zeovit.com AquaIllumination  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Frag Tank
Last Post: gguertin145
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 18
0 NEW Giveaway: AquaPulse Powerheads For Your Reef Tank
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 19
0 Reef Hommi
Last Post: Hommi
Replies: 135
Views: 10,084
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Last Post: marcin_c
Replies: 23
Views: 527
0 Tunze Door Buster Specials Ends 11/18!
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 4
Views: 77
0 who uses coral booster and FWS?
Last Post: illumnae
Replies: 3
Views: 559
0 15% OFF TLF, Eshopps, Halo LEDS, RO, & Flipper
Last Post: Premiumaq
Views: 25
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Replies: 3
Views: 933
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Views: 109
0 B-Balance dosage to raise per mg/l
Last Post: 2una
Views: 64
More...

Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default New ZEOvit tank, Algae issues

My tank is 4 months old. I have tried to follow the ZEOvit guide to the best of my ability and I think i may need some guidance of more experienced individuals. Initially I had high nitrate issues but I carried on with the dozing regimen and they dropped. Lots of green algae at the time. A cleanup crew and a tang made short work of it. Had nice pretty purple, red and green rock. however, once the nitrate dropped, I have had an out break of short brown algae.The tang doesn't care for it and the snails don't seem overly aggressive. I have a 100 more snails coming to tomorrow. I would really like to start stocking the tank but I want to make sure it is ready. The brown algae concerns me. Below are my specs. Can one of you pros push me in right direction? Thanks in advance.
Jeff
1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 375 US Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter - 300 US Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - Not yet. Install next week.
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV - No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Royal Exclusiv Bubble King 200 Deluxe. Internal 180 to 400 US Gallons
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 - 0, NO3 - 0
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Ca - 460, Alk - 8.6, Mg - 1680
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) None. Sump, 3 rows of filter socks, 10 socks total, 800, 400 and 200 micron. Skimmer, 1 Liter carbon in reactor
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) 3 x 250 watt metal halide Pheonix Hexarc 14K, 8, 80 watt T5 super actinics. Age 2 months.
12. What corals do you keep - just a few frags, encrusting corals at this point.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) good polyp extension, brown with orange dots, Orange, green with blue dots. Colors are bright.
14. How long has the tank been running - 4 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - To maintain, bright, healthy, fast growing SPS corals.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - Only dosing with ALK and Mg to maintain. Ca is ready but not dosing
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 230 lbs, Fresh live rock flown in from Fiji.
18. Any present problems - Algae bloom.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)
Brown Algae bloom, short length, not Diatoms. Makes everything look fuzzy. Some snails are eating it. Have one hundred more snails coming tomorrow. Tang won't touch it.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Mine - all Red Sea Pro (new) repeated by my LFS (Salifert) (new)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) -
1. ZEOvit -3 liters in VERTEX RX-Z 3.0L ZEOLITE REACTOR 90% changed every 6 weeks.
2. ZEObak - 12 drops twice per week, unless folloiwng a ZEOvit change then 12 drops every day for 5 days. Resume twice per week
3. ZEOfood7 - 12 drops twice per week, unless folloiwng a ZEOvit change then 12 drops every day for 5 days. Resume twice per week
4. ZEOstart - 1 ml daily.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
Temp 76
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ca 460
Alk 8.6
Mg 1680

23. Which salt brand do you use - Currently ESV 4 part. Considering changing to Fritz RPM. Have heard good things and the parameters are very close to mine. Water changes are done using the Genesis Renew working with the Genesis Storm. 12 gallons changed weekly, 1 gallon at a time.

Attached are some pics of the full system. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	20307   Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	20308   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	20309   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	20310   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	20311   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	20312  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I would wait and give the snails a try. 100 is alot but if they dont eat it then you will have to pull the rocks and treat with 3% peroxide.
Your tank right now seems to be in ULNS state I would deal with the algae then stock the tank with fish or feed more coral foods as your current set up might starve and weaken any new corals over the long run.

Your system is impressive what are those two block buckets on the wall for?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you!
Those are one gallon containers used by the Genesis Renew automatic water changer. They have a very unique way to accomplish this. The container on the left will hold one gallon of fresh saltwater, the container on the right holds one gallon of old tank water. First off this thing is super easy to operate. You simply key in the number of gallons each week that you want to change from 1 to 99. It will calculate how frequently it must change one gallon of water in order to accomplish this for the week. Then you push start to do the first gallon. It will pump water from the blue storage container into the one gallon container. Now, it has an overflow back to the blue storage so that no matter how long the pump runs (actually 1 minute) then the amount over one gallon flows back. so that when it stops, it always holds one gallon. The same thing happens with the sump water that is pumped into the other container. When the system determines that everything went normal, then the sump water is dumped down the drain and the fresh saltwater is dumped into the sump. There is also a setting for continuous if you want to do a continuous water change like 20 gallons at once, one gallon after another until the 20 gallons is reached or a daily change for how many gallons you want to change per day. I like the weekly setting. Works with the storm, their water top off like a charm. They talk to each other so that the water top off know when to stop since its a water change and not evaporation.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

So it refills the tank at the same time it takes water out so that the ato dosent fill the tank with fresh water. Interesting... to bad I don't have a drain nearby
Old 10-24-2017, 10:14 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

@Bugger, actually no, there is a communication cable between the Genesis Renew and Storm. They know about each other and when the water change starts, it tells the Storm not to top off while the water change is taking place. Both are made by Genesis and designed to function together. I have been really impressed with their functionality and design. Very cool.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:15 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Would recommend you some changes for the dosage:

12 drops ZeoBac 2 x weekly (after each ZeoVit exchange daily for 10 days)
0.12 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily
12 drops SpongePower every other day

Additional to support the algae treatment:

24 ml CorlSnow every other day for some time.

The 10 filter socks are a lot, I would recommend to reduce the quantity to 2 and clean them daily.

Stop dosing ZeoFood, at the moment it will just fuel the algae.

If you run the carbon in a reactor reduce the quantity to 0.6 liters.

Also the KH and the Mg level are bot a little bit to high, let them drop do:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Mg ~ 1280 – 1300 mg

Keeping them as stabile as possible.

G.Alexander
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

@G.Alexander
Thank you! This is what I needed. I wish I had some more understanding of what each component did exactly and how do adjust. I am sure that will come with experience.

I will need to place an order to make a couple of these happen, but I will get started on these changes.

I have to run a minimum of 3 filter socks just because of the layout of the sump. leaving the 3rd out in the first tier will cause the water to bypass the socks for the path of least resistance. I will post a pic for understanding. I am assuming that you would be suggesting 3 of the finer micron socks. Cleaning them daily is not an issue as I have started cleaning all 10 frequently in order to stop any detritus from decaying.

On the dosing, .12 ml of ZEOstart only works out to 2.4 drops. I was going to set this up on the GHL Doser but now I am not sure that fine of an adjustment can be made to the dosage. For now, would you recommend by hand?

There are 5 fish in the system at the moment as well as a few polyps and encrusting corals. One purple tang, one pair mated Frostbite Ocellaris Clowns, one pair mated Lightening Maroon Clowns. Do you recommend holding off on any livestock or coral additions at this point?

Thanks!
Jefff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RE4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	20314  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

I believe that the 0.12 ml start is a typo I think he meant 1.2 ml twice daily I don't see that amount doing anything but wait till he answers.
Algae will grow in zeovit tanks regardless. And zeovit is very good at growing nuisance bacteria that is why he recommended using coral snow every other day for some time. Some people say it is just chalk and has the effect of bonding to organics and then eaisly skimmed out by the skimmer. Its hard to tell from the photos what your dealing with. Im guess you started with live rocks.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:33 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Smile

@Bugger,
Yes, I went and read up on Coral Snow right after i read the post. It appears to be a very good product and many people swear by it. At 24 ml every other day for quite some time, even the liter that i ordered is only going to last a little less then 3 months. My snails are out for delivery so hoping to see that delivery notice pop up on my phone soon.

I hope its 1.2. I was a little concerned about pulling off that less then half a drop. I was going to ask him if we could round up and then I could add one drop 5 times per day. On the other hand I thought well a 500 ml bottle of ZeoStart will last a long time at that dose.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:40 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Sorry the recommendation of 0.12 ml 2 x daily for ZeoStart was a typo, should be 1.2 ml 2 x daily as Bugger has mention.

Running 3 filters socks by the design of your sump should be OK also if you are able to clean them daily which is the most important thing for them.

G.Alexander
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 AM
berlin-riff berlin-riff 目前線上

Welcome to zeovitand Nice Build
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

@berlin-riff.... Really want to make this a nice tank. I have seen a lot of pics of so many nice ZEOvit tanks. This is a center point of my home that I built. The house was literally designed around it. I spent two years buying equipment and designing this system. I measured, cut and glued every single pipe. There is not a single pipe that is not fully seated in its fitting. I am a little anal but maybe that will help.
I had marine fish only tanks for 25 years and then reef tanks with mainly softies for 5 years. I had some beautiful tanks. I did have a couple of acroporas, but they were brown, and we thought that was the way they were supposed to be. Then I had kids. I have been out of the hobby for 20 years. Now that I am back, I feel like a total beginner. I know nothing. When I had to stop, there was no internet, we had magazines. if you had a question, you WROTE a letter and mailed it in to the column that you were following. I wrote to Julian Sprung many times. Then you waited for the next month to see if an answer was published, then, most of the time if you didn't figure it out, it was dead... Now, I can ask a question and hopefully by the next day, someone will have come to my rescue. Glad you all are here!!
Jeff
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

So, I have just really gotten started on the suggestions but things are already looking better. KH is now 7.6 and Mg has dropped to 1460. After the Coral snow (first time was this past Monday with tonight being the next dose) the water is crystal clear. I added 3 new coral frags Saturday and they seem very happy, colors are bright and PE is good. The algae has stopped advancing and the crabs, snails and urchins are making headway now and bare coraline covered rock is gradually being exposed again.

I have noticed that a lot of people at just a month or two have tanks full of coral. I was afraid of doing this before making sure my tank could support them. So, should I have more in this tank at this point? Is that part of getting this system up and going to get enough coral in it initially to get the biotope in place? The tank is barely populated and I have a box of corals available to me today, arriving tomorrow if i say go.
This shipment, each box consists of 21 colonies Acropora & 1 Ultra Montipora

Description and type of coral Qty/box Size
Rainbow Millepora 1 1 69cm
Rainbow Tenuis 1 1 69cm
Rainbow Latistella with Blue Tips 1 1 69cm
Red Tenuis with Yellow Tips 1 1 69cm
Rainbow Natalensis Reef Raft Rainbow Looms 1 1 69cm
Rainbow Plana Morph 1 1 69cm
2 Color Deepwater Latistella Red with Yellow Tips 1 1 69cm
2 Color Turaki Purple & Green 1 1 69cm
2 Color Millepora BWI Yellow & Green 1 1 69cm
2 Color Millepora BWI Red 1 1 69cm
2 Color Millepora Red 1 1 69cm
2 Color Tenuis Blue & Green 1 1 69cm
Enchinata Blue 1 1 69cm
Austera Yellow 1 1 69cm
Hoeksemai Blue with Yellow Tips 1 1 69cm
Selago Morph 1 1 69cm
Plana BWI Violet 1 1 69cm
Selago Red with Yellow Tips 1 1 69cm
Hyacintus Red & Green 1 1 69cm
2 Color Florida BWI 1 1 69cm
Latistella Bali Short Cake 1 1 69cm
Montipora Undata Red with Blue Polyps 1 1 69cm
contents: 22 colonies

Is this wise or should I pass? I only feed once per day. Nitrate and Phosphate will not budge off of zero. Would these starve? From what I am reading it is necessary to have some nitrate and phosphate to support them as long as the values are low and phosphate does not exceed nitrate. Am I understanding this correctly? Advice?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-01-2017, 10:21 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

A few pics from my phone of Saturdays frags. Sorry for the poor quality.
JEff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6582[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	20325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6585[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	20326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6587[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	20327  
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

At four months it should be fine to add more corals. I did mine at three months no problems
What are you testing phosphate with?
Usually people add fish before the corals.

Generally you want your corals to be kept in sea water conditions of phosphate 0.07 otherwise they will close down and not show polyp extension and waste away but zeovit keeps phosphate even lower 0.03 which is exceptable to keep color vibrant.