zeovit.com Vertex  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Trying to lower Phosphate
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: Today
Replies: 21
Views: 409
0 New Zeovit Tank Start~
Last Post: sunho2002
Replies: 11
Views: 425
0 New to zeovit
Last Post: jacky
Replies: 53
Views: 1,972
0 Finally ready to start :)
Last Post: jackass
Replies: 103
Views: 6,509
0 Eheim Pump Outlet Question
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 1
Views: 43
0 Brown Water and Nano
Replies: 13
Views: 486
0 Auto-dosing ZEOstart - a question
Replies: 15
Views: 1,816
0 switching to zeo system possibly
Replies: 113
Views: 5,374
0 The Island Reef
Last Post: steph_69
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 148
Views: 24,087
0 reef tank steph_69
Last Post: steph_69
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 213
Views: 23,781
More...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Spike in NO3:PO4

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 100 US Gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 100 US Gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique CO2 scrubber
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) No - removed GFO reactor when beginning ZEO
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) Reef Octopus Classic 150INT 198GPH - switching to Skimz Monzter SM162 External 780LPH later next week
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4: 6 NO3 20
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels CA 450, ALK 8, Mg 1340
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) ZEOvit Magnetic Reactor (2L)
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Current USA Marine Pro LED 92 Watt, one year old. Switching to Maxspect Recurve 120 LED 320 Watt this weekend.
12. What corals do you keep 8 zoas, 2 LPS and 2 SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Zoas and LPS are vibrant, SPS is dark
14. How long has the tank been running 1 year
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system for stability and I'd like to grow more SPS
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) 2 part as needed. Not enough to use a doser yet.
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 40lbs dry Pukani, 1 year old and 3 lbs Marinepure in sump, 1 year old
18. Any present problems Spike in NO4 and PO3 this week.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) some algae growth on rock work. Film algae on glass and sand has reduced.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)Red Sea for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, calcium and magnesium. Hanna checker for Alkalinity and Phosphate low range. Milwaukee for salinity.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) ZEOvit 1 liter 6 -
8 weeks, ZEObak 4drops 3x weekly, ZEOfood 4 drops 3x weekly, ZEOstart .8ml daily.

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity 1.026, PH 8.1, temp 78.6
23. Which salt brand do you use - Red Sea blue bucket for the past 3 months. Before that Instant Ocean.

I began the ZEO system 3 weeks ago. This past week I moved from daily dosing of ZEObac and ZEOfood to 3 times per week. My NO4 and PO3 readings since I started the ZEO system have read 0 and 10 respectively. Now tonight I have a reading of 6 and 20. Should I be seeing a spike like this? Should I return to dosing daily?

For 9 months I didn't see much growth in my corals at all and couldn't get Chaeto to grow so decided to switch to a salt more in line with ideal perimeters and that had trace elements. In the last couple of months I've seen much better growth and the corals are looking much healthier, but still the Chaeto would not grow. My system doesn't use enough CA and ALK to dose yet but I would like to add many more corals, both SPS and LPS but would like a stable system first.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:34 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi karo25

The reason for the increase of PO4 is that you have removed all the PO4 absorber which has controlled PO4 before in your system at once while starting ZeoVit. ZeoVit is a bacterial driven system which needs time to establish before it does process nutrients as expected. When you switch from PO4 absorbers to ZeoVit it is always better to start ZeoVit, and than start to remove the PO4 absorber slowly step by step over a couple of weeks.

Can you please clarify about the PO4 level you have posted, is that 6 mg ?

Please also measure the zeovit reactor flow and post the result. This can be done easy by collecting the water from the outlet for 30 seconds with a small container. Then multiply the water volume of it with 120 and you will get the exact output per hour. Do you run the reactor with continuous flow or do you use the on / off interval ?

At the moment stop to dose ZeoFood, it will just improve algae growth in conjunction with the elevated nutrients.

G.Alexander
Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 AM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks Alexander!
The PO4 is in a measurement of 6 ppb. As for the zeovit reactor, I have been running it continuously. It wasn't until I read the forums here that I realized it was supposed to be intermittent. I missed that in the instructions. The water flow through the reactor is 220 gph.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo25 View Post
Thanks Alexander!
The PO4 is in a measurement of 6 ppb. As for the zeovit reactor, I have been running it continuously. It wasn't until I read the forums here that I realized it was supposed to be intermittent. I missed that in the instructions. The water flow through the reactor is 220 gph.
If the measurments is ppb, that's very good range. You do not wsnt your po4 to actually be 0. Are you sure its 6ppb? What kit did you use?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hanna ULR phosphate checker. The face reads 6.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:18 AM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Yes I see now. So it's 0.006 ppm. I'm used to using Hanna's PPM Phosphate checker and switched a couple months back to the ULR checker. So really not a spike in PO4. Thanks for pointing that out! So more or less just dealing with a spike in NO3 which isn't all that unusual for this tank.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

You need Anaerobic bacteria to get rid of the nitrate. So adding live rock to the system is pretty much the way to go. DO you have any room in the sump. Would you be willing to hook up another sump perhaps a brute 44 gallon bin fuil of live rock
Old 03-03-2018, 05:23 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Unfortunately I am very limited on space in the sump and the room the tank is in.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

For a total net water volume of 100 US gallons I recommend to use 1 liter ZeoVit with a water flow of ~ 100 US gallons per hour through the reactor. The flow at the moment is to high and might experience issues with the corals after some time.

G.Alexander
Old 03-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Then I recommend returning some fish to the fish store. Or using bio pellets because they work better then zeovit alone. You could try spiorax or marine pure blocks aswell
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Then I recommend returning some fish to the fish store. Or using bio pellets because they work better then zeovit alone. You could try spiorax or marine pure blocks aswell
if you are using zeovit I would highly recommend against marine pure, it will leach all type of stuff and will cause NO3/PO4 in the future.
same for bio pellet, I have rarely seen success with mixing zeo and bio pellet. stick to the zeo system and be patience, we can treat each issue appropriately.
how much rocks you have?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

40 lbs of Pukani which I understand is very light in weight but extremely porous.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Last edited by karo25; 03-05-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Picture did not post
Old 03-05-2018, 07:48 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前線上
ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karo25 View Post
Thia should be enough honestly. You just need to wait for the system to be established. How old is the system? Did you start with zeo from the start? Did you do 14 days cycle and followed it to the letter?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 PM
karo25 karo25 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

That full tank image is prior to any algae issues. Unfortunately the tank is dark now so cannot get a full image. This picture was taken about a week ago and shows some the algae on the tops of the rocks. Most of the algae that was forming on the sand daily is gone as well as the film algae on the glass. Where I was having to clean daily I'm now going almost a week before it needs cleaned.

Last edited by karo25; 03-05-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Image too large.