zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > Equipment Forums > Lighting

Lighting Please use this forum for bulbs/fixtures/techniques etc.

Active Threads
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: chercm
Posted On: Today
Replies: 163
Views: 5,863
10 5 feet SPS tank
Last Post: AG Reefer
Replies: 43
Views: 1,395
0 Jod u. Kalium lt. Analyse zu wenig
Last Post: Michael B.
Replies: 5
Views: 97
4 Cyle A Zeovit Tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 68
Views: 3,891
0 What should i do with the old zeovit stones/media??
Replies: 14
Views: 610
0 Cat drinking from sump.
Replies: 2
Views: 73
0 Zeovit gr廲ere Gebinde oder Alternative?
Replies: 6
Views: 219
0 Spike in nitrate and cyano...please help
Replies: 18
Views: 394
0 New guy here looking for help
Replies: 24
Views: 710
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Replies: 38
Views: 1,723
More...
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM
EdCourtney EdCourtney 目前離線
ZEOhead

Default Phillips Coral Care

Hi all,

I'm really surprised that nobody has started a discussion on this new product here already, other forums are buzzing on this.

There is much discussion below, including input from the lead project engineer, Luc Vogels, who is himself a keen reef aquarist.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2548454

There have been some disparaging remarks regarding its appearance, my response to that......really?
Surely performance is everything and given the volume of products on the market that look good, are very expensive, but when stripped down and tested thoroughly are crap, this shouldn't be an issue.
Don't be surprised if the manufacturing experience, the technical expertise and the research/development resources of Phillips make a big splash in the market.

Check the beast out!

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-li/coralcare
Old 06-08-2016, 04:41 PM
waterchange scandal waterchange scandal 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi.
Well, one problem that I found in those led lights and is difficult appreciatte in videos (willfully?) is the noise of their fans. I had to install fan control in my kessils 360.
Phillips Coral Care is not a fashion creation in respect its design, but I think that there are not fans in it.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 PM
ZEOhead

Hi waterchange scandal,

Yes, no fans in the Coral Care. It's silent and passively cooled using around 9KG of metal and some very serious heat exchange fins. Fans, being that they are moving parts, cause interference and limitations on longevity.

The housing is a modified version of Phillips tried and tested housing for industrial lighting applications. It appears to have a considerably larger heat exchange surface area than anything else available at present.

The problem that all aquarium LED lighting fixtures have had so far is that form has compromised function. I like attractive things as much as the next person, but I'd prefer to spend my money on something that has been designed to optimize performance and longevity. That's the whole point of LED isn't it?
Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Less cost in the time, energy saving, 0 maintenance.
9 kg! A human error might trigger a tsunami in the tank, the N1 in simulation jeje
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Michal Michal 目前離線
TeamZeoVit

Let's wait 1 year and read reviews
Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 PM
ZEOhead

Hi Michal,

Heh, heh, that's been said every time a new fixture enters the market since the very first LED. I will be very surprised if we don't see a comparative Vs review before then, that scrutinizes the tech and performance against other fixtures on the market. I should think the likes of Reef Builders and Advanced Aquarist will be all over this, pulling it apart and stuff.

From a pragmatic perspective, Phillips are an industrial giant. They design, manufacture and market functional products that perform well and I think it's unlikely that they would expose themselves to commercial risk. The timing of this products release is no accident, Phillips have waited until the technology is ready before putting their brand name to a product, and in doing so they are going head to head with the current market leaders. This product has been nearly 5 years in development before entering the market at a very competitive price point. It's a great moment for the hobby
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi.
The "rewiew" that I needed to run Zeovit was this picture.
Phillips could try something similar, let's see if they are men or boys jeje
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_manager__rex_gallery_zoom_img_0798.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	19266  
Old 06-11-2016, 02:34 AM
ZEOhead

Hi waterchange scandal,

Since KZ don't have an LED fixture available on the market that's an irrelevant point, we know that KZ T5 and Zeovit are good products (in the hands of those that know how to use them regarding Zeovit).
What is relevant is that now a company with the stature of Phillips has entered the market it's very unlikely that KZ ever will have an LED product.
If this product stands up to scrutiny, and Phillips are clearly confident it will, at the price it's entered the market it's going to challenge the commercial viability of a lot of the fixtures currently available. If they are shown to be inferior on performance and they can't drop the price accordingly due to production costs, they are dead in the water.

I accept that a lot of the available systems have fancy wireless and programming capability, but look at it like this example - Say I have a 2,500.00 budget to spend on some kit for my 120cm wide DT, including lighting. I could buy the Vertex SR360, or I could buy two Coral Care units, a Neptune Apex (gold package) and the requisite lighting modules and still have some change. It's an easy decision

Luc Vogels aquarium, not bad eh? Luc says: I upgraded about 3 years ago . Last year i installed the final fixtures above my system (prototype versions of course).
To me, that translates as: I've been running the Coral Care over my DT for three years throughout the products development and am more than happy to continue to use it in it's current form, however, it will undoubtedly be improved further.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:11 AM
ZEOhead

Having re-read the original post from which I quoted Luc I'll correct myself.

I think he upgraded his system 3 years ago, but I think it's safe to assume that he had the product over his DT before anyone else.
Given that within the report 'Reefer's View' Twan Peeters first impression is dated 1st September 2015, I think it's also safe to assume that Luc has been testing the product over his DT for between 9 and 12 months at least.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 AM
markalex markalex 目前線上
ZEOhead

Hadnt seen these ed,but if i was looking at new lighting then a product made by a company with the R&D budget of phillips would certainly grab my attention
Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM
naptalene naptalene 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Phillips Coral Care

I saw the German interview at Interzoo and the aesthetic of the light given by the unit looked great - nice and diffused.

https://youtu.be/GZRQXEJFceo

Last edited by naptalene; 06-11-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:36 PM
andreasheisinger andreasheisinger 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hi EdCourtney,

i saw an interview with Thomas Pohl on Interzoo 2016 and his statement was clear. There is at this time no LED-System on the market that brings the bright colors of Zeovit-Corals as a T5 Light.
Why should KZ bring a LED-Lamp on the market, although there is no system available to keep Corals in the fantastic colors of a Zeovit-System with T5 Lamps ? (He talks about a long Time and not for Weeks)
I think it's a boring, that every manufacturer on Interzoo 2016 brings another LED-Lamp.Thousands of "new" Models coming up in the next month. More LED-Colors, blue, white, green, red, violet.... Apps, Webservers,Bluetooth,Wifi Thunderstorms, clouds and thousands of Gimmicks more. If i would use an LED-Lamp i would adjust it on the first day, and its for me no matter to use a cable for it, and than it must do it's job. Theres is no reason for me to adjust the Lamp thousand times a year and so there is no reason for me to do it with an App or wireless.
Bye
Andreas
Old 06-11-2016, 06:10 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Ed.
I wanted say that I prefer a picture better than 1000 words and that Phillips could show us that it is possible a spectacular tank with Coral care, if the client could not get the same result that Phillips, no doubts he is the guilty. (The same with Zeovit).
Yes, that is a very nice tank. I hope that they get a great product, similar t5.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:36 PM
ZEOhead

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for joining in. I agree entirely with your sentiment on most points, but not everyone chooses to run Zeovit, and KZ also produce products for use without Zeovit.
There are actually a large number of Zeovit users that run LED lighting on their systems also, whether Thomas Pohl recommends it or not.
I would wager that the decision by Thomas Pohl not to develop a KZ LED product is purely commercially driven, as in, it wouldn't be commercially viable, regardless of what he might say in public.
Don't get me wrong, I've run Zeovit myself and I like the products, especially the T5 lamps and Revolution skimmer, but, and it's a big but, I would also wager that KZ annual T5 lamp sales are less than those of ATI, lighting is not the core of the business. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

The main point of LED, as I have alluded to previously, is that it is more energy efficient. It uses less energy during day to day running and you don't need to replace lamps every 6 - 12 months, which need to be manufactured, which requires yet more energy.
The problem for those that do, or don't run Zeovit and want to run LED, is the plethora of gimmickry, as you rightly point out, and under performing crap, which is why I have drawn attention to this modest, apparently gimmick free, but promising product from the global leader in the field of artificial lighting, Perhaps you have missed my main thrust.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 PM
ZEOhead

Hi waterchange scandal,

I get what you're saying, that the thing about pictures is that they can be very misleading. Too many products are sold on the strength of a picture that is unobtainable to most people entering the hobby, right?

This is partly why Philips have commissioned independent scientific research and trials, beta trials over hobbyist DT's, as well as carrying out their own R&D and released all but the most commercially sensitive data to the public. No one else does that, at least not as far as I know, you usually just get "WE have carried out extensive tests and trials" and a sexy tank shot without any proof of that in the form of valid data. This has been a very honest and open approach from a big company with a good reputation. It works for me and I hope that the product meets expectation too