2x stronger and it raises ph..
It does not tell exactly what's in it except it is not NaOH but it only raises ph and kh and it it does not contain trace elements.

Could I use this if the ph would drop to a lower point in time or do you not recommend this?
Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 AM
ZEOadmin

Personally I would do the change slow step by step, this will also give you a better feeling and more time to adjust the new dosing method without causing higher parameter swing.

I would also recommend to decrease Ca by decreasing the dosage temporary instead of stopping the additions completely.

If the PO4 level already comes down it might make sense to not use the absorber again, lets regular measure the level to prevent a increase.

Because of the KH supplement I do not have experience with it but most people I know which supplement KH do use a supplement for KH only.

G.Alexander
Old 02-11-2020, 04:42 AM
Aquajan Aquajan 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Ok I will do that.
I think the DSR PH+ is just sodium bicarbonate.. The dose to raise 1 kh per liter is exactly the same.
Probably just go with arm & hammer baking soda witch is widely used and is a pure Alk addative.

Thanks for the help so far