zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 New Guy Here.
Last Post: Mzurlo
Posted On: Today
Replies: 16
Views: 375
0 AEFW Acro Strudelwrmer bekmpfen
Last Post: Slap
Replies: 16
Views: 218
0 Transferring corals to ULNS
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 6
Views: 83
0 Monthly Operating Costs?
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 12
Views: 140
0 GIVEAWAY: Bubble Magus Z Series Protein Skimmer
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 10-16-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 34
0 GIVEAWAY: Target Feeding Corals with Two Little Fishies Julian's Thing
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 2
Views: 107
0 New exclusiv importer for US - Bulk Reef Supply Inc
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 1
Views: 104
0 Converting to Zeovit, did some mistakes...
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 32
Views: 868
4 Featured Tank . Pawel Szember (paszembe) - Poland
Last Post: berlin-riff
Replies: 7
Views: 653
0 Setup new tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 1
Views: 70
More...

Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 PM
intheflesh intheflesh ثeu
ZEOhead in Training

Default Red Sea Reefer 350 ... want to switch over to Zeovit

A few years backhad a successful SPS zeo system in a 80 gallon shallow.

I now have a RSR350. Lost everything to a crash a few months back, and have been rebuilding. I have about 10 fish, and only a handful of LPS and few encrusting montis. Colors on corals are pretty good, but I am experiencing hair algae (boo). I am dosing about 5-6mls daily of a vodka/vinegar mixure. My phosphates are currently measuring .04-.08 via Red Sea, and Nitrates undetectable. I have bumped feeding to try to get my nitrates into the 5ppm range, but all thats happening is my phosphates going up

Anyway, since i had good luck in the past with Zeo in my 80 gallon, I want to switch over my Red Sea reefer from vodka dosing to Zeo. I have the "basic 4" and a vertex 1.5L reactor coming in the mail next week.

I'm a little puzzled by the switch over process though. I assume I should still use the guide "B) Amount to be used in tanks with high nutrient load and in tanks using ZEOvit for the first time (already stocked)" even though I have relatively low nutrients? Also I see that there is a new 2018 guide. I'm finding that a little harder to follow than the old guide.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 350l/92 US gal

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - 315L / 83 US gal ( iused a .9 multiplier, since I don't have a lot of rock or sand)

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - Aquaforest 3 part balling method

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) NO

5. Are you using Ozone - NO

6. Are you using UV - NO

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Vertex Omega 150

Ratings:
Lightly Stocked - 150 Gallons
Medium Stocked - 90 Gallons
Heavily Stocked - 55 Gallons

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4 - .08, NO3 - undetectable

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - calc - 430, alk - 12dkh (need to get this down) Mg - 1300

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - skimmer, carbon dosing (DIY NoPox formula)

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - Radion Gen 4

12. What corals do you keep - acans, montis, chalice, zoas. Plannign to add SPS

13. Tissue color (light or dark) - dark.

14. How long has the tank been running - About 4 monts since a crash.

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - had success in the past, i like how it forced me to be more interactive with the tank

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) iodine 3 drops 1x weekly (Lugos), sponge power 3 drops 2-3 time weekly, 3 part Balling - Aquaforest forumula)
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - ~50 lbs, at least 10 years old. came from my original reef tank sometime around 2006

18. Any present problems - hair algae

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) N/A

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - Calc/Alk - Hanna tester, Phosphate/Nitrate - Red Sea, Mag - redsea

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) - Sponge power - 3 drops 2-3 times weekly (when I remember)

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - salinity 33ppt, temp - 78F, pH - 8.8

23. Which salt brand do you use - Aquaforest reef salt (non probiotic)
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Suitable for system conversion, let us wait for G.Alexander professional advice

a little thought

I use a vodka/vinegar mixture about 5-6 ml per day. (Let's try to convert to Zeo Start3)

You are using the PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) NO
You are using ozone - no
You are using UV - NO
(Great, this can avoid some extra problems)

Alk - 12dkh (need to be lowered),
(as you said, the recommendation is Kh 6.5~7.5)

[ 8. Your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4 - .08
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - dark
18. Any existing issues - Chalcina
16. Any supplemental dose (type, quantity, cause, etc.) 3 drops of iodine once a week (Lugos), 3 drops of sponge powder 2-3 times a week, 3 parts of Balling - Aquaforest forumula)]
( So at this moment, the addition of iodine should be unnecessary.)

Zeo Basic Products 4
Zeo Bac
Zeo Start3
Zeo Sponge Power
ZeoVit & Zeo activated carbon
Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

Sorry to hear about the looses

For the transfer I would recommend to start as follows:

1. Place 0.8 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 85 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.3 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 3 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 3 x weekly dosage of 3 drops each. Dose 0.35 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on. As you already own SpongePower dose 3 drops daily additional.

When starting with ZeoVit reduce your vinegar / vodka addition to 2/3, than reduce the quantity step by step slowly over the next 4 6 weeks to zero. This should prevent a sudden increase of nutrients as the zeovit system needs some time before starting to work effective.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 10 % with a good salt.

Basic water parameters except KH looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 7.5
Ca 400 420 mg
Mg 1250 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 08-05-2019, 05:49 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Sorry to hear about the looses

For the transfer I would recommend to start as follows....
Thank you so much for the recommendations!
So basically, I want to treat this as a normal switch over, and slowly decrease my vodka dosing. once my equipment and additives come in, i will make a journal page.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:00 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Re: Alkalinity

I know with an ULNS the target alkalinity is 6.5-7.5 dKh.

Aquaforest reef salt mixes to 7.4-8.2 dKh. Should I be considering a new salt that will be closer to NSW? Will 5-10% weekly WCs cause the Alk to creep up over time?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:19 AM
ZEOhead in Training

One last question (for now) - Has Zeofood7 replaced Sponge power (or vice-versa)?

The last time I ordered a "Basic 4 kit", I received Start, Bac and Sponge power. Now I am getting Start3, Bac, and Food7.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

I use Zeo's best salt. I don't have experience with Aquaforest Reef Salt, but I think it should be feasible. After all, we only change 5~10% of water instead of a lot. The main thing is to stay close to the recommended parameters and stabilize.

The current version uses Zeo Sponge Power, which has positive side effects. Zeo Food7 can be supplemented in a post-nutrient environment.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:52 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander ثeu
ZEOadmin

KH is the element which is consumed very quick so KH will not accumulate. If the salt mix has a higher level the KH gets “watered down” as you just replace 10% so the real increase of KH is minimal.

ZeoFood and SpongePower are two complete different products but as Jacky already mention SpongePower has a positive side effect to the systems biology so dosing it at the beginning is basically a good idea. ZeoFood can be used later once the system is running nutrient poor stabile to fine-tune coral coloration.

G.Alexander
Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you for the clarification!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 AM
ZEOhead in Training

First order of business is to re-organize my electronics cabinet. I made one a few months back, but was never happy with the way it came out. I modeled a simplified version of it that should be easier to construct and to access. I freed up a lot of space inside the cabinet (as long as my scaling is correct), which allows me to free up more space on the front facade. In this open space, I may use an old Ipad as a monitor for the apex, or might cut cut access holes for the EB8 power bars.

Existing:

New design:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics cabinet(1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	22335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics cabinet(2).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	22336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	22337  
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

Hello intheflesh, great sharing. It is recommended to use the ZeoVit reactor, which is better for things.

About the benefits of ZeoVit materials

Zeovit is a system that combines bacterial sources to help get rid of excess nutrients in the system. Some have identified this as one of the first well-known ultra-low nutrition systems or ULNS. Our idea is to simulate natural seawater (NSW) parameters by reducing the levels of nitrate and phosphate without reducing other necessary parameters such as calcium and magnesium.

The best way I understand this is in two steps; 1) The system removes excess nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates from bacterial sources and slag. 2) Once ULNS is reached, you can adjust the coral color with other Zeovit additives.

The "mulm" released from ZEOvit contains bacteria that are used as food by corals. This is very important because it provides nutrition to the animals and has a very positive impact on coral color, polyp extension and vitality. Large polyethylene coral (LPS) and fully expanded tissue response
Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 AM
ZEOhead in Training

I do have a zeo-reactor - Vertex 1.5L (or this is what it was sold as. I'm pretty sure its the 2L model)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 PM
jacky jacky ثeu
ZEOhead

You did very well. Excuse me, those control devices as for the Sump, will there be moisture / humidity /
corrosion,problems?

I like your way of finishing, very clear.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:43 PM
ZEOhead in Training

No issues with humidity or moisture - they are in a completely separate compartment away from the sump.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Zeo reactor is up and running. Slight problem though, I bought it on eBay advertised as a 1.5L model.... its actually a 3.0L model! it BARELY fits in my sump. On day 4 right now. My parameters from last weekend are Nitrate 0ppm and Phosphate 0.08ppm (red sea tests). I'm curious to see what they are after 1 week.

I have it on a 3 hour on/off cycle. 0.8L of media, with about 80-90gph running through the reactor. Because this is a larger model with a bigger pump, I have to throttle back the pump significantly. Reactor flow was calculated by filling a 1L container ~ 12seconds = 86.45 gph. I measured out .8L of media, but only added the large stones to the reactor. The smaller gravel sized I have in a separate media bag that I knead daily along with the carbon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	22339