zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Newbie: Limited sump space
Last Post: blackizzz
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 44
0 new to zeovit
Last Post: Kproescher
Replies: 11
Views: 601
0 I have problem with this
Last Post: alireza
Replies: 1
Views: 30
0 Zeovit 14 day cycle, new guidelines?
Last Post: blackizzz
Replies: 0
Views: 37
0 Planning Things Out
Last Post: clarity1981
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 Planning new tank - Need advice
Last Post: Bugger
Replies: 23
Views: 1,152
0 BARIO too high
Last Post: Michal
Replies: 6
Views: 227
0 Doubts guide on zeovit.
Last Post: blueyedson
Replies: 24
Views: 1,324
0 Finally ready to start :)
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 48
Views: 2,152
0 new 75 gallon tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 14
Views: 670
More...
Old 03-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Patrick Cox Patrick Cox 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Potassium and Iodine Supplements

Hello,
I just completed a Triton test and both my Potassium and Iodine were low. Potassium was 354 and Iodine was 0. Potassium reference was 400 and Iodine reference was 60. They suggested I dose both.

I was consider K Balance and then one of the Iodide products but I am not sure which one to choose.

They also found my boron to be low but I don't know if that is as important. Boron level was 2.93 vs a reference of 4.5.

I am running a 90 net gallon primarily SPS tank with only weekly 9% water changes, 2 part dosing and a strong skimmer. No other dosing.

Thanks for suggestions on KZ products for these conditions.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Checking iodine in saltwater is not really easy as the element is not very stabile so I would recommend to dose this element depending to the look of the corals. You can use Potassium Iodine Fluoride or Iodine Komplex, most use Potassium Iodine Fluoride.

The K+ level should be ~ 380 mg, you can use K-Balance Strong for example to slowly increase the level.

G.Alexander
Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Alex, what look indicators do you follow to dose Iodine and Potassium?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 AM
ZEOadmin

Basically I have used the parameters described in the PDF guide:

Iodine:

Quote:
The addition of this supplement leads to improved blue colors in SPS. In contrast to PVP iodide or Lugols Iodide solution, there is no tissue darkening as long as the amount is appropriate. As a starting dose we recommend to dose 1 drop per 25 gallons, however the dosing amount and interval should be adjusted to your tank. A very good indicator for dosing is yellow coral. If your yellow corals display a green shimmer, it is an indicator of over dosage of this product (or iron concentrate). When this happen, we recommend that dosing be ceased until coral colors become intense yellow again. With blue acropora, dosing should be done when colors become less intense. In most cases, dosing twice weekly at a rate of 1 drop per 100 liters should be sufficient. This supplement can also be used in tanks not using the ZEOvit method.
Potassium:

Quote:
Montipora, especially plating types, display slower growth and appear washed out to grey. Latent potassium deficiency may also lead to tissue loss, spreading from one or more spots. Stylophora and Pocillopora appear as if they have been exposed to air for a long period of time. Polyps are completely withdrawn and colors are light and without depth. Seriatopora may completely loose all tissue, starting from the base, within only a few days. The pink coloration may turn into a light brown. Acropora may loose their color and get lighter and pale. Growth stops completely. If the potassium deficiency continues tissue is lost, mostly starting from the base. Tubinaria Reniformis stops growth completely and withers away.
G.Alexander
Old 03-23-2018, 02:26 PM
ohashimz ohashimz 目前離線
ZEOhead

Thank you Alex, super helpful. Do you depend on the zeo guide for these descriptions?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 PM
ZEOadmin

As I have written it long ago I do, some things are not actual anymore but the description for the dosage and which changes are created by each product have not changed.

G.Alexander