zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 377
Views: 78,948
0 Austria Zeovit Reef 2.0
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 123
Views: 30,679
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 22
Views: 21,894
0 AEFW Acro Strudelwrmer bek鄝pfen
Last Post: "Alex"
Replies: 19
Views: 412
0 New Guy Here.
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 18
Views: 521
0 Transferring corals to ULNS
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 6
Views: 136
0 Monthly Operating Costs?
Replies: 12
Views: 215
0 GIVEAWAY: Bubble Magus Z Series Protein Skimmer
Posted On: 10-16-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 83
0 GIVEAWAY: Target Feeding Corals with Two Little Fishies Julian's Thing
Replies: 2
Views: 173
0 New exclusiv importer for US - Bulk Reef Supply Inc
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 1
Views: 134
More...
Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default New to Zeovit - help with getting started.

Be gentle... Zeo-virgin here :p

I've a Red Sea Reefer 350 with Ecotech lights, return pump and wavemakers. I'm currently dosing Red Sea ALK & CALC buffer (i've never needed to dose MAG) and perform 10% weekly water changes. I've mature live rock & sand in the display tank and Maxspect Nano Tech Bio ball media in the sump. I'm also currently dosing Quantum PO4 remover. My setup has been running 18 months now and i've both LPS & SPS. I'd like to give the Zeovit system a try in the hope it lowers my nutrient levels (no3 10ppm / po4 0.05ppm) and also improves my coral growth & colouration.

I've ordered a Zeovit reactor and a Zeovite starter kit. Other than a pump for the reactor, do i need anything else to get started? Also, what size reactor pump would you suggest given the size of my tank (approx 300L after rock & equipment displacement). How much vit stones, zeo bak, etc should i start with? Any other tips on getting started would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello preecy, welcome

You can fill in the information first, so you will know more.

1. Total water volume of the entire system (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters
2. Water purification (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technology?
You are using the PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
Are you using ozone?
Are you using ultraviolet light?
7. What skimmers do you use (model, rated water)
8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 level?
9. What is your actual Ca, Alk and Mg content?
10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
11. Type of lamp (watt, color temperature, how big, etc.)
What coral do you keep?
13. Organize the color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been running?
15. Why use the ZEOvit system?
16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any existing issues
19. Description of the problem (organizational loss tips, tissue loss basis, algae, algae, etc.)
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Current dose, quantity and interval (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.)
23. Which salt brand do you use?

The system converts the number of ZeoVit materials/use mechanism, the use of Zeo's base 4 balance, the additional sorbent to slowly remove the balance with the Zeo base, and so on. Waiting for G.Alexander to give us professional advice. I don't have much research on the reactor, 300L maybe the minimum size of Zeo should be fine.

Zeo Foundation 4 Balance -
Zeo Bac
Zeo Start3
Zeo Sponge Power
ZeoVit material
And the activated carbon of the Zeo brand

Get these basic products first, there will be practical use
Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Jacky

Info as follows:

1. Total water volume of the entire system (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters
- 345L (display tank = 275L, sump tank = 70L). I would estimate actual water volume is around 300-320L after rock and equipment displacement)

2. Water purification (including oil sump, etc.) - US gallons / imperial gallons / liters
- sorry dont follow?

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technology?
You are using the PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
Are you using ozone?
Are you using ultraviolet light?
- Not using CO2, Ozone or UV. I have used a PO4 reactor in the past but not in the last 6 months.

7. What skimmers do you use (model, rated water)
- Deltec SC 1456 (rated up to 1000L)

8. What is your actual PO4 and NO3 level?
- PO4 = 0.05ppm | NO3 = 20ppm

9. What is your actual Ca, Alk and Mg content?
- CALC=450ppm | ALK = 8dhk | MAG=14500pm (i realise my calc & mag it too high, trying to reduce this slowly)

10. What filtering method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)
- Skimming, live rock & sand, Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Spheres, Clarisea Roller Filter. I had a cheato refugium but removed this 3 months ago.

11. Type of lamp (watt, color temperature, how big, etc.)
What coral do you keep?
- Pair of Ecotech Radion XR30 (Gen2). Blues @ 100%, White @ 20%, Red & Green @ 0%. Overall intensity @ 50%. Schedule 8am - 8pm with a 3 hour ramp up and a 3 hour ramp down.
I've a mixed reef tank, soft, LPS and SPS, such as: zoas, gps, hammers, acans, pocillopora, montipora, stag, etc

13. Organize the color (light or dark)
- I dont understand this question

14. How long has the tank been running?
- 18 months

15. Why use the ZEOvit system?
- Looking to improve coral growth & colouration and also reduce nutrient levels. I have heard great reviews and feedback on the Zeovit system.

16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.)
- Dosing Quantum Phosphate Remover - 4ml per day. Also dosing 8ml Red Sea KH Buffer and 1ml of Red Sea Calc buffer per day

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
- 30KG of live rock and 1KG Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Spheres. Display tank has a shallow crushed coral sand bed (2-3cm depth). Age = 18 months.

18. Any existing issues
- Currently struggling with a little cyano on sand bed. Also my CALC and MAG levels are little too high.

19. Description of the problem (organizational loss tips, tissue loss basis, algae, algae, etc.)
- Cyano algae.

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
- Red Sea and Salifert test kits

21. Current dose, quantity and interval (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)
- Not using any Zeo product yet

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temperature, etc.)
- Temp = 78.8蚌/ 26蚓
- SG= 1.025

23. Which salt brand do you use?
- Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:03 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello preecy, thank you, the basic information of tank is very detailed, let us wait for G. Provide a quite professional system conversion message, and you use Ro/di water? Do you want to check Tds=0 first (just want to make sure the source water is good first)
Old 07-13-2019, 10:57 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Preecy, thank you for the additional information. First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 0.8 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 300 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.3 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 3 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 3 drops. Dose 0.3 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

When you start with the system reduce the addition of your daily dosage of the PO4 remover to 75%, than reduce the addition over the next 6 – 8 weeks slowly step by step to zero. While doing this keep a close eye on the PO4 level, it should not increase. You might also be able later to remove the ceramic filtration material later if necessary. If you do this needs also to be done very slow step by step over a couple of weeks to prevent quick biological changes.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 07-14-2019, 12:09 PM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Many thanks Jacky and G.Alexander.
I can confirm i have an RODI unit and use 0tds water.
I am hoping to switch over to the Zeovit system at the end of this month.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

My Zeovit reactor and Zeovit starter kit finally arrived this week. This morning I added the activated carbon to my sump and hooked up the reactor to a digital timer (programmed on a 3hr on/off schedule). The reactor pump is set to 300lph and I have added 800ml of Zeovit rocks/media to the reactor. I have also dosed 3 drops of ZeoBac and the first 0.3ml dosage of ZeoStart. I will repeat these steps, daily, for the next two weeks.

Over the last three weeks I have slowly reduced my Quantum PO4 Remover down to 25% in preparation. I will continue reducing this to 0% over the next few weeks.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

- At what point should I start dosing the Zeofood Plus?
- Do any of the Zeo bottles require storing in a refrigerator?
- Can any of the Zeo bottles be stored in dosing containers? I would like to automate the dosing process using my dosing unit if possible.
- Do the Zeo bottles have a life-span (ie: do they expire are can i keep using them until empty)?
- I am still struggling to bring my magnesium levels down (currently 1500ppm). Will this have any effect to the Zeovit system or my corals?
- Finally, approximately 150-200ml of the Zeovit media/rocks is exposed to air when the pump turns off. This is because my sump is fairly shallow and the water in the reactor drops to the water level of my sump as the pump switches off. Is this ok or any suggestions on how to correct this?

Many thanks for your advice so far.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, I will reply you about what I probably know.

- Basically Zeofood Plus does not currently need
( Enhances cleaning effects of bacteria and promotes biology. A good and important bio film is created within short time. Improves polyp extension of soft corals significant.)

- ZeoBac and BioMate and Coral Vitalizer
It is recommended to store the product in the temperature range of + 4 C to + 20 C, ie + 39.2 F to + 68 F.

- Sorry, I am currently completely manual, and I don’t know much. Maybe Zeo Bac and some Zeo products should not be diluted

- Basically well preserved, pay attention to some details, such as: the dropper touches the sea water, avoiding cross-use with the syringe, usually not a problem. I forgot where I read it, usually for 1 year.The products I use today are usually not used for one year, so you can rest assured. If the product is not unpacked it should last longer. But if you can, the more "fresh" the better

- Mg=1500, don't worry, stop the mg dosing by changing the water to refresh the balance every week. In addition, do you add extra magnesium? If “no”, then it is recommended that you check again if the Mg level is correct and if the salinity is normal.

- Maybe we can raise the water level of the sump maybe better

17. The display tank has a shallow coral sand bed (2-3 cm deep). Age = 18 months

18. Any existing issues
- I am currently struggling with a little Cyano problem on the sand bed.

Before converting the system, we can do more vacuuming (sand bed) and do additional vacuuming on the affected area. This has positive help for things.

Last edited by jacky; 08-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 PM
ZEOadmin

Quote:
- Do the Zeo bottles have a life-span (ie: do they expire are can i keep using them until empty)?
Every bottle has a minimum shelf life date sticker on it, usually the products can be used longer.

Quote:
- I am still struggling to bring my magnesium levels down (currently 1500ppm). Will this have any effect to the Zeovit system or my corals?
Would also recommend to check wiht a different accurate test kit to make sure your test is working well.

Quote:
- Can any of the Zeo bottles be stored in dosing containers? I would like to automate the dosing process using my dosing unit if possible.
Most oft eh products can be dosed automatically storing them in containers excpet the products which should be stored in the fridge and the bottles which should be shaken before use.

G.Alexander
Old 08-21-2019, 03:07 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I have been running Zeovit for two weeks now. I have a few more questions if i may:

- Once i get to the 4 week mark, do i replace 100% of Zeolite stones or do i only replace 50% of the stones?

- Do i leave the Zeovit reactor pump on a 3hr on & 3hr off schedule permanently or does this need to change after 4 weeks?

- Should i be running my skimmer wet now or after the first 4 weeks?

- A few months ago I had a small outbreak of Cyano (possibly dinoflaglets). I managed to clear this up by blacking out my tank for 3 days prior to converting to Zeovit. It is starting to return. I am seeing green algae on the sand bed. It's not too bad at the moment. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

1. Keep the old 50% ZeoVit material (should be like this)

2. Leave the zeolite in the filter for 4 weeks until you replace it for the first time, this is the first replacement interval. After about 2 weeks, if the coral is healthy, switch the reactor to continuous flow and Zeo Bac x10 days.

3. Yes. According to Korallenzucht's initial 14-day cycle, inside the 6th point, start the ZEOvit filter and separator

Look at it, as the water quality is better, it should gradually improve

Get potassium test kit, K+~380 mg

If it is a Dino problem, let us wait and see, it is difficult to say what the future looks like.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:55 AM
ZEOadmin

If the first 4 weeks have passed replace 90% of the material as the tank was not a fresh cycled system. If the system would be fresh, Jackies recommendation to change 50% for the first time is what I would recommend also. Next exchange will be in 6 weeks, again 90%. After each ZeoVit exchange dose ZeoBac daily for 10 days.

About 2 weeks after the first exchange you can switch your reactor to continuous flow if corals are doing fine. Make sure to use the correct reactor flow.

You can switch your skimmer to skim wet if you like to now, just keep a eye on the K+ level of your system, should be ~ 380 mg.

Because of the film on the sand I would recommend to vacuum the sand regular while each water change to remove the sediments from the deeper sand layers.

G.Alexander
Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM
preecy preecy 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Ok thanks again both.

The algae is slowly fading now. My N03 and PO4 levels have reduced to 0 according to my Salifert test kit. I am hoping to get a Red Sea Pro PO4 and NO3 test kit which should be able to give me a more accurate reading in the lower ranges.

Also, some of my SPS corals appear to be sulking. What is the best course of action to correct this?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

It may be better to get a higher precision instrument for PO4. "SPS coral seems to be sulking." Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of this description.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 AM
ZEOadmin

My recommendation would also be a photometer for PO4 instead, they are not to expensive anymore.

G.Alexander