zeovit.com Sewatec.de - Reef Supply International  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Last Post: JMac
Posted On: Today
Replies: 83
Views: 2,785
4 Feature Tank Atilla 畤bek (atillaozbek) - Turkey
Last Post: sjdragonslayer
Replies: 21
Views: 8,474
0 New to zeo
Last Post: Invictoreef
Replies: 36
Views: 2,059
0 The Island Reef
Last Post: sjdragonslayer
Replies: 137
Views: 22,317
0 New zeovit in France
Last Post: Positron
Replies: 22
Views: 1,466
0 jacky Novice questions for improvement
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 55
Views: 2,489
0 Zeovit 14 days cycle red sea reefer 250
Last Post: behague0104
Replies: 28
Views: 2,180
0 Reef aquarium 750 liters
Last Post: Wolskinyc
Replies: 9
Views: 478
0 Help with 14 day cycle
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 3
Views: 269
0 Zeovit with automation
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 2
Views: 143
More...

Old 04-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Kproescher Kproescher 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default flow

Ok, got it dialed in. In your opinion do I remover everything form the refuge all at once or slowly remove it over a couple of days due to all the stuff it could release? My system ran with the refuge for 8-9 mrs. will taking it out make my levels go crazy?
Thank you
Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

remove gradually once or twice a week. something like 25% every week.
zeovit system will not need anything other than your sand, rocks and the zeolite for populating the bio load so all whats in the sump other than equipment's and carbon will not be needed
Old 04-29-2018, 11:45 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Default Flow

So if it's overflowing how can you measure flow coming out of the return? I checked the pump and found out 2 things, it was clogged with cheeto and the ceramic shaft is broken... it's still working but I'm going to get a new one anyway. I'm hoping to find a D.C. Pump that I can dial back the power instead of the wanky valve adjustment.
Got to say I'm not liking my reactor if it can't handle the flow I need. Should I have gone with the 3 liter ?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:50 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

The reactor should work with a flow of 160 US gallons per hour, not sure what the issue with yours is. You could try to replace the 90 degree angle with a arch, also make sure the tubes at the outlet do not reduce the diameter of the water outlet.

G.Alexander
Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Default reactor

It works but I was just stating that I should be able to get 160gph with out it coming out the top and if it does come out the top how accurate can that be as the flow coming out of the reactor is only partial. I believe I have close to 160 at the moment.
thanks
Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kproescher View Post
It works but I was just stating that I should be able to get 160gph with out it coming out the top and if it does come out the top how accurate can that be as the flow coming out of the reactor is only partial. I believe I have close to 160 at the moment.
thanks
I agree, in your situation measuring will be tough if you are trying to measure at the output. in your case the only accurate way to measure is to measure the input to the reactor which you can only do with a flow meter. I actually measure my reactor at its input using a flow meter(my PRS reactor have flow meter integrated in it) this is the most accurate way.
if your reactor operation is normal, you can measure the output flow (using a filling bucket method as an example).
not sure what to tell you, i will only state that knowing your reactor flow is fundamental to your success in zeovit
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
ZEOhead in Training

This Saturday it will be 4 weeks since I started this journey and I'll be changing out my carbon and zeovit media...do I change out all the rock or leave some old in the reactor? Do I use the same measurement of rock and carbon? And finally do I dose the same?
Thanks
Old 05-02-2018, 12:41 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
This Saturday it will be 4 weeks since I started this journey and I'll be changing out my carbon and zeovit media...do I change out all the rock or leave some old in the reactor? Do I use the same measurement of rock and carbon? And finally do I dose the same?
Thanks
if this is your first change then you change only 50% and keep 50%.
after that you change 90% of the zeolite.
when you do the change, what I have seen help is to try and keep the water inside the reactor rather than dumping it all out, also do not clean the reactor.
there are bacteria population on the inside of the reactor that will help re establish when you do the change.
finally, it will help if you do not do the carbon change and the zeolite change all at the same day. have 5 days to a week between them. meaning, change the zeolite only, and start your 10 days continues ZB dosing. after 5 days to a week from zeolite change go ahead and change the carbon.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Ok great, thank you for the help
Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Today's results
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0
Pot 370
Kh 179
Cal 490
Mag 1480
Now phos....Hanna checker .7 last week .3,
But with seachem I got .1 this week and .1 last week did several tests to make sure so I'm confused with the Hanna.

Still having flow problems as the spill over the top won't let me measure accurately.
I can get it flow at 120gph without spilling over but I need 160 so at this point it's just a guess as the spill has to effect the flow to the exit....
Old 05-03-2018, 02:16 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Today's results
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0
Pot 370
Kh 179
Cal 490
Mag 1480
Now phos....Hanna checker .7 last week .3,
But with seachem I got .1 this week and .1 last week did several tests to make sure so I'm confused with the Hanna.

Still having flow problems as the spill over the top won't let me measure accurately.
I can get it flow at 120gph without spilling over but I need 160 so at this point it's just a guess as the spill has to effect the flow to the exit....
I do not think spill will effect the flow, just think about it, the flow rate is decided by your inlet mainly. if you inlet is 100gph as an example, your outlet can only reduce the rate if you restrict the outlet. now if your outlet is wide open, you get the maximum flow possible by the capability of your inlet (basically the pump).
what am worried about is the case of you having too much flow...if you have too much flow you will zero your no3 and po4. now if your PO4 is already high, and NO3 got zero before your PO4, once that happen, your PO4 will not be reduced much when your system have zero NO3...
hope am not confusing you..
basically we need to have a balanced ratio PO4/NO3, so when they are reduced they are reduced together. having zero NO3 but high PO4 is not balanced system.
now if your PO4 is 0.4ppm that is not bad honestly, you should not look in to reducing PO4 artificially.
remember you should not shoot for zero NO3 and PO4...reef actually need some NO3/PO4 just with low values
best ratio is NO3:less than 1 (0.25 ideal), and PO4 less than 0.1(0.02 ideal)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Ok so I will measure the flow going in to the reactor and as long as I can get that right we should be good to go?
i was told to measure the amount coming out (earlier in this post).
Also any suggestions for bringing down PO4 or getting balance would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I do still not understand why you are not able to push 160 US gallons through the reactor without overflowing. Is the tube coming out of the reactor placed in any kind of a small filter camber or is the tube close to the sump button creating any kind of back pressure ?

G.Alexander
Old 05-04-2018, 06:30 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Default Overflow

No, the water rises above the top as if the spillway can dump as much water as is coming in. I've even removed the pipe. The pump is rated at 200gph so I have the valve slightly closed. Using the container method I've dialed it in using just the pump then reattached to the reactor.
If I'm missing something please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	21114  

Last edited by Kproescher; 05-04-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 05-04-2018, 12:41 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Ok so I will measure the flow going in to the reactor and as long as I can get that right we should be good to go?
i was told to measure the amount coming out (earlier in this post).
Also any suggestions for bringing down PO4 or getting balance would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
if you are measuring the flow at the input you need to measure it with the reactor hooked up. because the restrictions (resistance) the reactor will have against the flow will decrease the flow. that's why I said earlier you will need a flow meter if you want to measure at the input.
there are many cheapo flow meters I used to use in the past from hardware stores, just get one built for water application, hook it up to the input then connect the reactor. take the reading, then you can keep it or remove it if you do not trust the flow meter for any reason.
I remember having a flow meter that cost me 20$ or so,.