zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Salt question
Last Post: scybulski
Posted On: Today
Replies: 30
Views: 344
0 HELP? Nitrate issues
Last Post: Blake10
Replies: 2
Views: 63
0 Is this dino?
Last Post: ohashimz
Views: 56
0 Deep Blue Shallow 30 Cube
Last Post: Spacetime
Replies: 45
Views: 2,196
0 ZeoBac Frozen
Last Post: gguertin145
Replies: 1
Views: 39
0 New ZEOvit tank, Algae issues
Last Post: shredded
Replies: 54
Views: 2,088
0 Pumpen fr den Kz Absch酳mer S
Last Post: sps_muc
Views: 134
0 One year with Zeovit
Last Post: Acamp
Replies: 28
Views: 4,085
0 my new thank....
Last Post: blueyedson
Replies: 126
Views: 7,927
0 Dinoflagellate sharing thread
Last Post: ohashimz
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 17
Views: 218
More...
Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 PM
luckybaker4 luckybaker4 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Mulm

I've been running ZeoVit for about 4 months now. I pump the stones daily, but I've never really seen much "mulm" come off the stones, if any. Is this something I should be seeing or is it expected to not see any?

I'm wondering if I'm not dosing my ZeoBak in a good enough location. I dose it next to the Reactor, but it's a long way from the water surface to the pump, so I doubt much gets in the reactor. Especially since I only dose 2 drops twice a week (40 gallon net volume). Maybe I need to up to 3x a week to see if I see any difference.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM
gguertin145 gguertin145 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

My tank is at 6 weeks and I also dont see a ton of milk not sure if it has to do with aging? My water by the reactor does turn a cloudy white though. My tank is a 180 so same thing with higher numbers if it makes you feel better. I am noticing my tank is much cleaner and far less algae then Ive ever had before though so I would go off that before you worry about how much mulm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybaker4 View Post
I've been running ZeoVit for about 4 months now. I pump the stones daily, but I've never really seen much "mulm" come off the stones, if any. Is this something I should be seeing or is it expected to not see any?

I'm wondering if I'm not dosing my ZeoBak in a good enough location. I dose it next to the Reactor, but it's a long way from the water surface to the pump, so I doubt much gets in the reactor. Especially since I only dose 2 drops twice a week (40 gallon net volume). Maybe I need to up to 3x a week to see if I see any difference.
Do you use some kind of mechanical filtration material especially before the reactor ?

Would also be interesting to know if mulm does accumulate at the bottom of you sump.

G.Alexander
Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Do you use some kind of mechanical filtration material especially before the reactor ?

Would also be interesting to know if mulm does accumulate at the bottom of you sump.

G.Alexander
I used filter socks, but they are before the reactor.

One thing Ive wondered is the flow that is going through the section of the sump I have, which is probably pretty low. The sump I have is the eshopps esx-100:

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Which has a separate refugium section. While I dont have a refuge, I do use this section for my zeovit reactor. Since its a refuge, its designed to have a low amount of flow going through it. I push about 600 gPH through the sump, but Im guessing only 50-100 goes through the figuge section. Given my total volume is about 40 gallons, I would think this is ok, but the lack of mulm had me questioning it.

I do have some brown stuff laying around the fuge, but Im thing thats more likely detritus from a week or two when I havent been running socks.

I dont really have any problems other than some nuisance algae, but my tank is still young and Ill be starting coral snow this week to help out based on other reading. I just have never really seen mulm like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJMq3PlOQM
Old 12-18-2017, 06:00 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Some of the mulm released is coming from particles in the water which where filtered out by the material so if you do not have much particles in the water (already filtered out by the filter socks) you will see less getting released while moving the material which is not a problem.

G.Alexander
Old 12-21-2017, 06:06 AM
FraysReef FraysReef 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

I've been running my tank for 4 months nearly and also thought to myself there is no mulm coming off, trust me there is I put 2 felt socks before the reactor section and within 24hours they were covered in a milky film. I've also added a powerhead into my reactor section as the mulm was coming out and collecting on the bottom of the sump.
Make sure to dial your skimmer in well so it doesn't skim all additives out. =D
Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll just trust the system. I know after 2 days my socks have a very consistent brown tinge to them that's as always intrigued me since it's so consistent on the sock. It covers the entire thing where water makes contact.

Coral snow and coral vitalizer arrives today. Excited!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM
FraysReef FraysReef 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Yeah I've taken out the sponge in my bubble trap as it wasn't really needed and place my carbon bags there, also taken the 4 felt socks out as they clog so quickly (but wow crystal clear water with them) I see more mulm moving around the tank when i pump the reactor now. Where possible have the reactor return directly into the return chamber this helps greatly but isn't required.

---------------
Fraysreef