zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 GIVEAWAY: Kamoer FX-STP WiFi Dosing Pump
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 222
0 bryopsis problem
Last Post: Meir
Replies: 5
Views: 512
0 New Start
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 64
Views: 5,119
0 20% OFF Ecotech Radion G4 LED
Posted On: 02-17-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 51
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Replies: 41
Views: 48,604
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: Hene Reda
Replies: 411
Views: 110,548
0 Newbie - Where To Start
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: 02-15-2020
Replies: 40
Views: 2,362
0 Flatworm Stop & Polyclads
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 02-15-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 104
0 15% OFF Valentines Day Sale + Check out the new PicoReef
Posted On: 02-14-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 68
0 Phosphate and nitrogen
Last Post: ViRusDuck
Posted On: 02-14-2020
Replies: 7
Views: 489
More...
Old 12-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Lostatsea Lostatsea 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Substrate or bare bottom

Hello, thank you in advance for your assistance. I am currently setting up a new aquarium I would like to run using the Zeovit system. I have read all the instructions and know it says to use a 2 inch deep sand bed however I would like to check that this is not out of date thinking as most places on the web are now saying bare bottom is much better for sps in the long run (brs etc). I can get the kz coral sand which is 3 to 5mm but am worried about it getting blown around or the detritus getting trapped. Thank you for the help in this matter, I am new to this system and all advice is really welcome. Lastly, which reactor do you think would be best, the Korallen Zucht easy lift magnetic (seems very expensive!) or the vertex RX-Z 1.5.
Many thanks
Old 12-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Lostatsea Lostatsea 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I am still confused and no replies to help!! Everyone seems to be going bare bottom but is this okay for a ZEOVIT tank?? Can I just use siporax in the sump to take the place of the sand? Any feedback would be appreciated as I am waiting to set up the tank. Thanks
Old 12-27-2019, 01:32 PM
ycnibrc ycnibrc 目前離線
Socal reef TOTM 11/2019

I run a 1 sand bed and its fine. Its really up to your taste sand vs bare bottom but with sand you have mote surface area for bacteria to populate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/xqf77k14osA
Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Yousef Yousef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

amazing tank i saw your live with reef dudes. nice information also i check your channel soo nice i hope you give us a video about what did you exactly does and how many bar you keep your light for your coral

Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Yousef Yousef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
I run a 1 sand bed and its fine. Its really up to your taste sand vs bare bottom but with sand you have mote surface area for bacteria to populate

amazing tank i saw your live with reef dudes. nice information also i check your channel soo nice i hope you give us a video about what did you exactly does and how many bar you keep your light for your coral
Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 PM
ycnibrc ycnibrc 目前離線
Socal reef TOTM 11/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post

Thanks i have a build thread in zeovit member tank please go there. I dont want to talk about my tank in this thread :-)

https://youtu.be/xqf77k14osA
Old 12-27-2019, 11:51 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

From my experience a shallow sand bed does stabilize the biology massive, this is the reason why I would personally not run a bare bottom system but basically it can be done. The grain size should not be to small, a depth of 2 – 3 cm is working well.

G.Alexander
Old 12-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Huntindawg Huntindawg 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I am running two tanks on Zeovit with bare bottom. I have had no issues and would never go back. I can now have crazy flow without churning up sand and easy to keep clean. Bioblocks in the dumps though.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Lostatsea Lostatsea 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi thanks for the replies. Could I ask what bioblocks you are using. I was hoping to put an mp40 near the bottom to lift up any debris to the overflow. From what I have read so far it can take a few more months for bare bottom tanks to stabilise, however in the long run they are easier to maintain? Anyone swapped to/from bare bottom who can share there experience? I generally think I prefer the look of sand but in my last tank it was always being moved around and I had difficulty keeping it clean.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Mario_B Mario_B 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

hello there, I'm in the midst of the transition.. on my regulair water changes syphoned the sand away.. its been like tree weeks since last of it is out.

dont see no ill effect so far. Some algae on overflow and back glass but rockscape is ok for now, ,, no red slime either.. Next to sand removal I upgraded lighting as well so I cant really increased algal growth attribute to removal of sand alone..

In anycase I removed sand patiently, slowly.. bit by bit at water changes. It took me almost 2 months to get rid of it. All this time Im adding bacteria and carbon food for them. So far so good. It seems to work well for me.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Huntindawg Huntindawg 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I don’t recall the name- maybe Brightwel? They are not the white ones that are suspect to leeching aluminum. I used to run sand bottom and prefer the look but did not like the sand blowing around or dealing with keeping the sand bed clean. When I decided to go without sand I did a full restart in zeovit.