zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Transferring corals to ULNS
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 9
Views: 179
0 Austria Zeovit Reef 2.0
Last Post: Peter.
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 124
Views: 31,047
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 377
Views: 79,612
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 10-19-2019
Replies: 22
Views: 22,380
0 AEFW Acro Strudelwrmer bek鄝pfen
Last Post: "Alex"
Posted On: 10-19-2019
Replies: 19
Views: 427
0 New Guy Here.
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 18
Views: 532
0 Monthly Operating Costs?
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 12
Views: 233
0 GIVEAWAY: Bubble Magus Z Series Protein Skimmer
Posted On: 10-16-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 88
0 GIVEAWAY: Target Feeding Corals with Two Little Fishies Julian's Thing
Replies: 2
Views: 174
0 New exclusiv importer for US - Bulk Reef Supply Inc
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 1
Views: 138
More...
Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM
theschubinator theschubinator 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Question about carbon.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but can't seem to figure out how to create one myself :-(. I am as well converting my current system over to Zeovit. My question is with running carbon. I've always ran my carbon in a carbon reactor. Is this still safe to do? I see the Zeovit guide only mentions placing in a mesh bag? Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:16 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschubinator View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but can't seem to figure out how to create one myself :-(. I am as well converting my current system over to Zeovit. My question is with running carbon. I've always ran my carbon in a carbon reactor. Is this still safe to do? I see the Zeovit guide only mentions placing in a mesh bag? Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thank you!
Hello theschubinator, the new tank and the system conversion, their way is different. If you can, open a new thread and fill in the basic information about tank, which will give you more details about your tank.

I don't know much about the activated carbon brand you use. Most users use korallenzucht toner to get the perfect result. Yes, usually use a mesh bag, replace it for 30 days, put it in a sump, passive flight.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
12. What corals do you keep
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any present problems
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-26 07.27.00.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	22377   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-26 07.39.15.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	22379  

Last edited by jacky; 09-25-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Usually for the transfer it is better to use it in a mash bag, if this is not a option a reactor can also be sued but the quantity has to be reduced to 50%, replacement in this case is every 3 weeks.

G.Alexander
Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Default What does ULNS actually mean?

I'm just curious as to what I should expect with the Zeovit system now that I've started it up. When I read you should see undetectable levels of Nitrate and Phosphate. What exactly does that mean. I've always heard you do not want to have 0 in your tank, b/c the corals need SOME to grow.

So the question is, what should I be looking for when I test/monitor my tank water. I test my PO4 with Hanna Check's and my Nitrate with Nyos Nitrate test kit. Should I be shooting for 0s accross the board here with the tests? Or do I want to have like 0.1 PO4 showing up on the Hanna Checker still?

As mentioned earlier here is my whole tank setup....

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 150Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - Approx 120 Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - no
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - no
5. Are you using Ozone - no
6. Are you using UV - no, took it offline when I started Zeovit
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Coral Vue AC20287, needle wheel rated up to 210gallons
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels NO3 - 12/PO4 0.4 at the start of using Zeovit
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels 420Ca, 8.9 Alk 1220Mg
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - was using a Algae Scrubber, took it offline with I started Zeovit
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 2 sets of Kessil AP700 LEDS
12. What corals do you keep - Mainly mixed LPS and a couple Acros, and montis. But that is one reason I switched to Zeovit. I want to get more SPS.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - Green acros looks bright, my only pink acro is a little bleached at the tips. But the pink acro also seems to be the faster growing
14. How long has the tank been running about 14months now
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Want to have the best corals possible! Also, there is like this green stain that I'm assuming is some form of green algae on my rocks that I just can't get rid of. Hoping this can help with that! Even soaking the roacks with baking soda did nothing to remove it
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - been dosing Red Sea for a couple months. Bottles almost gone, and will probably does nothing for a while and observe Zeovit. Then in a couple months switch over to dosing some Zeovit supplements when/if needed
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - Approx 100lb + one of the BIG Marine Pure ceramic blocks
18. Any present problems mainly just the green stain on the rocks and brown film growing on glass tank. Have to clear glass dailiy to keep it prestine
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) same as above...would like better growth from corals. Some frags have barely grown in the 14 months its been running
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna Checker UL for PO4, Hanna Check for dKH, Red Sea for Ca, and Mg, an Nyosfor Nitrate
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) 1.025 Salinity, Temp --- has been around 82 all summer, finally getting it back down to 78. With open windows, my PH has also gone up from 8.1-8.2 to as high as 8.5! in the past couple weeks now
23. Which salt brand do you use Currently, Instant Ocean Reef Mix
Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Zeovit is a system that combines bacterial sources to help remove excess nutrients. Some have labeled it as one of the first widely publicized ultra low nutrition systems or ULNS. The idea is to simulate natural seawater (NSW) parameters by reducing nitrate and phosphate levels without lowering other basic parameters such as calcium and magnesium.

Zeo Basic 4 products
Zeo Bac
Zeo start3
Zeo Sponge Power
ZeoVit material from Zeo brand and activated carbon from Zeo brand
( Get these basic products, this is the basis of Zeo)

First of all, reducing nutrition is the first step, let us wait for G.Alexander's professional advice (system conversion)

Try to answer you roughly, question 18.19
( The ZEOvit phase depends on the level of nutrition and the appearance of the coral. The nutrients are relatively high [with "pooling stocks"] and the color of the corals is dim. Polyp extensions may or may not exist.)

During the system conversion process, as time nutrients decrease, it is also recommended that you slowly try to keep the water parameters below the recommendations and try to stabilize it.
Kh 6.5 ~ 7.5
Ca 380~420
Mg 1250~1300
K+~380

Get a potassium test kit, usually potassium 380 mg, you use the needle skimmer model, which requires special attention. Potassium - is very important for the health of corals. If you increase potassium, please pay attention to slow lifting, not too much / too fast, to avoid extra pressure on the coral.

Do you use Ro/di water? Does it pass through the filter and passes through the resin material as the final passage?

For personal taste, the nutritional value is quite high from your narrative and N/P levels. It's hard to say that it will take time to reduce nutrition in the future, but it is not a good thing to reduce nutrient levels too quickly. Your choice is great, I am also a user of Zeo. Keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by jacky; 09-28-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Usually the Zeo system, BIG Marine Pure ceramic block, this is not necessary, it should be removed, it should be good. (Zeo Basic 4 products, really enough for these jobs)

Can you have a clear picture of green algae? Thank you
Old 09-28-2019, 10:28 PM
ZEOadmin

Thank you for the details. As you have started ZeoVit already can you please tell us what exactly you are doing (quantity and interval) also how much ZeoVit material an carbon you have running ? Would also be good to know when you have started with ZeoVit.

Has the PO4 level increased since you have removed the algae scrubber and the PO4 absorber ?

G.Alexander
Old 10-01-2019, 10:05 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Default update

I 'officially' started the Zeovit system on my tank as off 09/25/19. On the first day I read the instructions a little wrong and does 10ml of the Zeostart when I actually should have done 1ml...oops.

Every since then, I've been dosing...
1) ZeoStart 1ml daily (split between morning dose and evening dose)
2) Zeobak 4 drops daily
3) Zeofood 4 drops daily
4) Zeovit stones, using approx .6 - .7 liters. Have my Reactor set to clean the stones for 1 minutes every 6 hours.

I've also been dosing the coral vitalizer to my system for the past 8 months. So I've continued dosing that at 4 drops daily.

Likewise, I've been dosing Red Sea Trace Colors at 3ml daily for the past 8 months. Plan on doing this until my current bottles run out and then converting my trace elements over to the Zeovit system at that point.

As far as nutrients, there has been an increase so far since taking the uv sterializer and algae scrubber offline. Here are my PO4 readings....haven't tested Nitrate since then.

9/22 - Before taking things offline .03
9/28 - .04
10/1 - .08

I just finally got some mesh bags in the mail today. So haven't been running the carbon until NOW. I placed approx .6L of carbin in a mesh bag and have it sitting in my sump. I still have a lot of Bulk Reef Supplies rox 0.8 carbon, and am using that (at least until I use it up).

I was trying to add pictures, but can't figure out how ???
Old 10-01-2019, 10:21 PM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend to continue as follows:

1. Place 1.1 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 120 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.45 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 5 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 5 drops. Dose 0.45 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

4. The additional dosage of some food source for the corals is fine. I would recommend to dose 5 drops Pohls Coral Vitalizer every other day directly in the tank.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration like ZeoFood. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Stop dosing the Red Sea Trace elements at the moment, you might use them later in smaller quantities once the system runs nutrient poor to improve coral coloration.

Basic water parameters looking good, just the KH is a little bit to high, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

You can upload pictures with your post using the button “Manage Attachments”.

G.Alexander
Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Default FollowUP

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple follow up questions.

1. You're suggestion is to use 1.1 liter at a flow rate of 120 gallons. According to Zeovit's official guide they recommend a starting point of less that a liter, and only around 60 gallons of flow. Is there a benefit in adding more zeolite at a higher flow, but stagger the pump on time vs that of zeolite guide?

2. You also recommend to run the skimmer wet. According to the guide they recommend running it dry so not to skim out what is being dosed? Can you further explain this?

I like your suggestion about dosing right by the reactor bump...this makes sense. I've been just placing the drops right into the tank itself.

Also, I am working on getting my KH down some. I think this might be the direct result as to why some of my acros have burnt tips. I think the issue has to do with my dosing method with KALK. It seems my ATO is actually dosing more KALK then my tank is consuming causing some swings. I'm debating about taking this offline and replace with 2 PART. Experimenting at the moment !!!

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

This is some of my thoughts.

1. Is it beneficial to add more zeolite at higher flow rates, but is staggered from the pumping time of the zeolite guide?
(Yes, it is faster to reduce nutrition. However, it is not recommended. Reason 1: Tank exists in animals, 2: Proportion of water and ZeoVit. (System conversion, step by step, let Zeo system gradually replace the original system, and Adapt biological and animal corals slowly in time intervals)

2. Zeo is a powerful system, the first 2 weeks of implementation of the system conversion plan (every day, every other day), including ZeoVit materials and Zeo activated carbon, to reduce nutrition in a balanced manner.
Products after metabolism, nutrients, extra elements, organic matter, etc., are taken out by Skimmer as much as possible, so it is recommended to adjust the wetness. (output, reduce nutrition)

What we want is "reduce nutrition"
If possible, Zeo Bac and Zeo Start try to drip in front of the ZeoVit reactor inlet, avoiding the skimmer inlet.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:26 PM
ZEOadmin

To give the corals some time to adopt it is necessary not to use to much flow through the reactor at the beginning which can be reached by a reduced flow or the described interval. Both does usually work, using the interval has is the method I do recommend since the system is out so I know it does work but you can use the reduced flow instead if you like to.

Wet skimming in conjunction to clean the skimmer daily does export more nutrients which especially in the beginning can be helpful to prevent a increase of nutrients while the transfer.

A natural KH like mention is really necessary, stability of this parameter is important to. Burned tips can also be a result of quick PO4 reductions for example.

G.Alexander