zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Thoughts on how to change over to zeovit ?
Last Post: abhishek@1985
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 16
0 Zeo-Einsteiger hat Fragen
Last Post: "Alex"
Replies: 68
Views: 41,693
0 About to start running the ZEOvit system
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 7
Views: 252
0 The Island Reef
Replies: 192
Views: 45,788
0 AEFW Acro Strudelwrmer bek鄝pfen
Replies: 23
Views: 3,977
0 Resistant Fish Concentrate
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 129
0 Dinoflagellates
Last Post: ohashimz
Posted On: 11-17-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 501
0 KH increase
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 2
Views: 103
0 Corals not growing and proper way to raise nutrient levels
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 11
Views: 215
0 Returning to reefing...
Last Post: Nuuze
Replies: 5
Views: 482
More...
Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 PM
theschubinator theschubinator 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Does Zeovit raise PH?

I just started using the Zeovit system a week ago and noticed a strange change in my water parameters.

Prior to running the Zeo system, I was using an Algae Scrubber running 12 hours a day, as well as dosing Kalk in my ATO as my only source of Ca/dkh.
I was also running a 40watt UV Sterilizer.

During this setup my water parameters have been between 8.1-8.3 consistently.

Fast forward to the past week. Since starting the Zeo system, removing my Algae Scrubber, uv sterilizer, and stopping dosing Kalk....I also have not been dosing 2part either. My dkh is around 10..so I'm just not dosing anything until it gets lower around 7 for my targeted range.

Beyond these changes, I've also been able to open up a small 2 x 2 foot window in my basement since its cooler out. Anyways, over the past week my PH has been between 8.3 at night to as high as 8.57 during the day!

Seems crazy to think that just a little fresh air would make so much difference that it would be THIS much higher even without the additive of kalk?!?!

I also re-calibrated my PH probe thinking something got off wake there, but still really high PH. Beyond these changes, nothing else has changed.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:28 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

None of components does increase the PH so I think it was the fresh air coming from the opened window.

G.Alexander
Old 10-03-2019, 11:52 PM
theschubinator theschubinator 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

wow! I would have never guessed fresh air would make THAT big of a difference.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 PM
JMac JMac 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschubinator View Post
wow! I would have never guessed fresh air would make THAT big of a difference.
fresh air will reduce CO2 in the inside air. I put an air line on my skimmer air intake vented to outside & my pH has gone from 8.1 for a high during the day to 8.7 Even with an air stone in my overflow to increase oxygenation it still remains high.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:44 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
fresh air will reduce CO2 in the inside air. I put an air line on my skimmer air intake vented to outside & my pH has gone from 8.1 for a high during the day to 8.7 Even with an air stone in my overflow to increase oxygenation it still remains high.
Hello JMac, it looks good. Ask your question, does the higher Ph value bring more development to the coral? What changes have you personally observed in the coral? Thank you
Old 10-05-2019, 09:03 AM
JMac JMac 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
Hello JMac, it looks good. Ask your question, does the higher Ph value bring more development to the coral? What changes have you personally observed in the coral? Thank you
Hi Jacky
I have not yet observed any dramatic changes in coral but it has only been a couple weeks since I installed the fresh air line. Low pH indicates higher CO2 which makes the water more acidic. Higher pH indicates a good gas exchange at the water surface. The acceptable range is not a problem for a lot of people but I had problems getting pH levels of 8.0 even. Adding the outside fresh air line to my skimmer intake solved that for me.

here is a link to help explain it all.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/saltwa...ontrol-2924058

Here is another more detailed explanation
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/
Old 10-05-2019, 11:15 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Hi Jacky
I have not yet observed any dramatic changes in coral but it has only been a couple weeks since I installed the fresh air line. Low pH indicates higher CO2 which makes the water more acidic. Higher pH indicates a good gas exchange at the water surface. The acceptable range is not a problem for a lot of people but I had problems getting pH levels of 8.0 even. Adding the outside fresh air line to my skimmer intake solved that for me.

here is a link to help explain it all.
https://www.thesprucepets.com/saltwa...ontrol-2924058

Here is another more detailed explanation
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/
Thank you very much, can find some information for you when you are busy, great information for me to read, thank you. I am wondering why your Ph value is always unable to reach Ph8.0. Is it really because there is no relationship with fresh air? Maybe your tank animal load is high? Or is it because of salinity? Under normal circumstances, should ph not be at least 8.0?

Tags
ph levels