zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Considering switching to zeovit tank from redsea
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 37
Views: 2,412
0 New zeovit in France
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 36
Views: 3,266
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Last Post: JMac
Replies: 180
Views: 10,165
0 Algea issue
Last Post: zanclus
Replies: 8
Views: 237
0 New Innovative Marine Products + Icecap Salinity Tester in Stock
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 39
0 Iodine Complex
Last Post: maLx
Replies: 2
Views: 90
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Replies: 85
Views: 5,949
0 skimmer bubble problem (film)
Replies: 0
Views: 75
4 Cyle A Zeovit Tank
Replies: 88
Views: 7,387
4 Brown Algae and Stagnant Coral Growth
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 29
Views: 1,071
More...

Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default New to the forum hybrid zeovit

Hello. My name is David. From Spain.

I'm running a 80 gallon square sps and lps tank with 2 radion 30wpro g3, vertex 180, syporax reactors and algae refuge. And passive carbon fauna marine changed monthly.

It's was set three years ago but until six months I was not in the mood of trying to improve it's colour and growth.

Stable parametres on CA 480, mg 1380, kh 6,5, K 390.

NO3 less than one and PO3 around 0,05 (hanna)

Dosing:
CV 2 drops daily at night
SP 2 drops daily at night
AA 3 drops alternative days at mid day (read that AA are best absorbed by corals at daylight)
P. extra: 3ml daily at night
1 Prodibio Coral vits once a week
Brightwell microbacter 7 one capful per week.

Feeding easy sps and easy reef fitoplacton.

Water changes of 6 liters with brightwell salt each 15 days.
Using RODI with 0 results.

Triton analysis good. Just strontium, iodine and bromine low.

I'm very happy with the results but I want to go on improving specially colour which in my opinion is not as bright as I would like. Had potassium at 280 two months ago, so I consider that colors will go on improving as I continue with K stable.

I have good colors but bit pale. I'm not sure if I should go on with xtra or start extra special or if it's advised to alternate between them.

I want to start with jod complex and pif routine.

Also curious about acro glow, stylo and pocy additive (but later on)

I specially have burned tips and thin tissue at some acroporas when very low nutrients. And I'm unable to find any literature about it.

I want to present my reef (I will try to post some more pictures this weekend) and my triton results.

Just want to thank Aged salt, Alexander G. and Yano, and many more that have taught me a lot with their interesting and helpful posts.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by G.Alexander; 12-04-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Here goes triton of one month ago.

Last edited by G.Alexander; 12-02-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:50 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi David

The pale color you have mention can have a couple of reasons. If you take a closer look at the full tank shot you have posted you can see that the corals in the center have much more light and color compared to the other areas as there is most of the light.

Basically the corals are looking healthy so I would first try to make some additional water changes to refresh elements in a balanced way. Lets try to do three water changes within the next 10 days each 20%.

Iodine is not very stabile in saltwater so I see it critical to dose this element depending to the test results. It is better to use the corals as a indicator. Some signs for a leak of iodine from the PDF guide:

Quote:
The addition of this supplement leads to improved blue colors in SPS. In contrast to PVP iodide or Lugols Iodide solution, there is no tissue darkening as long as the amount is appropriate. As a starting dose we recommend to dose 1 drop per 25 gallons, however the dosing amount and interval should be adjusted to your tank. A very good indicator for dosing is yellow coral. If your yellow corals display a green shimmer, it is an indicator of over dosage of this product (or iron concentrate). When this happen, we recommend that dosing be ceased until coral colors become intense yellow again. With blue acropora, dosing should be done when colors become less intense. In most cases, dosing twice weekly at a rate of 1 drop per 100 liters should be sufficient. This supplement can also be used in tanks not using the ZEOvit method.
It is not necessary to dose two iodine additives, you might just try PotassiumIodineFluoride or Iodine Complex.

This pdf does provide a good overview of the product line:

https://cms.korallen-zucht.de/files/...ngl_150dpi.pdf

TN starting from the tips can have some reasons:

- Quick increase of potassium level
- High KH
- Aggressive carbon
- Quick decrease of PO4

G.Alexander
Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hi David

The pale color you have mention can have a couple of reasons. If you take a closer look at the full tank shot you have posted you can see that the corals in the center have much more light and color compared to the other areas as there is most of the light.

Basically the corals are looking healthy so I would first try to make some additional water changes to refresh elements in a balanced way. Lets try to do three water changes within the next 10 days each 20%.

Iodine is not very stabile in saltwater so I see it critical to dose this element depending to the test results. It is better to use the corals as a indicator. Some signs for a leak of iodine from the PDF guide:

It is not necessary to dose two iodine additives, you might just try PotassiumIodineFluoride or Iodine Complex.

This pdf does provide a good overview of the product line:

https://cms.korallen-zucht.de/files/...ngl_150dpi.pdf

TN starting from the tips can have some reasons:

-Quick increase of potassium level
-High KH
-Aggressive carbon
-Quick decrease of PO4

G.Alexander
Just so happy you have answered me!.

Perfecto!

I will do those water changes with a new bucket of aquavitro salt just bought the other week. I'm afraid that brightwell lacks of something that is slowing down improvements in colour.

I'm stopping SP because of an intelligent analysis of a great user from this forum, Yano. My silicate are 5x what they should.
Maybe it's time to stop dosing for a while.

About pohl's extra. Would extra special make stronger colors? In the description I understand extra lightens and special darkens.

What do you think about my other dosings?

Would you add or remove something from my routine?

Feel free to criticize or give me any tips you want.
About the tissue loss, none of those reasons should be responsible.

Maybe quick fosfate elimination, but it's the own chemistry of the aquarium. I don't run any fosfate removers. I'm in a range from 0,07 to 0,03 but downs and ups are never from one side to the other.

Photos:

Do you know which acropora is the yellow/greenish one?

On the blue tenuis, on the longer left branch at the tip, it loss some tissue due to the misterious thing that happens sometimes to my acros.

The other one is just for you people to judge my colors and comment how to boost them.

Thank you very much for your work and time. And sorry for my way of writing. My English is even rustier than my aquarist skills.

Thank you!

Last edited by G.Alexander; 12-04-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:10 PM
yano yano 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da8 View Post
Do you know which acropora is the yellow/greenish one?

I think this is Acropora aculeus.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:17 AM
ZEOadmin

Really difficult to give you a recommendation as you use some kind of components I do not have experience with.

As you do not have a problem with dark tissue of the coral and as you do not have issues with algae, cyano etc. I would not see a problem with the dosing regimen you use for the korallenzucht products. Dosing more will not really help so I expect the “issues” have some other reasons.

I would start with the water changes to rule out any kind of a element imbalance first. Light can be another factor so make sure the lighting spectrum is adequate. I have just used T5 and HQI on my reefs so I can not really help you with LED.

G.Alexander
Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you very much Alexander.
Had several personal issues this week but today started with the water changes of 5%

Stopped sponge power while continued with my routine.
Everything seems OK.

I want to recommend easy sps coral food. Just been trying it for two weeks and no nitrate or fosfate rise and corals seem to really like it.

I leave some photos for you judge colours of the beginning of I hope a good looking tank.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by G.Alexander; 12-12-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Happy new year.

Water changes and hybrid zeovit routine are working well for me.

Started fifteen days ago with acro glow and it is very difficult to measure increase on yellows but I'm so happy with them. Aculeus is bright.

So here they go the questions.

Acro Glow is a treatment for new sps and should be stopped when desired colour is achieved or is a daily thing?

Have bought b balance and PIF.

When do you recommend me start with them and how?

Have they got any risks for the corals?

I understand I will have to stop adding any other form os potassium or iodine right?

Actually dosing brightwell potassium and iodine.

Last but not least. I'm ending Pohls extra and wondering if I should try extra special.

Got some good looking lps also. Shall I try special or stick to extra. Could you tell me the difference between them?

Leave some photos
Thanks for the reading. Best regards to all.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180111-WA0074.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	20501

Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I've never heard of extra lighting colors. I think it will only darken your corals if overdosed
Can I ask where have you read that AA's are taken up in the daytime. Ive found it hard to find anything on that subject.
Acro Glow has had poor reviews but youve already brought it so continue using it and let us know.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 PM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend you to get XTra Standard, the Special formula is for systems having constant issues with light coral tissue. If you dose PIF do not use a additional iodine supplement. PIF does also contain some potassium but the quantity is to low to get any measurable result so supplementing potassium is necessary furthermore. As Bugger already said, if you overdose corals tissue will get darker.

A good start for the supplements is usually 2 x weekly the recommended quantity listed on the bottles label so:

XTra – 1 ml / 25 US gallons
PIF – 1 drop / 25 US gallons
B-Balance - 1 ml / 25 US gallons

G.Alexander
Old 01-13-2018, 02:05 AM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for your replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I've never heard of extra lighting colors. I think it will only darken your corals if overdosed
Can I ask where have you read that AA's are taken up in the daytime. Ive found it hard to find anything on that subject.
Acro Glow has had poor reviews but youve already brought it so continue using it and let us know.
I might have expressed myself wrong. No, extra defined my colours great. Nothing about making them lighter.

Acroglow results are very difficult to measure. I'm going to use it until the end of the bottle. Then I will stop until I see measurable differences. If they aren't won't buy it again.

From the AA issue. Read it in another forum on a thread about feeding sps from Scott Felman from unique corals.

'' SPS corals benefit from amino acid dosing, as it prevents them from bleaching, and spurs the production of pigments that help regulate the amount of light they receive- kinda like natural sunblock. Of further interest is the fact that scientists have noted that corals uptake amino acids during daylight hours, as this uptake is stimulated by light.''

Have I misunderstood it?

Alexander thank you very much for your answer.
Shall I start with both products at the same time or with which one would you start?

My reds are not in shape, nor the blues. Greens are perfect.
Yellows are starting to improve greatly.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 PM
ZEOadmin

Hello David, if you start them one by one you will get a better feeling to which each product is doing. From the view of the result both can be started dosing at the same time.

Because of the leak in blue you might check the K+ level of your system, if that is OK a iodine supplement can be helpful.

Not sure which kind of red you are missing but B-Balance can be helpful in this case.

G.Alexander
Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Hello David, if you start them one by one you will get a better feeling to which each product is doing. From the view of the result both can be started dosing at the same time.

Because of the leak in blue you might check the K+ level of your system, if that is OK a iodine supplement can be helpful.

Not sure which kind of red you are missing but B-Balance can be helpful in this case.

G.Alexander
Thank you for your answers.
You are very helpful!

Is b balance dangerous? Read somewhere that it had similar effects of zeo spur.

Have you got any other advice for my system?

Thank you very much!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 AM
ZEOadmin

From my experience B-Balance does not cause issues if not heavy overdosed. You are right it has a lighting effect to the corals tissue but this process is much, much slower compared to ZeoSpur2. The ingredients are different.

G.Alexander
Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Da8 Da8 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

So, in your opinion is worth trying?

I don't want to risk the health of my corals and I don't understand in what consists b balance process.

It would help me a lot if you could give me some advice about it.

Do you thing b balance pale colours will be solved with Pohls special darkening effect?

Thank you very much for your constant help. I would love to help the other members of the forum but I haven't got the knowledge to do so.

So at least hope you are happy to see my progress in this photos!