zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Moving to Zeovit - Recommendations please
Last Post: Huntindawg
Posted On: Today
Replies: 21
Views: 984
0 Austria Zeovit Reef 2.0
Last Post: Peter.
Replies: 88
Views: 9,589
0 360g stag horn dominate reef tank
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 8
Views: 1,383
0 New System
Last Post: danno45
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 70
Views: 4,466
0 80gallon Tank Build with Luke
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 05-20-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 99
0 CV and Pohl's Xtra
Replies: 6
Views: 156
0 Hi Nitrate Help Please
Replies: 13
Views: 403
0 Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500
Last Post: RorsC
Replies: 9
Views: 214
0 new 75 gallon tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 05-19-2019
Replies: 56
Views: 8,094
0 Considering a move to zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: 05-19-2019
Replies: 118
Views: 5,868
More...
Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 PM
ndepratt ndepratt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Zeovit on larger system

Hey everyone! I've been reading through the zeovit guides and looking at equipment options... so i have some questions on setting up a tank on a larger system. I've been debating between Aquaforest and Zeovit... and have decided I want to go with the more proven system. The zeo tanks are amazing.

Right now I have a 240g lagoon (96x48x12) and a 90g frag tank with a 130g shared sump. I have a 600g tank (120x30x36) that I will be plumbing into the system for a total of about 1000 gallons when everything is completed.

My biggest questions would be around the equipment I need for the zeovit method. From the guide I will need about 10 liters of zeolites, so I assume I'll be needing to get multiple reactors, is that correct? I haven't selected a skimmer yet so I'm open to suggestions for good options.

Basically if you guys had to do everything from scratch what equipment would you select for an awesome SPS display and good coral propogation systems? Are there any systems that are of a comparable size that have a detailed breakdown of their equipment and methods? This is a huge step up from my more basic and smaller tanks!

Everything is a mess/project at the moment, but attached is a picture of what i'm talking about. Sorry for the low quality pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a7a429b0-f597-4e0d-878a-c6e542daa0ca.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22083  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello ndepratt, welcome you soon

This is my idea, listen to the advice of G.Alexander and others.

If Tank and tank are connected to each other to share all the water, then a suitable ZeoVit reactor should be no problem.

ATI Hybrid Powermodule
10% premium live rock
Size system Choose your favorite, with lamps, Sump space with skimmer and reactor, and your favorite design
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

It would be good if you can share some more details about the system:

https://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Especially the total net water volume is important to do a calculation of the products.

A good skimmer, enough water movement, a ZeoVit reactor and a adequate lighting system with a well balanced lighting spectrum are the core components. Additional you need to supplement Ca / KH with a CaCO2 reactor or any kind of a dosing system. Live rock and a shallow sand bed are also recommended to have a strong systems biology. Optional some kind of mechanical filtration can be done with filter socks which are cleaned regular.

Stability of the biology and the basic water parameters is really important additional.

G.Alexander
Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 AM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Welcome Ndepratt!

Let's just begin by saying that you're building the dream

You can absolutely get and use multiple zeovit reactors, 3x 4L reactors should be ample and give you a reasonable way of shaking them.
I'm assuming you'd like to make it as easy as possible to shake the media, so I'd recommend either using something fully automated, like the Avast marine "vibe" or PRS Automated Zeovit reactor (the latter is only 3 liter). An alternative is to go "tried and tested" with something like the KZ magnetic (which still requires pumping, but makes it easier) or something similar.

Skimmer wise, I'd go with either one large skimmer or two smaller. If I had the choice of "anything" I'd probably go with an external Bubbleking rated for at least 4000L, but probably the step up. Another option is the KZ skimmers, but they're "pretty" tall, so that would be my second choice just out of preference.
Royal exclusiv skimmers are probably the only one I'd trust in going with "actual volume listed", the rest I'd select one rated for 30% more volume. This is just based on peoples reviews, and nothing scientific.

Lighting for such a large system is both easy and difficult :P I'm a true believer in combining T5 with either LED or MH depending on the tank.
LED will be the most expensive, but some of the tanks I've seen lately using the Ecotech Radion G4 + T5 setup has been insanely nice. I'd definitely consider that for the shallow lagoon.
The frag tank I'd light with T5 only, perhaps supplemented by Orphek OR2 Blue Plus LED bars.
The large tank I'd most likely go with 4x400w MH, supplemented by a couple of ecotech radions G4 pro and a "few" T5.
Lastly I'd borrow or invest in a PAR meter for the initial setup.

Flow I'd go a mixture of Gyre (any brand), Tunze & Vortechs For as random flow as possible. I'd crank up the flow as high as possible.
I'd also add a lot of streamers in the sump to keep detritus from settling there, and add an automatic filter roller, such as the Rollermat or something like it, to avoid having to clean filtersocks that often.

I'm definitely excited in following this and seeing what you come up with! And definitely post more photos

Most "large" builds I can remember following from "intro" to "success" are of slightly smaller (about 1000-2000L) while the largest tanks just kind of usually "appear" I hope we get to follow this from start to success as well
Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 AM
JMac JMac 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

+1 on the Bubble King, they are phenomenal build quality & do what they are supposed to do very well. Also unbelievably quiet. I purchased one recently & I am very impressed all around with it.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:25 PM
ndepratt ndepratt 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for your response blackizzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackizzz View Post
Welcome Ndepratt!
Let's just begin by saying that you're building the dream
You can absolutely get and use multiple zeovit reactors, 3x 4L reactors should be ample and give you a reasonable way of shaking them.
Awesome, I was wondering if there would be any issues with dividing everything up. Im surprised on the recommendation that carbon should be placed in a mesh bag instead of a reactor. With the large volume of water would there be any drawback to running a carbon reactor instead of 4 large bags of carbon in my sump?

Quote:
I'm assuming you'd like to make it as easy as possible to shake the media, so I'd recommend either using something fully automated, like the Avast marine "vibe" or PRS Automated Zeovit reactor (the latter is only 3 liter). An alternative is to go "tried and tested" with something like the KZ magnetic (which still requires pumping, but makes it easier) or something similar.
The Avast reactors looked pretty good are they very reliable longterm? Im assuming because of the mulm I wouldnt be able to run them in series? Ill have to figure out a good way to run multiple reactors in way that looks good.

Quote:
Skimmer wise, I'd go with either one large skimmer or two smaller. If I had the choice of "anything" I'd probably go with an external Bubbleking rated for at least 4000L, but probably the step up. Another option is the KZ skimmers, but they're "pretty" tall, so that would be my second choice just out of preference.
Royal exclusiv skimmers are probably the only one I'd trust in going with "actual volume listed", the rest I'd select one rated for 30% more volume. This is just based on peoples reviews, and nothing scientific.
Im thinking about going with the Skimz external skimmers. I would probably use one SM252 and then add a second one further down the road.

Quote:
Lighting for such a large system is both easy and difficult :P I'm a true believer in combining T5 with either LED or MH depending on the tank.
LED will be the most expensive, but some of the tanks I've seen lately using the Ecotech Radion G4 + T5 setup has been insanely nice. I'd definitely consider that for the shallow lagoon.

The frag tank I'd light with T5 only, perhaps supplemented by Orphek OR2 Blue Plus LED bars.
The large tank I'd most likely go with 4x400w MH, supplemented by a couple of ecotech radions G4 pro and a "few" T5.
Lastly I'd borrow or invest in a PAR meter for the initial setup.
I really like your lighting recommendations! The ATI powermodule is crazy expensive I was really leaning toward the ATI sunpower 8x54 fixtures. The depth is really an issue though Ive never felt comfortable with T5 on deeper tanks but Ive seen some deeper T5 tanks that are amazing.
400w MH were my initial thought I have several 250w ballasts Ive been buying from people locally so Im sure I can find some 400w ballasts that match. Radiums would be perfect. Im oldschool so its nice to have people who dont scoff when I mention how great metal halides can be.
Radions are just too pricey for this big of a tank. Lol Im poor.
On the frag tank Im pretty torn on what I want to do either Sunblaze T5s or a retrofit T5 setup with a floating canopy type of thing. Ideally used ATI fixtures but I havent seen a good availability

Quote:
Flow I'd go a mixture of Gyre (any brand), Tunze & Vortechs For as random flow as possible. I'd crank up the flow as high as possible.
I'd also add a lot of streamers in the sump to keep detritus from settling there, and add an automatic filter roller, such as the Rollermat or something like it, to avoid having to clean filtersocks that often.
I was considering just going with a couple MP60s one on each side. I can add more down the road.
Otherwise the Tunze 6255 look good but Ive never used them so Im certainly leaning toward vortechs. The 1 thick acrylic of the 600 makes it tough I didnt see any gyres that are rated for that thickness?

Quote:
I'm definitely excited in following this and seeing what you come up with! And definitely post more photos
Most "large" builds I can remember following from "intro" to "success" are of slightly smaller (about 1000-2000L) while the largest tanks just kind of usually "appear" I hope we get to follow this from start to success as well
I really hesitate doing a build thread just because the project would be moving very slowly so it certainly wouldnt be very exciting. Im getting married in August so this is a project that wouldnt be finished for quite some time.
A little background on the system: We live in a small town where theres really no available source of good coral and fish (the only local store uses dechlorinated tapwater and canister filters) so we decided to setup our own fish store in our two car garage. We get maybe a few people who come by on a Saturday (our only day open) so its definitely more of a hobby business for us. Weve got a medicated fish system thats about 380g total and another 120g invert wall.
Im looking to get into coral propagation hence the 8x4 frag tank :P My fish room is going to be intense when its all done. haha
The 600g used to be the display tank for a pet store that closed down. It was about the grossest place ever and got evicted I actually got the tank for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	22094   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	22095   Click image for larger version

Name:	36860430_1663647043933776_4288393904388046848_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	22096   Click image for larger version

Name:	C171008D-7D54-4A1F-9038-BCF44A9AD956_grande.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	22097  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 AM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndepratt View Post
Thanks for your response blackizzz!
No problem, glad some of it was helpful!

Quote:
Awesome, I was wondering if there would be any issues with dividing everything up. Im surprised on the recommendation that carbon should be placed in a mesh bag instead of a reactor. With the large volume of water would there be any drawback to running a carbon reactor instead of 4 large bags of carbon in my sump?
If you decide to use a reactor, you can use half the recommended amount of carbon, as it's just so much more effective in a reactor. You don't want to strip the water completely of all its "goodies"

Shouldn't be a problem in using multiple zeo-reactors, but there are a few "huge alternatives" as well, that could let you use one or maximum 2 reactors. It will be though to pump everyday though The Grotech ZF200 should be able to house all the zeo media in one reactor. It's not automatic though.
The fully automated versions are often super expensive, but an alternative there is the KZ Automatic zeovit filter.

Quote:
The Avast reactors looked pretty good are they very reliable longterm? Im assuming because of the mulm I wouldnt be able to run them in series? Ill have to figure out a good way to run multiple reactors in way that looks good.
I haven't used the Avast reactor myself, and I've read mixed reviews to be honest. Most people that have "negative comments" are claiming that the filter is either not shaking enough to fully release the mulm but are rather just "grinding" the media together. That or they're saying that the filter is kind of loud.

I know PRS does a good automatic reactor, but it's only 3 liters, so you'd need at least 3, and they're very expensive

Quote:
Im thinking about going with the Skimz external skimmers. I would probably use one SM252 and then add a second one further down the road.
I haven't used Skimz, but heard good things! I also heard they released an automatic 3.5L zeo-reactor as well, you might want to look in to that!

Quote:
I really like your lighting recommendations! The ATI powermodule is crazy expensive I was really leaning toward the ATI sunpower 8x54 fixtures. The depth is really an issue though Ive never felt comfortable with T5 on deeper tanks but Ive seen some deeper T5 tanks that are amazing.
400w MH were my initial thought I have several 250w ballasts Ive been buying from people locally so Im sure I can find some 400w ballasts that match. Radiums would be perfect. Im oldschool so its nice to have people who dont scoff when I mention how great metal halides can be.
Radions are just too pricey for this big of a tank. Lol Im poor.
On the frag tank Im pretty torn on what I want to do either Sunblaze T5s or a retrofit T5 setup with a floating canopy type of thing. Ideally used ATI fixtures but I havent seen a good availability
Glad to hear we share some thoughts! 36" of height might be a tough ask for T5 only. The MH/T5 combo is proven, and can definitely produce some great results!
On the frag tank I'd definitely go with T5 only.
On ATI's website you can sometimes get some real steals on "2nds", ie products that work perfectly but can't be sold due to minor damages/scuffs: https://store.atinorthamerica.com/co...econd-products. They're still pretty pricey though.

You could always add LED's as a supplement later on, sometimes radions are sold pretty cheap in good working condition

Quote:
I was considering just going with a couple MP60s one on each side. I can add more down the road.
Otherwise the Tunze 6255 look good but Ive never used them so Im certainly leaning toward vortechs. The 1 thick acrylic of the 600 makes it tough I didnt see any gyres that are rated for that thickness?
Both MP60's and Tunze's are great choices. Tunze are probably the most liked pumps ever, especially for larger tanks.
I see that your overflows are probably less than 1" thick, if you wanted gyres as well you could place them on there. Just put the "dry magnet" in something sealed.

Quote:
I really hesitate doing a build thread just because the project would be moving very slowly so it certainly wouldnt be very exciting. Im getting married in August so this is a project that wouldnt be finished for quite some time.
A little background on the system: We live in a small town where theres really no available source of good coral and fish (the only local store uses dechlorinated tapwater and canister filters) so we decided to setup our own fish store in our two car garage. We get maybe a few people who come by on a Saturday (our only day open) so its definitely more of a hobby business for us. Weve got a medicated fish system thats about 380g total and another 120g invert wall.
Im looking to get into coral propagation hence the 8x4 frag tank :P My fish room is going to be intense when its all done. haha
The 600g used to be the display tank for a pet store that closed down. It was about the grossest place ever and got evicted I actually got the tank for free!
That's a nice deal then!
Look forward to seeing more! You both look really happy with the new tank, and congratulations in advance on getting married!