zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > Livestock Forums > Pests - General Discussion

Active Threads
0 GIVEAWAY: CaribSea Life Rock and Moani Shrooms Dry Reef Rock
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 GIVEAWAY: MicMol Aqua CC LED Light For Nano & Planted Aquariums
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 91
0 Farbgebung verbessern
Last Post: michaelb12
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 21
Views: 4,282
0 Ecotech country of origin ?
Last Post: XERXIES_333
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 60
0 Mein Kleines Wohnzimmerriff
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 62
Views: 7,870
0 A couple issues
Last Post: Catbaciu
Posted On: 01-21-2020
Replies: 16
Views: 555
0 Returning to reefing...
Last Post: Nuuze
Posted On: 01-21-2020
Replies: 25
Views: 2,675
0 Sabbia letto bianco
Last Post: Fabiomassimo
Posted On: 01-20-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 50
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: ycnibrc
Posted On: 01-20-2020
Replies: 40
Views: 11,207
0 Newbie - Where To Start
Last Post: UncleFester
Posted On: 01-20-2020
Replies: 21
Views: 636
More...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:43 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: uk
Posts: 37
Default Dinoflagellates

I have 350L setup which has been running around 2 years. I converted to Zeovit 3-4 months ago so its still fairly early days for my system.

One of the reasons i wanted to switch to Zeovit was to improve my coral health/colouration. I also wanted to reduce my nutrients as i was having some issues with a little Cyano algae. I know believe i am actually dealing with Dinoflagellates rather than Cuano. In the last few months i have tried a 5 day blackout. This cleared up the dinos but they returned a week later. I then tried another 5 day blackout and also dosed Fauna Marin Dino-X for (full 20 day treatment). The Dinos were gone but its been two weeks now and i can see they're slowly returning.

My parameters are:

- PO4 = 0.16ppm (slowly reducing as i have increase reactor flow)
- NO3 = 5ppm
- Salinity = 33ppt
- KH = 7.6
- MG = 1480
- CAL = 450
- K+ = 420
- 0TDS RODI water.
- 10% weekly water changes

My zeovit dosage regime is:
- ZeoStart = 0.3ml twice a day (morning & evening)
- Zeobak = 3 drops daily for 2 weeks after stone change. Then 3 drops twice a week.
- Zeofood = 3 drops every 2 days (stopped dosing this as seems to make dinos worse).
- CoralSnow = 3ml twice a week.
- Sponge Power = 3 drops every 2 days (stopped dosing this as making dinos worse)
- Change zeo stones every 6 weeks (800ml with 300lph flow through reactor)

I have been reading through some of the dino posts on various forums. From what i can see the best way to beat them is by out competing them. In other words by increasing the tanks biodiversity and marine fauna (ie: starter bacteria, macroalgae, phyto, copepods etc).

What would be the best way to increase my tanks biodiversity whilst running Zeovit? Can i add macroalgae and other brands of bacteria? Should i increase my Zeobak dosage?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preecy View Post
I have 350L setup which has been running around 2 years. I converted to Zeovit 3-4 months ago so its still fairly early days for my system.



One of the reasons i wanted to switch to Zeovit was to improve my coral health/colouration. I also wanted to reduce my nutrients as i was having some issues with a little Cyano algae. I know believe i am actually dealing with Dinoflagellates rather than Cuano. In the last few months i have tried a 5 day blackout. This cleared up the dinos but they returned a week later. I then tried another 5 day blackout and also dosed Fauna Marin Dino-X for (full 20 day treatment). The Dinos were gone but its been two weeks now and i can see they're slowly returning.



My parameters are:



- PO4 = 0.16ppm (slowly reducing as i have increase reactor flow)

- NO3 = 5ppm

- Salinity = 33ppt

- KH = 7.6

- MG = 1480

- CAL = 450

- K+ = 420

- 0TDS RODI water.

- 10% weekly water changes



My zeovit dosage regime is:

- ZeoStart = 0.3ml twice a day (morning & evening)

- Zeobak = 3 drops daily for 2 weeks after stone change. Then 3 drops twice a week.

- Zeofood = 3 drops every 2 days (stopped dosing this as seems to make dinos worse).

- CoralSnow = 3ml twice a week.

- Sponge Power = 3 drops every 2 days (stopped dosing this as making dinos worse)

- Change zeo stones every 6 weeks (800ml with 300lph flow through reactor)



I have been reading through some of the dino posts on various forums. From what i can see the best way to beat them is by out competing them. In other words by increasing the tanks biodiversity and marine fauna (ie: starter bacteria, macroalgae, phyto, copepods etc).



What would be the best way to increase my tanks biodiversity whilst running Zeovit? Can i add macroalgae and other brands of bacteria? Should i increase my Zeobak dosage?
These posts you see on forums like R2R are baseless in my openion. I have yet to see a decent reef that went thru this treatment and survived long term. I know this is not what you looking for, just be careful you mess your biological filtration too much you end up dealing with other issues.
First of all make sure you dealing with dino. Only microscope image can tell for sure, alot of reefers confuse cyano or cyano+diatom with dino.

I once got dino and the only thing that worked was a European treatment called phycoEx..

I stopped browsing forums like R2R cause its filled with bad advices, gangs who lead new reefers to their doom and the forum is nothing but walking advertisements for vendors
I only brows zeovit forums now.

Let's start by confirming you indeed have dino.
Can you get us some pics?
Did you examine under the microscope?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36,143
Default

I had a similar issue with my tank long ago. Reason was some kind of a material which has leached any kind of a substance those Dinoflaggelate love. I had this issue over a couple of month and was not able to get it under control. After I removed the “material” they disappear within 1 day and never came back. Have you already checked your system for such a possibility ? Hoses, filtration materials, tubing are some possibilities. Maybe a good picture of your sump would be helpful additional.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2019, 05:56 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: uk
Posts: 37
Default

Thanks for the advise Ohashimz, very useful.

I'm 99% sure its Dinos as its very reactive to light, fading away when the lights go out and coming back when the lights ramp up. All my snails and shrimp have died in the last few months. I believe this is down to the toxins Dinos produce. The blackouts and DinoX treatment were both very effective but the Dinos seem to come back shortly after.

I've ordered a basic microscope which i should receive in the next few days. Hopefully this will give me a better idea of what strain of Dinoflaggletts i am dealing with.

My energy supplier swapped out my electric meter yesterday. This involved temporarily turning off the power supply to my house. My aquarium was without electric for 20 minutes. Before the engineer turned the power back on I took a photo of my tank water. You can see the free floating Dinos beginning to merge together As soon as the power came back on they all separated and my water looks crystal clear once again.



My sump only contains a Deltec skimmer, Zeovit reactor, Ocean Runner return pump (new 2 weeks ago), bag of a.carbon and some maxspec bio-balls. Along with the KZ products i am currently only dosing Red Sea KH baling solution.

Perhaps i should empty, clean my sump and replace the tubing?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,355
Default

So can you post more clear pictures about sump, maybe can find out what
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Carrico Carrico 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sao Paulo
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I had a similar issue with my tank long ago. Reason was some kind of a material which has leached any kind of a substance those Dinoflaggelate love. I had this issue over a couple of month and was not able to get it under control. After I removed the material they disappear within 1 day and never came back. Have you already checked your system for such a possibility ? Hoses, filtration materials, tubing are some possibilities. Maybe a good picture of your sump would be helpful additional.

G.Alexander

Alexander, could you tell me what material you suspected and pulled out of your reef?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,355
Default

I talked about my experience. Before, my tank was also troubled by Dino. You can smell a pungent smell near the sump (especially after adding Zeo Start, the pungent smell is stronger), I am looking for it. Any suspicious opportunities, also tried the observation of "individual" Zeo products, and even suspected source water problems, lighting, titration of containers, titration of hoses, changing of water containers, adding live rock, adding other strains, Zym+bac +snow, etc. Later, I accidentally discovered that there is a plastic toy product in the sump. Looking back, it really looks like a pungent plastic smell. When I removed it, the problem quickly returned to normal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2019, 10:39 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 560
Default

I second that.
In my case it was a vinyle tube foot long that was leaching silicon among other elements that fueled the dino.
The phycoex and removing the tubing, then 48 hours dark treatment(wrapped the tank so not a spec of light pass did the trick and never had it again...
Also indeed look like what you have is dino. Dying snails is strong indication, only dino poison snails...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2019, 10:40 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 560
Default

Btw am bit confused what's your system.
Are you on zeovit or biopellet or redsea program?
Whatever upir biological filtration and what's your current po4/no3 are you sure ou are not at zero po4?
What test kits you use?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,355
Default

In the picture, there are additional ideas about the Dino problem, sand. What kind of sand is it? The combination of wet sand, many people have also encountered the problem of constant algae/cyano content. After removing and replacing it with some dry material, these problems disappeared. It is good to know what kind of sand it is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2019, 03:40 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
Alexander, could you tell me what material you suspected and pulled out of your reef?

Thank you!
In my case it was a blue hose which was sold to me as pure silicone. The hose had a length of about 15 cm while the total water volume was ~ 1000 liters.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-15-2019, 01:13 PM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: uk
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohashimz View Post
Btw am bit confused what's your system.
Are you on zeovit or biopellet or redsea program?
Whatever upir biological filtration and what's your current po4/no3 are you sure ou are not at zero po4?
What test kits you use?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I am running Zeovit (Zeolite, Zeobak, ZeoStart, KZ CoralSnow). I use RedSea for salt and KH buffer and also use an unbranded Active Carbon which my LFS uses/sells.

The only tubing in my tank is 'Ehim hosing' from my return pump and some dosing tubes (not sure if this is silicon or not?).

Microscope will hopefully arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed i should at least know what strain of dinos im dealing with.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 PM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 36,143
Default

From my experience the green aquarium hoses will leach softeners in saltwater as they are getting harder and harder over the time. I would recommend to just use 100% silicone hoses.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2019, 11:45 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Asia
Posts: 2,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
From my experience the green aquarium hoses will leach softeners in saltwater as they are getting harder and harder over the time. I would recommend to just use 100% silicone hoses.

G.Alexander
Thank you G.Alexander. This means Ehim hoses for fresh water instead of sea water. learned
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:00 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: uk
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
From my experience the green aquarium hoses will leach softeners in saltwater as they are getting harder and harder over the time. I would recommend to just use 100% silicone hoses.

G.Alexander

Ah ok. I'll replace the hose and see if this helps. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 49 (0 members and 49 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7, Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by ZeoVit.com