zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 NEW VID & CONTEST: Reef Octopus eSsence S-130
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 19
0 180 Convert to Zeo from Turf Scrubber
Last Post: gguertin145
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 39
Views: 1,030
0 Mulm
Last Post: luckybaker4
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers
Last Post: SantaMonica
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 17
Views: 822
0 Vodka and Zeovit?
Last Post: ajlessard
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 89
0 Considering converting to Zeovit
Last Post: JonRivers
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 8
Views: 149
0 Vertex Reactor Pump Replacement
Last Post: rchavez
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 30
0 A.li's zeovit thread
Last Post: ___a.li___
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 27
Views: 2,032
0 System Re-Start with Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 42
Views: 2,049
0 NEW Zetlight LED's are HERE
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 12-16-2017
Replies: 0
Views: 38
More...
  #1  
Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default 120L display tank algae problem etc.

Started the pure zeovit system from the very beginning 3 months ago, now the tank shows very confusing result to me.

Ca 420-440
Mg 1410-1420
KH 8.0
PH 7.8-7.9
No3 0
Po4 0(Hanna)

data read from three weeks ago till now the same.

the water in tank shows clear at night, but very foggy in daytime. Algae grows every where on rocks, sands, some in green, some in dark grey, some in brown, some in PINK(Yes! in PINK)......

Clown fish x2 (4cm, 5cm)
Blue Tang x1 (6cm)
Flame Angel x1 (4cm)
Yellow Tang x1 (4-5cm)
Pear Tang x1 (4-5cm)
All fishes eat well poop well, 3 times feeding a day at 0800, 1600 and 0000. Seaweed 1-2 times per day.

-Zeovit 200ml, flowrate 180-220L/h for Zeovit reactor,

-automatically shaking everyday at 24:00,

-ZeoBak 1drop /3 days.

-12L water change per 7-8 days,

-carbon changed 4 weeks for 1/2( two bags, 50ml each, change one bag every time).

-Returning pump is 1350L/h from sump(actual flow rate monitored by flow meter).

-Skimmer works stably, dark and stick liquid skimmed out.

Could anyone let me know what is wrong with my tank? It's running 3 months already but the result looks still not ready for getting sps.

Last edited by KZlover; 10-12-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Bugger's Avatar
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 947
Default

You got to many fish in there. Three tangs how big is the tank? Algae two times a day your fish must love you. -ZeoBak 1drop /3 days. How big is that tank you should add 1 drop per 25 gallons. I got so sick of the algae issues I was having I got rid of most of my fish now I have no algae problems I keep two damsels in a 90
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 PM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
You got to many fish in there. Three tangs how big is the tank? Algae two times a day your fish must love you. -ZeoBak 1drop /3 days. How big is that tank you should add 1 drop per 25 gallons. I got so sick of the algae issues I was having I got rid of most of my fish now I have no algae problems I keep two damsels in a 90
The total net water is about 160L including sump. 120L display tank. In my opinion the problem is not too many fishes, the volume of feeding was the same as my Berlin tank one year ago. I think its about the system running. I tried Bak 1 drop/7days even, water looked great but after water changing weekly, it went foggy and algae again. Look at the water test data, should be very good but foggy water and algae make me no confidence to get SPS in tank.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,961
Default

I agree to Bugger, those are a lot of fish for the system size and they will grow furthermore.

Do you also dose ZeoStart ?

Dosing CoralSnow might be helpful also.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 AM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
I agree to Bugger, those are a lot of fish for the system size and they will grow furthermore.

Do you also dose ZeoStart ?

Dosing CoralSnow might be helpful also.

G.Alexander
Noticed.

Should I turn up the flow rate for zeoreactor?

Will add snow and see what's going on.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM
FraysReef FraysReef 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 85
Default

I maybe wrong I'm sure G Alexander will pitch in on this but for a 120L tank (25G) you should be running the reactor around 110L/hour --
Sadly that is alot of fish for such a aquarium I understand you're aware of this and how it will impact on the system badly.

I would have thought the brown and pink to be diatoms and cyano, have you tried brushing the rocks does it come off easily?

--------------------------------
Fraysreef
zeohead in training
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:14 PM
mike1970 mike1970 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: california
Posts: 36
Default

not just too many fish, but fish that produce a lot of waste/bio load (tangs)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 PM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraysReef View Post
I maybe wrong I'm sure G Alexander will pitch in on this but for a 120L tank (25G) you should be running the reactor around 110L/hour --
Sadly that is alot of fish for such a aquarium I understand you're aware of this and how it will impact on the system badly.

I would have thought the brown and pink to be diatoms and cyano, have you tried brushing the rocks does it come off easily?

--------------------------------
Fraysreef
zeohead in training
Yes, the colors could be easily brushed, but it comes again in 3-5 days. Could those diatoms and cyano problem solved safely by any recommended method?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 PM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,961
Default

To give you any recommendation for the reactor flow I need to know if the 160 US gallons volume is the gross or the net complete water volume of the system.

What kind of algae are these exactly, can you post a good, clear, white balanced picture of them ?

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 AM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
To give you any recommendation for the reactor flow I need to know if the 160 US gallons volume is the gross or the net complete water volume of the system.

What kind of algae are these exactly, can you post a good, clear, white balanced picture of them ?

G.Alexander
Hi, G. A,

The net water is about 160L not 160g, im sure 160g will be much easier to handle.

Please see the photos uploaded here.

Now I turned the flowrate for ZEO Reactor as 220L/h. It was 100L/h and doing good, but problems like algae and foggy water comes after water changing weekly. Will see if 220L/h Reactor if is working well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D941682-2289-4756-9E74-BADBB7E2121D.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	20282   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3939F65-7082-47DE-A2D8-107D7DD76332.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	20283   Click image for larger version

Name:	013EC843-7A13-4389-9DC3-133D06A94350.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	20284   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F98A48A-DA3E-46DE-8576-A1529591B686.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	20285  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:58 PM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,961
Default

Usually 160 liters per hour would be the right flow using 0.4 liters ZeoVit. As long as your corals do not respond negative you can run the higher flow temporary to see if that changes anything but I do not expect it.

So the cloudy water is just after the water change ? How long does it stay ?

In your dosing plan I can not see ZeoStart, how much do you dose ?

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:51 AM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Usually 160 liters per hour would be the right flow using 0.4 liters ZeoVit. As long as your corals do not respond negative you can run the higher flow temporary to see if that changes anything but I do not expect it.

So the cloudy water is just after the water change ? How long does it stay ?

In your dosing plan I can not see ZeoStart, how much do you dose ?

G.Alexander
Hi,
Yes I missed to mention Start3 dosing.
The ZeoStart is diluted with RO water as 1:49, 5ml/3-4days, then its equally twice during every water change session.

The cloudy water comes not regularly. The last time very very cloudy is after a water change also with 1/2 carbon and 1/3 ZEOvit replacement.

Does that cause problem when water, carbon and ZEOvit changing in the same time? Thats the only reason I could think about.

About the flowrate of zeo Reactor, now is 220L/h, so far so good. Will see whats going on in a coming week.

Btw, around ph=7.8, Redox reading quite dramatically as 180-380mv, is that meaning anything?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 AM
G.Alexander's Avatar
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 33,961
Default

You should not change the ZeoVit and the carbon at the some day. I would recommend to wait a couple of days between the exchanges but basically I do not think that this is the reason for the cloudiness, it would just be better for your corals.

For a net water volume of 160 liters use 0.4 liters zeovit with a reactor flow of ~ 160 liters per hour.

G.Alexander
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 AM
KZlover KZlover 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
You should not change the ZeoVit and the carbon at the some day. I would recommend to wait a couple of days between the exchanges but basically I do not think that this is the reason for the cloudiness, it would just be better for your corals.

For a net water volume of 160 liters use 0.4 liters zeovit with a reactor flow of ~ 160 liters per hour.

G.Alexander

All clear. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7, Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright by ZeoVit.com