zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Euphyllia and lps aminoacid
Last Post: Willow84
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 5
0 High Phosphates on new Zeovit system!
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 9
Views: 192
0 100g SPS Tank
Replies: 3
Views: 128
0 GIVEAWAY: Bashsea Smart Series Sump Review
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 1
Views: 194
0 200 gallon switch to Zeovit
Replies: 67
Views: 3,592
0 Considering switching from FM to Zeo
Last Post: jacky
Posted On: 09-19-2018
Replies: 6
Views: 208
0 moving from aF back to Zoevit
Replies: 16
Views: 453
0 Mein Zeobecken
Replies: 50
Views: 2,576
0 Sale & Clearance: Aquatrance, Sedra, & MORE!
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: 09-18-2018
Replies: 0
Views: 55
0 The Island Reef
Last Post: PmRg
Posted On: 09-18-2018
Replies: 158
Views: 27,406
More...

Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
TonapahNorth TonapahNorth 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Struggling On

So I started this tank almost a year ago almost to the day. It has been a fun process. It's not my first tank but it is my first attempt at the Zeo system. I have been solidly struggling for a year and am not willing to give up. This tank has started using zeo and i hope to continue. The system is the same as when I started as far as equipment.

Here is a recap of my system.

Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. 240gallons - Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
2. 212gallons - after rock and sand Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
3. No - intending to 2 part dose - Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique
4. No - Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
5. No - Are you using Ozone
6. Are you using UV? - NO but i have considered it - i'm lost on how to get this going in the right direction.
7. Vertex Alpha 200 - What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels? .16 on Hannah UL checker for phospate and about 6 nitrate. I have not tested in a month. I'm afraid but I will update as soon as I test it if you feel it is necessary.
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels? Ca - 450, Mg - 1340, Alk - about 7; i test these often and they are good. I do 2% water change daily on an auto water changing system.
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - none now but i tried running chaeto for a while but it died off)
11. ATI Powermodule - 3 LED and 8 bulbs - Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) - Blue Plus and Coral Plus - moon lights all night; no sump light anymore since chaeto died; and lights ramp up around 730 am and down around 530 pm.
12. What corals do you keep? duncan, acans, paly, zoa, sps, mone, favias, chalice, 2 anemone, goniapora, sps are largely unsuccessful but some grow. Acans are gorgeous but not as bright as I expect. they are large and growing well. Montis have not done well. They did well for a while but have deteriorated.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) - dark on the SPS, acans and paly and zoa all stay lighter but not exhibiting the color i expect.
14. How long has the tank been running - 1 year
15. ULNS seems successful - Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - no
17. About 120 pounds ReefRock 2 dry - Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)
18. Any present problems - water has always been cloudy
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - I dont think i am actually running ULN - I range from cloudy white water to cloudy green water. algae growing on the glass as a fine film to none when the water is cloudy white.
20. Hannah Checkers - What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.); i stopped dosing most items pared it back to the basics: Daily: 1.2ml of Start in two doses half in the morning and half in the afternoon; 6 drops of SpongePower; 6 drops of SPS amino; 2 mL of LPS Amino; every other day i dose 6 drops of Bak; I dose 4mL of Coral Snow daily in the evening after cleaning the glass and lights go down.
22. 35 is my salinity; temp is steady at 78 deg F, Ph ranges from 8.1 to 8.5 - Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)
23. HW Marine Pro - Which salt brand do you use

Like I said, its been a struggle at best and the tank has not lived up to my hopes. I am sure I am doing something wrong and I'm dedicated to getting it right and hope you can help me.

As I stated above, the tank water has never been clear. It ranges from cloudy white (which I understand is an over abundance of bacteria) to a cloudy green (which is the opposite). I cannot seem to dial it in. Can we start there and help me out. please?

Thanks
Tonapah
Old 02-28-2018, 03:27 PM
ZEOhead in Training

I forgot to mention that I use zeo stones. I change out 20% every other month on the 10th and run the flow at about 150gph. I mix it daily (manual plunger) about a dozen times. I have had issues with film (kind of gray ish substance covering the live rock).

I also use ZeoCarbon and change about a baseball sized amount out every month on the 25th of each month. I try to pulp it daily but I dont alway remember. it is just sitting in a panty hose sock in the sump near a high flow area.

I have about 20 trochus snails, about 30 cerith snails, maybe a few astrea turbo

I have a purple tang, desjardini sailfin tang, flasher wrasse, 2 clowns, diamond goby, 3 anthias, midas blenny, female leopard wrasse. I add copepods monthly.

Daily feeding: about a tsp of reef roids daily, a cube of PE Mysis, a cube of Calanus, a cube sized piece of LRS Reef Frenzy, and 2x daily a single rotation of auto feeder pellets (dime sized amount). I will say maybe i feed too much but I try to spot feed the corals I actually have alive.

filter socks get changes about every 3-5 days
Old 03-01-2018, 04:14 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Not sure how much Zeovit you have running but for your system size it should be 2 liters with a water flow of ~ 210 US gallons per hour.

Also run 0.8 liters Korallenzucht activated carbon passive flown in the sump.

Lets change the dosage as follows:

ZeoStart – 0.8 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower – 8 drops every other day
ZeoBac – 8 drops 2 x weekly
CoralSnow – 16 ml 2 x weekly pure

Stop dosing the rest of the products you use for some time.

Please post a update in about 2 weeks.

G.Alexander
Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Spacetime Spacetime 目前離線
ZEOhead

You only change 20% of the stones every 2 months?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Not sure how much Zeovit you have running but for your system size it should be 2 liters with a water flow of ~ 210 US gallons per hour.

Also run 0.8 liters Korallenzucht activated carbon passive flown in the sump.

Lets change the dosage as follows:

ZeoStart 0.8 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower 8 drops every other day
ZeoBac 8 drops 2 x weekly
CoralSnow 16 ml 2 x weekly pure

Stop dosing the rest of the products you use for some time.

Please post a update in about 2 weeks.

G.Alexander
Thank you. Will do.

I run 2 liters of ZeoLites and yes, I change only about 20% bi monthly.

I run much less carbon than that but I will up it to .8L and just place it in the sump.

I will change the dosing as suggested and post in 2 weeks at a minimum.
G Alex, when you say 16mL of Snow "2 x weekly pure"? what do you mean exactly? dose 16mL exactly on 2 different days of a week?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 AM
ZEOadmin

It is recommended to replace 90% of the material every 6 – 8 weeks depending to the nutrient situation and corals coloration.

Because of CoralSnow I was referring to dosing 16 ml pure (without mixing it with other products) 2 x weekly that would be 32 ml complete per week so the double dosage than usual.

G.Alexander
Old 03-02-2018, 08:15 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
It is recommended to replace 90% of the material every 6 8 weeks depending to the nutrient situation and corals coloration.

Because of CoralSnow I was referring to dosing 16 ml pure (without mixing it with other products) 2 x weekly that would be 32 ml complete per week so the double dosage than usual.

G.Alexander
Excellent. I don't know how I got to the 20% figure. I will change 90% from here on out on my normal rotation. Thanks. This is why I'm here. Ive got to get this working right. Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 06:58 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
It is recommended to replace 90% of the material every 6 8 weeks depending to the nutrient situation and corals coloration.

G.Alexander
Alex, am wondering whats the reqsom you advice pure cs dosing and not mixing it with other products? Is there and pros and cons for dosong cs alone or with products? Other than tje benefits of cs mixing with zb and cc ofcourse
Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 AM
ZEOadmin

As the water is cloudy and algae growing in the system I see CoralSnow more as a treatment to remove unwanted substances instead as a carrier for elements to nourish the corals. Personally I always dosed it pure as I have not observed any positive response from the corals while mixing it with the coloration elements.

G.Alexander
Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Quote:
As the water is cloudy and algae growing in the system I see CoralSnow more as a treatment to remove unwanted substances instead as a carrier for elements to nourish the corals. Personally I always dosed it pure as I have not observed any positive response from the corals while mixing it with the coloration elements.

G.Alexander
very insightful thank you alex.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 AM
ZEOhead in Training

So the tank is clearing up very well. I can actually see the back wall of the tank now for the first time in 60+ days. There is a good bit of algae growing on the back glass which I will manually remove today.

The film on the glass grows daily as a light green “powdery” film. I consider this as progress.

I have some nuisance algae growing for sure which is frustrating as I have worked hard to keep Aiptasia and bubble algae out of the tank with a quarantine system. Sadly, I have both. grrr
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM
ZEOadmin

Thank you for your update and glad to hear the water slowly clears up. I have personally never understood the argument of using dry rocks to keep pests out of the system, they will come sooner or later. It is just important to start fighting against it in a very early stage.

G.Alexander
Old 03-09-2018, 01:29 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Thank you for your update and glad to hear the water slowly clears up. I have personally never understood the argument of using dry rocks to keep pests out of the system, they will come sooner or later. It is just important to start fighting against it in a very early stage.

G.Alexander
For sure, I have battled these things for many years. Aptasia got so bad one time that I took a break from the hobby for a few years. I am working already on this tank to eradicate it: aptasia X and nudibranchs. Wish me luck.

Anyway, where do i go from here? I still have green haze on the glass daily. I'd like to get amino's (any and all trace elements) into my rotation but I just don't know how or which ones to use. I certainly don't want it going cloudy again and i'd love to get rid of any green on the glass.

Do I keep on the rotation you gave me for another week as you previously advised or do we start adjusting now?

water is no longer cloudy - which is great. I still have the green glass. Skimmer is pulling green skim mate.

Thoughts?

Tona

Last edited by TonapahNorth; 03-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 PM
ZEOadmin

If nutrients are still elevated it does not make much sense to dose additional coloration or coral nourishing elements. Can you please update the actual PO4 and NO3 level ?

I had also issues with aiptasia in my old reef, a adult navarchus angel has fixed this very quick. I had the luck that it was one of the kind which has not touched the corals which is not always the same.

Please post a list of all korallenzucht products you already have and a update of your actual dosing regimen.

Can you please also measure the flow through your ZeoVit reactor and post the result ? Collect the water from the reactor outlet for 30 seconds and multiply its volume by 120.

G.Alexander
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Will do. I will post these things tomorrow or late this evening.

Tona