zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > Equipment Forums > Lighting

Lighting Please use this forum for bulbs/fixtures/techniques etc.

Active Threads
0 Frag Tank
Last Post: gguertin145
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 18
0 NEW Giveaway: AquaPulse Powerheads For Your Reef Tank
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 19
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 135
Views: 10,084
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 23
Views: 527
0 Tunze Door Buster Specials Ends 11/18!
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 4
Views: 77
0 who uses coral booster and FWS?
Last Post: illumnae
Replies: 3
Views: 559
0 15% OFF TLF, Eshopps, Halo LEDS, RO, & Flipper
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 25
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Replies: 3
Views: 933
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Views: 109
0 B-Balance dosage to raise per mg/l
Last Post: 2una
Views: 64
More...

Old 06-17-2016, 05:52 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Guys, this thread is in the lighting forum with the name “Philips Coral Care” but many different things, which do not have anything to do with lighting, are discussed. Please lets continue the discussion about the Philips Coral Care fixture, alternatively I can offer to change the title to a more general title and move the thread to a different forum. Ed please let me know what to do.

G.Alexander
Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 AM
EdCourtney EdCourtney 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hi Alexander,

Please excuse my digression, just illustrating a point.

I do so fairly, I do not discriminate in my criticism, everyone's fair game when they're trying to part me from my hard earned cash.

I think that there is an inevitability to some topics of discussion adopting wider encompassing issues, especially once comparisons between products are made, which is itself almost inevitable.

I would prefer to stick with the original subject however, I'm just waiting for someone a bit more tech savvy than myself to chime in, or indeed someone who has purchased a Coral Care lighting fixture and can provide some feedback.

Thank you for your intervention.

Meanwhile, over on Reef Central, it would appear someone is more concerned with, let's say, the trivial points of design and functionality:

So in order to install the power cables in the roof space, you will need to cut the power cable and connect a new socket in the roof space. (similar to your display at Interzoo)

I dont have a problem doing this, but how will this effect warranty?

The only other alternative is having a large hole in the roof to fit the power socket through.

I may be hard to please, but for some, there simply is no pleasing.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:13 AM
ZEOadmin

Thank you Ed, by the way, off topic

The ingredients of the new coral system are listed on the product description for each bottle on the manufacturers homepage.

G.Alexander
Old 06-18-2016, 02:43 AM
ZEOhead

Hi Alexander,

Thank you Ed, by the way, off topic

Hey, your the boss, I'll let you off this time

The ingredients of the new coral system are listed on the product description for each bottle on the manufacturers homepage.

I did see that, and was very pleased, but when I went to make a comparison I couldn't find the ingredients for Base Elementz!

I live in hope that one day all manufacturers will follow the same simple procedure of informing prospective customers of exactly what they are buying and exactly what they can expect from the product. Then we can all make informed decisions on how we spend our money and how best we can look after our animals.
I despair at the cost to the environment of gimmick products, and also the number of animals that die needlessly through failed attempts to use many of the different systems, especially at a time when our coral reefs are under so much environmental pressure and are dying. A world without these species diverse and beautiful ecosystems is hard to contemplate.

That's the last time I stray from the Topic, I promise!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:38 AM
ZEOhead

Hi everyone,

We have some updates via the Philips Coral Care website. Please visit the following if you are interested in this product, there is some very helpful feedback. The second report is from a Zeovit user, Dr Jens Standke, very interesting:

http://images.philips.com/is/content...chmeitz-EN.pdf

http://images.philips.com/is/content...e-18052016.pdf

http://images.philips.com/is/content...an-Dijk-EN.pdf

http://images.philips.com/is/content...Peeters-EN.pdf
Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM
markalex markalex 目前離線
ZEOhead

Corals still look great on that second tank,definitely interested.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:31 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Ed, Jens is a member of the Forum.

Maybe he is able to tell us something more ?

G.Alexander

Last edited by G.Alexander; 06-21-2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 AM
ZEOhead

Hi Alexander,

Ah ha! The possibility had occurred to me, Jens has some beautiful corals. Thanks for confirmation.

Any feedback you may want to add would be much appreciated Dr Standke.

Today Philips have added the technical spec to the website:

http://images.philips.com/is/content...al-details.pdf

Any thoughts, anyone?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 AM
naptalene naptalene 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

First, a disclaimer.

I am no engineer and I do not fully understand LEDs.
I have a DIY rig that I have rebuilt 3 times based on peoples testing and experimenting. I have tried different layouts and colour combinations, with and without lenses. My LEDs grow SPS well and I am proud of my little tank but have always felt that I should go T5 or hybrid. So I am a fan of LED but don't think it's quite there yet.

Having said that I found the following things interesting and figured they might be worth some discussion:

1. Phillips haven't given PAR values, it's the PPFD values. They are one of the only manufacturers to do that if I'm not mistaken. I can see people getting different standards mixed up in debates PPFD is the ACTUAL light rating that should be used if I'm not mistaken. Please correct/educate me if I'm wrong.

1. They are only running at 600mA. This actually correlates to my experience where any higher just fried corals. My tank is however extremely shallow - so its nice to see that some of the tanks shown are deep. What corals can grow at the greater depths?

2. The Violet - I would have thought that they would have gone for a lower wavelength from what I've read.

3. DIY guys have been moving to lower Kelvin values for the base White channel and ommitting the Deep Red LED's. People are commenting on the much better colour rendering of livestock with this. I moved from CW to NW and noticed this occur so again it correlates to my experience.
Phillips has gone with a cooler white and are adding Amber.

4. They run Cyan like me.... I'm a genius :P

5. They have ommited Lime which is being added by the DIY clans to achieve the visual brightness that is often missing from LED rigs.

6. They have achieved an even spread without using tight clusters of LED's.
I successfully changed from a grid to a central cluster layout to avoid disco but you obviously get the very direct light from this.
Phillips have cracked the grid without the disco so lets all sing their praise for even coverage without the need for epilepsy warning signs on our tanks

On top of this I have also noticed some funny human traits coming through.
Many people have been complaining more and more that LED is too hard to dial in with so many options at your finger tips. Phillips has cut this right down and now everyone moans that there is very little control
And the housing issue.... I am of the "Form follows function" mindset and quite like that it looks like I can drop it from a building. I also like the fact that there's no active cooling that can fail, because it will eventually.

I'm not saying that anything stated above is the way it should or shouldn't be done, just pointing out the anomolies that seem to be there. I for one would love to give one a bash
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM
ZEOhead

Hi naptalene,

Thank you for your helpful contribution, some good observations.

For anyone who has been wondering, like myself:

PPFD = photosynthetic photon flux density, PPFD is a measure of the number of photons in the 400-700nm range of the visible light spectrum (photosynthetic active radiation or PAR) that fall on a square meter of target area per second.

I have never seen this unit of measurement used before either.

One of the defining features will definitely be the ****geneous, diffused light. The "light guide" and light diffusing glass cover plate are simple but clever solutions. I guess it takes the expertise of a company like Philips to finally iron out the problems that have plagued everyone before them.

Philips rational regarding control is that once you define the correct "light recipe" you don't need all that control, which is logical.The independent study they commissioned illustrated that red LED's are not beneficial to coral health, and Luc Vogels gave a good account of their chosen LED combination during the Reef Central discussion. There does seem to be some confusion at the moment regarding the violet LED's, they were first of all referred to as "deep blue", some of which were 400nm. Now they all seem to be 420nm, I feel some clarity is required here.

I definitely agree on the housing too. All the components, including the driver, are sealed away and protected from the corrosive salty atmosphere within an armored box with ample thermal cooling properties. If Philips estimate that the LED's have a lifespan of 25,000 hours (still 90% of performance after this time they say) then you can count on the whole unit having the same, or quite possibly longer

Can you seriously not use the word ****genous without an auto censor interfering with your post?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:28 AM
naptalene naptalene 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

More observations -

1. There's a spectrograph which is a pleasant change.

2. I did also see Jedimasterben mention that the UV housing materials are likely to blacken and perish due to the chosen materials used. It will be interesting to see if that is an actual issue. SXurely Phillips wouldnt miss such an issue, but he also knows his stuff so I wouldn't ignore his information either.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:10 AM
naptalene naptalene 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Geez, I was supposed to get updates from RC on the thread and didn't.
Everything has been answered by Luc Vogels.
Check the last few pages and everything I mentioned was answered very succinctly
Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM
markalex markalex 目前離線
ZEOhead

As far as red led's go,sicce came to the same conclusion.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Jens S. Jens S. 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi guys,

sorry, the last months I was very busy ...

Any questions regarding CoralCare? I use them since march.

Cheers Jens
Old 10-11-2016, 03:56 PM
markalex markalex 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hi jens
Do you have any before/after photos-how are you finding them?