zeovit.com Premium Aquatics  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: chercm
Posted On: Today
Replies: 163
Views: 5,863
10 5 feet SPS tank
Last Post: AG Reefer
Replies: 43
Views: 1,398
0 Jod u. Kalium lt. Analyse zu wenig
Last Post: Michael B.
Replies: 5
Views: 97
4 Cyle A Zeovit Tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 68
Views: 3,894
0 What should i do with the old zeovit stones/media??
Replies: 14
Views: 611
0 Cat drinking from sump.
Replies: 2
Views: 73
0 Zeovit gr廲ere Gebinde oder Alternative?
Replies: 6
Views: 220
0 Spike in nitrate and cyano...please help
Replies: 18
Views: 396
0 New guy here looking for help
Replies: 24
Views: 710
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Replies: 38
Views: 1,725
More...

Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

They're all new. Ordered on a regular basis.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

And to answer G.Alexander's questions:

- 475G total system volume
- 400G actual water
- DaStaCo calcium reactor
- no phosphate, nitrate reactor
- no ozone or UV
- 8 radion G3's, run at 100% 20KK 8 hours a day with some ramp up and down before and after
- approximately 400 pounds of live rock, started as dry rock
- in addition to zeovit I dose two little fishies amino acids, and a tiny bit of lugols
Old 07-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Where you dosing the same amount of AA's as in the last tank
Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 PM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Yes. And AA dosing is also part of the additional zeovit regimen.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Have you had those nutrient issues since the beginning or has this started slowly over the time ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-09-2017, 11:10 AM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hard to remember, and I didn't record nitrates and the phosphates back then, but it's been like this for as long as I can remember, so it was pretty early on. With the old 240G they were high from the beginning, but within 2 weeks of starting zeovit they were zeroed out. Was kind of hoping that would happen this time too.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:39 AM
ZEOadmin

I have asked for it because if the rocks do leach the PO4 it can be a long process and there is not much you can do than being patient.

It would be really important to know where the PO4 is coming from.

G.Alexander
Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I dont think there is any need or requirement to dose artificially manufactured amino acids to our tanks. Amino acids are in effect the building blocks of proteins, so by giving the tank a balanced diet of natural protein (feeding it) you will be providing the required aminos anyway.

there are certain aminos that definitely stimulate a feeding response and these are recognised as feeding 'triggers' that tell the coral (or any other creature) that its time to feed and food is nearby. The food must then fulfil the expected nutritional needs - to trigger a feeding response but not offer any viable food will result in long term poor feeding responses.

I can find nothing to support the case for them being taken or absorbed from the water column.

Your just feeding the problem by dosing them
I would increase the flow threw the reactor to the recommended 400 gallons per hour in both reactors. That seems to be the link in the difference between your two tanks. Your really just moving water around the stones
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

G.Alexander...

Sorry, missed your reply. I've used the system from the start of this new tank, so it's not like the tank had a high level before zeo was started. I use RODI water and Instant Ocean for water changes and I've tested the resultant water: 0 phosphates. The only additives are the amino acids, lugols and food. I feed 3 little rolls of nori a day, and a small chunk of frozen mysis shrimp washed in RODI water at night. Doesn't seem like either of those would cause a large amount of phosphates. Certainly didn't in the old tank.

I'll ask again: if I'm splitting the 4L of zeolite media into 2 2L reactors, should the flow through each reactor be 200g/h, or 400? I asked K-Z when I set it up and was told 200 g/h through each, and I'm trying to confirm that.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 AM
ZEOadmin

For every 1 liter (bag) ZeoVit a flow of ~ 100 US gallons is recommended so if you put two bags in a 2 liter reactor the correct flow would be ~ 200 US gallons per hour for each reactor.

Have you already checked the water from your CaCO2 reactor outlet for PO4 ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-17-2017, 10:32 AM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

So the flow is correct. Rats...was hoping that was it.

DaStaCo reactor and media. Tested this morning: tank water at 0.68, reactor effluent 0.66, so it doesn't look like phosphates are being added by the reactor...
Old 07-18-2017, 02:04 AM
ZEOadmin

As Bugger has already mention I also recommend to stop dosing Aminoacids and Iodine at the moment. The PO4 level of your system is high since the start so I expect the rocks do leach it. There is not much you can do other than wait and being patient.

If you like to you can give BioMate a try to speed up the process so 2 drops / 25 US gallons every other day.

Also make sure to vacuum your sand regular while doing water changes and adjust your skimmer to skim wet cleaning it daily to export as much as possible.

Can you please also post your actual dosing regimen ?

Before you have mention that you keep 7 larger fish in the tank, what is their size ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 AM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The amino is AcroPower, and I tested it for phosphates: 0.

Dosing regimen is 0.8ml zeobak 3 times a week, 0.8ml zeofood 3 times a week, 3.2ml zeostart daily. Zeolites are changed every 4 weeks.

The bigger fish are mostly tangs: an orangeshoulder and vlamingi, each about 11", a yellow, purple, chevron and powder blue about 7" each, and a gem about 4". I do also have a CBB, about 7", so I guess that's 8. The rest are an assortment of damsels, a wrasse, engineer goby, etc. again, it's a 400G tank, and I've had this issue from relatively early even when I had few fish.

I suppose it could be leaching from the rocks, but it's been over a year, and I started with dry rock.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:09 AM
ZEOadmin

The recommendation to stop dosing amino acids does not have something to do with the possibility that the product does contain PO4, it is more to prevent the growth of algae while nutrients are elevated.

Your dosing regimen is OK just not sure with ZeoBac but 15 drops 2 3 x weekly would be the right amount.

If the PO4 level does not increase there is more import than exported or processed which indeed can still have something to do with the rocks but hard to say over the distance.

Another possibility are any kind of impacts to the biology, do corals are growing well or do you have any kind of issues with cyanos or algae ? Is the system bare bottom or does it contain a shallow layer of sand ?

G.Alexander
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM
ajlessard ajlessard 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I have no algae issues at all. Went through the normal diatom blooms when the tank was set up, but that was over a year ago. Coral growth and coloring is great. Phosphate seems prettty stable between 0.5 and 0.66; never dips under, never goes higher. I have a thin layer of sand in the tank; definitely not a DSB.