zeovit.com Korallenzucht  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Frag Tank
Last Post: gguertin145
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 18
0 NEW Giveaway: AquaPulse Powerheads For Your Reef Tank
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 19
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 135
Views: 10,084
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 23
Views: 527
0 Tunze Door Buster Specials Ends 11/18!
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 4
Views: 77
0 who uses coral booster and FWS?
Last Post: illumnae
Replies: 3
Views: 559
0 15% OFF TLF, Eshopps, Halo LEDS, RO, & Flipper
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 25
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Replies: 3
Views: 933
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Views: 109
0 B-Balance dosage to raise per mg/l
Last Post: 2una
Views: 64
More...

Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 AM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Converting established tank to Zeovit

I am noticing some of my blue corals and purple corals turning green. Acros and montis alike.

Iron is quite low according to my Red Sea iron test kit, which in my opinion suggests a very high iron level of 0.15ppm is normal and it clearly isn't.

Sadly the GHA is still not being affected by the now undetectable nitrate and phosphate after weeks of these low levels. Obviously it is leaching from the rock which doesn't surprise me. This rock came from a previous system that was fish only and had 40-80 ppm nitrate for some time. I have ordered two Sea Hares and added a foxface lo to help with this issue.

On a separate issue, I am struggling to keep the alkalinity stable because the alk usage keeps increasing while calcium is barely being used.

I am dosing 17.5ml of b-ionic alk supplement per day while only dosing 6ml of calcium. I am new to dosing 2 part in this manner as I've always used kalkwasser or dosed 2 part manually without putting too much thought into dosage amounts. Does this seem abnormally out of balance?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Sorry can not help you with the two part dosing maybe someone else can tell you more about it.

Forget the iron test the element is difficult to detect especially in saltwater. Just keep dosing it depending to the look of the corals but as long as you have green hair algae stop dosing it completely.

G.Alexander
Old 07-19-2017, 12:50 AM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I'm having some STN now. Haven't really changed anything.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM
ZEOadmin

Can you please check the potassium level and the flow through your Zeovit reactor if it is to high ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 AM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Flow is slow. Maybe 30gph. K is at 410.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:54 AM
ZEOadmin

I expect Ca and KH are stabile within the recommended levels ? Is this the only coral affected ? Are the other corals growing well ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Ca and KH are stable. Ca is at 450 and KH is at 7.3dKH.

There are 3 corals affected in total, this is the worst. Growth has slowed to nothing. The only change in parameters is that nitrate has become undetectable on both of my low range tests. I've tried to increase feeding to get a little nitrate back into the system which has improved polyp extension at least. The green birdsnest in the photo is almost completely gone now.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I have also skipped the zeobak doses for this week to try to prevent the nutrient stripping.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 AM
ZEOadmin

Difficult to say what has caused the TN but it is often a imbalance of elements. Firth think I would try are three water changes each 15- 20 % within 10 days.

Have you changed anything else, which kind of carbon do you use ?

G.Alexander
Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I've been using the KZ carbon per the recommendation. I decided to remove the carbon since it was due to be changed. I removed it for a week and saw improvements in colors and overall health. I have since put it back at half the suggested quantity and have already seen some issues start to come back. I am thinking of reducing it even further.

I have reduced the zeobak doses to half the regular amount to some positive effect. I am able to maintain very low, near undetectable nitrate this way which seems to significantly improve color.

I also did a deep cleaning of the sand and rocks to try to remove any stored phosphate to help remedy the hair algae problem, which isn't gone but has improved.

Full tank pic below. I seriously need to re-aquascape this mess. I have sort of gone a bit overboard with the acros. You can see the hair algae that remains and a couple of pieces that are still on the mend from my previous (pre-zeo) nutrient problem.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 AM
ZEOadmin

If you are able to keep nutrients under control with the lower dosage it would be fine. Also if the lower amount of carbon works well you can reduce it.

G.Alexander
Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I've been reviewing the dosing regimen of others and I see quite a few people using xtra but they only seem to dose it 2-3 times per week rather than daily. Is it possible to overdose xtra to a negative result (other than algae)? I clean my glass every 3-5 days, it varies from time to time.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 AM
ZEOadmin

If overdosed you might experience some kind of a algae film and darker coral tissue. I have dosed it usually 2 – 3 x weekly depending to the corals coloration.

G.Alexander
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Converting established tank to Zeovit

I reduced my Xtra dosing to half the original amount and have seen an improvement in coral color.

I finally identified the algae in my tank as bryopsis. I am going to use the fluconazole method to eradicate it. I will manually remove most of it and then dose the fluconazole afterwards to prevent any artificial nutrient spikes as the algae dies. I have only found a couple of people who have done this on a zeovit system and no one seems to have had any issues as a result.

Has anyone here tried this method?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM
arringar arringar 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

The fluconazole completely eliminated the bryopsis. But now the GHA just has more room. I cant take this anymore. This tank is growing algae like I am pouring lawn fertilizer into it. My dosing hasnt changed except I recently added bio-mate to the regimen. Everything has been stable and nutrients are unmeasurable. I barely feed the tank at all and havent for weeks trying to get rid of this crap.

I have been I this hobby for 25 years. I have eliminated GHA many times. This time I simply cannot get rid of it no matter what I do. If I cant get this under control Im taking this tank down and calling it quits for a while. This is infuriating. Please help me!!!