zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Zeo-Einsteiger hat Fragen
Last Post: Bugger
Posted On: Today
Replies: 59
Views: 5,824
0 New System
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 78
Views: 6,259
0 Zeospur
Last Post: cflow
Replies: 7
Views: 167
0 GIVEAWAY: AlgaeFree Hammerhead Plus Magnet Scraper
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1
Views: 118
0 GIVEAWAY: Reef Octopus classic 90 HOB Protein Skimmer
Views: 167
0 GIVEAWAY: Sicce Syncra SDC Unboxing
Views: 263
0 Question regarding media in reactor
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 2
Views: 137
0 GIVEAWAY: Danner Supreme EZ Clean 55 External Aquarium Filter
Posted On: 08-23-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 84
0 Aquatic Life RO/DI SALE + MJ1200's for less then $20
Posted On: 08-22-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 129
0 Tank w.vreeswijk
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Posted On: 08-22-2019
Replies: 362
Views: 57,621
More...

Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Pohl's Xtra - Better dosage?

Hello guys:

My zeo tank is doing great, my Nitrates went down to 3ppm and my Phosphates are undetectable.
My question now is, should I start dosing pohl's xtra? I am getting some really pale colors on some few corals, 2 acros at the middle of the tank, and some montiporas.

So, my 2 main questions about XTRA are:

1-What would the the better dosing for my tank (or any tank), a small daily dosage of Xtra? or a 2-3 weekly dosis?
2-How to stabilize my dosis of XTRA? Does my colors or paleness depends strictly on how much XTRA do I dose to the tank?

Here is my basic info:
Net water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - 160-180 liters
Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique, No
Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No
Are you using Ozone No
Are you using UV No
What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Rated for 700Lts
What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels Po4 Undetectable, NO3 3ppm
What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels CA=420, Alk=7.5 kH, Mg=1300 K=380
Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) DIY LED light, same spectrum than RADION G4, less PAR.
What corals do you keep ALL SPS
Tissue color (light or dark) very very light on the acros in the middle of the tank, very good strong color on the acros at the TOP of the tank.
How long has the tank been running 3.5 months now
Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)
Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
Any present problems Just light tissue, still some very tiny small algae on the rocks but it's almost nothing now with NO3 at 3ppm
Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) Light tissue
What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna & Salifert
Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) Zeobak and ZeoStart as directed from you guys, CV 3 drops 2 times a week (Mondays and thursdays), and actually dosing K 1ppm to 2 ppm a day.
Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Temp=25.7 Celsius, Density at 1.025 ORP at 470 and pH at 8.2-8.4
Which salt brand do you use Red Sea Blue Bucket
Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, I think, the organization is light, you can try to explore whether the reactor flow and the use of activated carbon are too high.

[ Water purification of the entire system (including oil sump, etc.) - 160-180 liters
The oil skimmer you are using (model, rated water) is rated at 700Lts ]
( Is this a problem? )

Tank 3.5 months, do you use high quality live rock? Still dry rock? Sand? Number of fish?

Can you look like a coral? Main display system coral

I don't know the current appearance of the coral appearance, maybe it is perfect in any aspect, then maybe try Zeo AA, PIF, it may be good, these additives bring health and color to the coral, and the low malnutrition water quality is very good.
(If algae is not a problem, try it)

Xtra routine dose 1ml/100L/25 US gallons, any dose is not certain, depending on the appearance of your favorite corals, Xtra excess. My observation is that corals are slightly darker and may grow algae.

My experience is not enough, this is some ideas
Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Just wanted to be sure, coral which do get less light have lighter tissue than corals which are placed directly under the light ? Plating montipora corals are sensitive to lower K+ levels, might be a good idea to cross check your test result with a different test kit.

Do all corals growing well showing poly expansion ? Is it possible to post some coral pictures ?

G.Alexander
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Some of the corals that are positioned at the middle of the tank (middle height) are really light in tissue, one of them is an Acropora Bonzai, it is growing like before, very normal, but from the time I started with zeovit the tissue became very very light.

The montiporas cap are very light in tissue, all of them at the bottom of the tank...however the monti setosa which is at the same height is showing an amazing orange color and growing like grass!

I have another green acropora that has lost all the green color and it's tissue is a cream and brown color, however, at the other corner of the tank, same height have a red planet which is showing amazing red color and also growing like grass. Both acros are at the top of the tank.

My seriatopora caliendrum shows some small improvement, but still looking very bad.

So I am a little confused, why there are really easy SPS on my tank that are looking bad, and some really hard corals to keep that are looking better than ever.

Will post the pictures of each one so you can see.

Meanwhile..regarding the XTRA...do you believe I can start dosing it? Could that give a little help on the corals that are looking light in color?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

I used DIY LED light sets in the past, maybe the spectrum or spectrum of DIY LEDs are not suitable, and it does happen that corals are very light, in my tank phenomenon.

Just want to confirm that it is not caused by the DIY LED

If most of the poorly displayed corals are surrounded by DIY LEDs, then this is probably the reason. Maybe try to reduce the DIY LED intensity, or temporarily remove it to see if the coral is moving in a healthy direction.

I found it from the warehouse. It is a DIY LED light. It is "advertised" with 420nm, 440-450nm light waves, but it is not suitable for my coral.

*Then I don't know if it is related to DIY LED

In addition, coral tissue becomes loose, is this another problem? All corals, or a single coral? Tissue loosening may need to be clarified
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-10 23.20.09.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	22282   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-10 23.19.43.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	22283  

Last edited by jacky; 06-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

"The organization of the montiporas hat is very light. If you can, reconfirm whether the hourly reactor flow is suitable, do you use the Zeo brand of activated carbon right? Use the method to confirm whether potassium is up to 380 mg

Or move it away from the direct illumination of the LED
Old 06-10-2019, 01:09 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I have some images and videos here, so you can see:

These are the 2 acros I am talking about, this was their original color, actually the bonzai was a little darker since it was receiving very little light:

These are the 2 same acros now, after 3 month of zeovit:

And..here you have 2 videos, the first one was taken 1 month ago, and here you can see the evolution of the colors, my monti caps had more color than today, you can also see the the same Bonzai acro at 0:48 secs of the video, and the seriatopora caliendrum which is at the bottom and backup of the tank:
https://youtu.be/vQXO-OrAqo8

This one was taken this weekend, with the addition of a new green/blue tips acro:
https://youtu.be/JpANulVHPtc

The 2 first acros were on the system since the beginning, but in the case of the bonzai I see it just now loosing color, I am not sure, but may be it's a mix of lot of things, my DIY light is a copy of the Ecotech Radion lamp, with the exact same leds it has, Cree, Osram and Semileds, in the same position, however, I have to agree that I have it running at half of the power of a Radion Lamp.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The most considerable change I've seen (from strong to light color change in the tissue) was from 10ppm of NO3 to 3ppm that I am now.

But again, I couln't assure this was because of zeovit or the no3 itself, could be K, trace elements, heavy skimming, light or zeovit indeed.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Give me the feeling is

Looks like, pale coral and reduced PE
Positive carbon, ZeoVit reactor flow
( Are they both good?)

Confirm again, potassium to 380 mg to ensure good potassium levels
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

K is 380...for sure..tested the new water to be used in a WC and...as the bucket states..400ppm, the result value from the display was 380, the results from the tests seems to be consistent so I believe in Salifert. I am dosing 1-2ppm a day to reach 400ppm.

I moved to the lower limit of recommended flow for zeostones when I replaced them for the first time..that was 2 weeks ago.

Salt is Red Sea blue bucket.
I am not running any carbon at the time...I know it's bad...but..can it be that bad? I believe the carbon will filter more instead of returning elements to the water.
Skimming WET.

Please note..the problem is only with those 4 frags/corals, the rest of the corals in my tank are showing amazing colors (which are not expressed in the pictures/videos).

So, what about XTRA?

Last edited by skull; 06-10-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:32 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

To me it sounds like a low K+ level, aggressive carbon is another possibility.

If you like to try XTra you can dose 2 ml / 100 liters daily for a couple of days. If you do not see a improvement after 5 days cut back to 1 ml / 100 liters 2 x weekly.

Additional you can try more water changes, do three water changes within the next 10 days each 15 – 20% to refresh elements in a balanced way.

G.Alexander
Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Sure, sounds really reasonable

Thank you G.Alexander
Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

On the market salt mixture, potassium to the standard 380 mg really not much, I use the experience of the mixture of red sea salt, when the salinity is 1.025, the potassium will not reach the standard value (I forgot how much, I have a record), now I Using Zeo's salt, with proper potassium and KH values, this is good for me.

By changing the water by 5-10% per week, I really found that Zeo's salt is great. Compared to the two, it keeps me close to the recommended value in the guide. Even if I change the water more frequently, the Tank water quality data is not Will differ too much from the value I keep

Then maybe it may be a test package problem, just hope that you can confirm the potassium value again. If the potassium level is normal, the coral should not look like this (if everything else is perfect)

Positive carbon, or some carbon does cause damage to coral tissue. It is recommended that you replace it with the Zeo brand of activated carbon.

If the coral is changed to be better and healthier after replacing Zeo's activated carbon, adjust the reactor flow level to the recommended level at appropriate intervals.

Use Zeo's products whenever possible, and keep the guidelines as much as possible. Maybe this can avoid some unnecessary problems.

Some algae can also be helped by a toothbrush, or with functional animals, or 2 times a week CoralSnow is also a good choice.

Try it out

Last edited by jacky; 06-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post

On the market salt mixture, potassium to the standard 380 mg really not much, I use the experience of the mixture of red sea salt, when the salinity is 1.025, the potassium will not reach the standard value (I forgot how much, I have a record), now I Using Zeo's salt, with proper potassium and KH values, this is good for me..
Use Zeo's products whenever possible, and keep the guidelines as much as possible. Maybe this can avoid some unnecessary problems.

Try it out

Thanks Jacky, indeed.. I had a problem with potassium until a few weeks ago since it was at 340ppm (tested with Salifert) because of heavy scrubbing and small WCs before moving to zeovit, after that I corrected it with KCl (Potassium Chloride), but the correction is very early to see big changes I believe.
So it is not of my surprise what G.Alexander thinks...but it's a good thing that YOU GUYS (that have more experience in Zeovit) confirm this to me.
I am looking to buy now K-Balance from Korallen-Zucht...(or may be K-Balance Strong) to maintain the potassium level, also will try to get the test from Red Sea which I believe is more accurate than Salifert.

It is now at 380ppm value and pushing this up daily to a target of 400ppm, I will allow some time for the corals to show changes on the colors, to confirm that it was potassium deficiency..before looking somewhere else, but I will start dosing XTRA at the same time, since NO3 are reaching zero.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
.. and keep the guidelines as much as possible. Maybe this can avoid some unnecessary problems.
I will try to..

guidelines--> <--me