Replies: 3
Views: 127
More...

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default vermetid snails.. and success stories

Hi all,

I am plagued by these critters and willing to go into extreme to get rid of them. What makes the things really painfull to me that I had them over the years in different aquariums but allways just few here and there big ones but they never ever flourished to radical plague proportions as they have now.

Stupidly as it is I was even pleased when I noted first few in this setup,, didnt see it coming..

Can anyone give me success story by example on how you got rid of them? I understand that natural predation is not really working so what are my options really?

thanks
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

Bumble bee snails
Old 12-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

yes I heard about them being possible natural predator (akong with diadema urchins, pufferfishes etc..) but have you really solved your vermetid problem with them...?
Old 12-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

No I still have not bought them(the snails). My problem was so bad I threw out the rocks and bought a bonsia tree from marine west mariculture. I have takin the thing apart twice so far and knife off the worms from the stands and mounts as well but they keep coming back
Old 12-06-2019, 04:16 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Wow, there goes another vermetids horror story.. It seems to me that whenever we speak about pests it is all about aiptasias/majano, flatvorms, nudibranches, valonias, asterinas and other but vermetids appear to be big uncle noone talks about. How is the situation now, still fighting them?

I'd also like to ask about your setup. Is it nutrient poor system? I ask because there is a theory that they would flourish in tanks with bit higher temperature and plenty of detritus and other undisolved organic matter floating arround the tank or iow plenty of food for them. One of the reasons I decided to go BB and zeovit again is to try to starve them out..

Also one interesting theory I got from some other board:

"What I have noticed is that FLOW helps control their numbers. IE FAST FLOW. I run my MP10's at around 85% on CONSTANT in my 47G. It seems like they cannot feed properly using those tiny threads in fast flow. The fast flow breaks up their threads which they catch food particles on. They are restricted to the slow flow areas. I have a bare bottom tank so I am able to run lots of water flow."

I think it makes sense and that is worth considering.. in BB environment one can create rather radical flow

>and knife off the worms from the stands and mounts as well but they keep coming back.

yes, they just retact into the base of their tubes which they eventually grow back. I dont have no dwarf angels not chelmon in my aquarium but it would be interesting to see if they would be picking on them when exposed like that...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

No I use a knife to take the whole thing off the stand the base included. Live rock has to many crevices ; there are no flat surfaces. that is why the bonsia tree is so good http://westmariculture.com/store/

I don't think low nutrients vs high nutrients will do anything they seem to live in both enviroments.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I have blocked their casing with a small ball of coral epoxy, worked well for me if they have not spread massive already.

G.Alexander
Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Nice stuff these bonsia trees.. thanks for bringing them to my attention.. i use reef ceramics..

Yes I heard some people are cementing them with epoxy but im far gone for that option..

I believe all of these little pests thrieve when to much food arround so my first step is to get that in line..

My urchin is doing a nice service where he passes but id need at least 30 of them to vipe
the ceramics clean

Poslano sa mog SM-A605FN koristeći Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

I have run my tank with such low nutrients that my corals died. The snails still made it threw that transit.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I dot know, still got to act... there is a legit question on how to stave them out.. low nutrients or not when cleaning the glass and blasting the junk out of rocks will provide more than enough of food to sustain them..

plan is more or less like this

1. Im syphoning the sand out of my 120g at water changes.. I'll deall with accumulated detritus from rocks aftewards.. than we will do some unseen flow

2. will try to keep them hungry with different strategies to deal with nutrients and flying junk..

3. after first two successfully implemented I'll introduce 20 bumblee snails, and keep em as weel hungry.. no detritus or other food source for them.

4. clean up overflow, plumbing and sump with hot water

some people rapport vermetid snails flourishing and after some time dying away for no apparent reason (of course there is a reason as for everything out there but could not explain it at that time..) Pity i cant just sit this one out.. soon they will start affecting my pumps and other devices, cause all kind of issues..

to bad noone can tell the success strategy based on pesonal experience, short of starting over of course, not here, not on other boards.. yet once again im on my own, lucky me
Old 12-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Silent Silent 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I have heard of people using super glue and epoxy to kill them in their tubes. It could be a long painstaking process but really no different than dealing with algae and other nuisances. Be diligent and get as many as you can as often as you can. It is not overnight success and will take time.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for joining in. Yes, they do but sadly im beyond that point. (2 pics enclosed)

What Im busy with is manual removal and nutrient control. I use flat head screwdriver to break them in their base.. After im done with syphoning the sand and all the detritus will introduce some bumblee bee snails to see if their reputation precedes them. We will observe them and rapport the progress if any.. If needed also will add an medium sized valentini puffer into the mix.

If all in vain I see no other option but chashing them by nuking the tank. If by next summer Im not happy free will venture into that as my last option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vermetid.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	23728   Click image for larger version

Name:	vermetid 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	23729  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:05 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

After you post the picture I see what you mean, I was referring to the bigger ones which are forming slime nets irritating the corals but the ones in the picture are different.

What is the exact reason for you to get rid of them ?

G.Alexander
Old 12-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Silent Silent 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Do these cast out stringy nets or do they protrude 2 tentacles like this?

https://www.melevsreef.com/critter/spionid-worm

If so it is a spionid worm and is reef safe. Not as bad of a pest as vermetid but still ugly tubes.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:27 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

>spionid worm and is reef safe

i know thers guys,,, have those as well,, these are harmless creatures,, fun to watch how they exploriring surroundings with their antennas..

> I was referring to the bigger ones which are forming slime nets irritating the corals but the ones in the picture are different.What is the exact reason for you to get rid of them ?

same thing, they are forming their nets/threads and are fishing for flying particles with them.. they are miniature version of big ones. irrittating corals with their webs and bothering encrusting corals..