Replies: 7
Views: 224
More...

Old 12-02-2018, 10:16 AM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default White and almost bleached corals

Hello Guys

I currently have a 200L cube mainly SPS tank, with lots of monti caps, some zoas and acros, all small frags and some medium corals.

All my monti caps, green montis and seriatopora caliendrums are almost white in color and no PE, after some months of research I came to the conclusion it could be the PO4 on 0 that is affecting my corals, my parameters are:

kH: 7.6
Ca: 415
PO4: 0
NO3: 2.5

All tested with Hanna Colorimeters.
Almost no fish load on my 200L (only 2 small perculas), and a big scrubber taking tons of green every 2 weeks.

I feed the corals 2 times a week with Coral Frenzy, Reef Roids and ReefBooster (Prodibio), but the color on montis seems not to be changing, some are really really pale, acros a doing perfect.

I am in the process of purchasing Zeo Aminos and Vitamins, or whatever is needed to bring up color and PE back to my corals, the question is:

What can you advice on my?
What would be the best additive to add here? CV? Aminos? Pohls Xtra? My problem seems to be only with Phosphates.

Thank you guys in advance.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Hello, first of all, I want to say sorry to you, the product you described, I have no experience.

What is the type of light and lighting time

Does the coral grow, does the element consume?

Do you use extra equipment like UV light? or other reasons for other pale corals

What is the brand of activated carbon, what is the use of activated carbon, and what is the amount of activated carbon, same zeolite

What method do you use to reduce NP, product type, or overuse?

How long has the coral been pale, what is the age of the tank?

Zeovit basic message, you may need to fill it out

Low malnutrition water quality, usually coral should have good PE, there are many possibilities for affecting PE

If there is basically no problem above, make sure the water quality is inline stable.
It is recommended to get a potassium test kit, K+~380 mg, please be sure to increase slowly. You can choose Zeo KB, or KB-Strong.
Zeo CV, AA, XTRA, PIF, FE are also good choices
Old 12-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I dose phosphate at 1 drop per 25gallons everyday. I do also feed roids everyday and have had more success this way. I would go fish shopping do an ICP test to see what is in the water.
BRSTV noticed they needed to dial back the light on the scrubber because it was removing to much on there 160 I'd advise you to try that out.
Your filter might be to strong
Old 12-02-2018, 02:33 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you guys for the answers

-No UV light or filter at all
-My light is a DIY 120w Led full spectrum fixture (All Cree, Semiled and Osram), and some of the corals like Acros and Poccis are doing great, great color and grow, but others like I said are really pale in color.
-Tank is 10 month old now.
-My main filters are Deltec 600 (rated for 700L), algae scrubber optimized to take as much as it can, and activated carbon filter (with kent pellets, about 80Grms for my 200L)

I really don't want to turn anything off, I prefer to put more food on my systems since filtering is doing great.

What I can clearly see is:
No PE on some SPSs, Pale colors on some SPSs, almost no grow on ALL my SPSs.

Bugger, I can tweak the scrubber to cut some hours on the scrubber.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前線上
ZEOhead

I agree with Bugger: get some more fish!
High nutrient import and high export is probably one of the best ways of getting good coloration and growth. It really does sound like your corals are starving.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Ok, will try to add more food then, and aminos.

I purchased AF Vitality and will get Acropower from TLF tomorrow.
Is there any good additive to add from Zeo? I heard Pohls Xtra is really a good food source for corals..is that correct?

Or is it the same as Acropower?
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

As Jacky has mention already, can you please check the potassium level of your system ? Is the carbon you use the same as you have used since the beginning ? The kind of coral you have posted are sensitive to a low potassium level.

G.Alexander
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

In my personal experience, the potassium content in the ocean is only lower than the Ca value. Potassium my use helps corals grow healthy and brighten coral color levels. If there is a serious lack of potassium, it may lead to the phenomenon of coral TN. Lack of potassium, pale coral, fading (gray), and tissue looks dry.

And usually supplementing nutrition, no matter what kind of nutrient supplement, definitely makes the corals improve color, but the lack of potassium corals shows the color level and the nutrition alone is different.

The performance of the two corals will be different, you can experience the different changes in corals. This is very interesting.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 AM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Sps tank It is also good to know if the water quality Kh.Ca.Mg is at a normal level. Elemental leakage may also be the cause of coral color leakage. It is recommended to understand Kh, ca, mg, which are the most basic inline relationships. (No high level is required, the recommended level is recommended, high level does not seem to have much effect on color),

low nutrient water quality + stable parameters
With this "stability", corals have more space to develop and have broader adjustments. Based on this condition, develop forward

Can't say that I am totally right, everyone has different tastes, this is my concept and thoughts.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
As Jacky has mention already, can you please check the potassium level of your system ? Is the carbon you use the same as you have used since the beginning ? The kind of coral you have posted are sensitive to a low potassium level.

G.Alexander

These are my Parameters, complete:

-Mg 1450
-Ca 415-420
-kH 7.6
-PO4 0
-NO3 2.5 ppm
-K 390
-Temp 26.3
-Not running Zeovit at all
-Scrubber ON for 15 hrs
-I changed the carbon pellets once a month, different brands (From Kent to no brand)

The problem is with all Montiporas (Caps, digi and ranbow) and my Seriatoporas Caliendrum.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:34 PM
skull skull 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky View Post
Sps tank It is also good to know if the water quality Kh.Ca.Mg is at a normal level. Elemental leakage may also be the cause of coral color leakage. It is recommended to understand Kh, ca, mg, which are the most basic inline relationships. (No high level is required, the recommended level is recommended, high level does not seem to have much effect on color),

low nutrient water quality + stable parameters
With this "stability", corals have more space to develop and have broader adjustments. Based on this condition, develop forward

Can't say that I am totally right, everyone has different tastes, this is my concept and thoughts.
Sorry for the bad grammar, not sure how to edit the posts on this board.
The parameters are really stable, I use an automatic doser for kH and CA, I do not dose Mg since I think it is high, my salt is Red Sea Coral Pro from the beginning, never changed it.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:00 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thank you for your reply, looks great

the sea salt part I use the same brand with you, but I chose Red Sea Salt (kh7.7)

1.What makes me wonder is why magnesium is as high as 1450 (Feel strange)

2. Different brands of activated carbon, or inferior activated carbon, may release phosphorus, or cause adverse effects of PE and erosion of coral tissue.

3. I don't know much about your tank, there may be some details related to it, and I can't give you more advice. If the water quality is stable, you can start with potassium addition.

The data looks good, like potassium, you say 390 mg, but it is completely different from the coral, and usually the sea salt of Red Sea, potassium is not high unless you add potassium.

Maybe it’s the test package spoiled... maybe...
Old 12-03-2018, 01:06 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

Scrubber ON 15 hr - I have no experience, sorry.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:14 PM
jacky jacky 目前離線
ZEOhead

In my little experience The digi coral is also sensitive to potassium deficiency.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:34 PM
blackizzz blackizzz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Based on the fact that it's Montipora and Seriatopora that's showing the signs, I'd definitely double-check that potassium test. My guess is that you'll find that it's showing higher than what it actually is.

Which potassium test are you using?

Tags
amino, color, polyp extension, ulns