zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Last Post: johntekin
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 Zeovit 14 days cycle red sea reefer 250
Last Post: behague0104
Replies: 20
Views: 864
0 New sps tank
Last Post: chrisevich
Replies: 25
Views: 549
0 New guy here looking for help
Last Post: mike1970
Replies: 34
Views: 1,422
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Last Post: arringar
Replies: 48
Views: 2,559
0 my new thank....
Last Post: blueyedson
Replies: 102
Views: 5,941
0 Converting a 1 yr old tank to Zeovit
Last Post: Vincentwangz
Replies: 16
Views: 711
0 Help starting ZEOvit on an established tank
Last Post: Minichou
Replies: 41
Views: 1,462
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: chercm
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 215
Views: 8,145
0 Help Needed
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 11
Views: 424
More...

Old 08-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Default Help starting ZEOvit on an established tank

Hi,
I have an established tank and need help on how to start the ZEOvit system. My goal is to reduce nutrients - nitrates in particular. Here is info on my existing system:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 67 gallons
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 60 gallons
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique No
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Yes, running BRS media reactor with a mix of 1/3 BRS GFO and 2/3 BRS ROX carbon
5. Are you using Ozone No
6. Are you using UV No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1 rated for 90-175 gallons tank
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4=0.0 ppm, NO3=3 ppm
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca=405 ppm, All=8.74 dKH, Mg=1320 ppm
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) 2"-3" sand bed in display tank, in sump - filter floss (replaced once per week), 2 gallon fuge with cheato and two 8"x8"X1" marine pure blocks,
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) ATI Sunpower 36" with 4 T5 bulbs and Nanobox LED hybrid fixture
12. What corals do you keep At the moment mostly just LPS and softies. I would like to better keep SPS corals but I've been struggling with nitrate spikes (as high as 40 ppm). I've done a series of large water changes over the course of a week to reduce my nitrates.
13. Tissue color (light or dark) Maybe a little on the darker side
14. How long has the tank been running 1 year
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system Reduce nutrients - nitrates in particular
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) I have an auto-doser that doses 65 ml each of BRS Alk (sodium carbonate) and Ca (calcium chloride) daily, and 10 ml of BRS magnesium mix daily.
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) Yes, 65 lbs of live rock
18. Any present problems Would like a more effective way of keeping nitrates low
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) SPS corals and chalices have a low survival rate in my tank
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Hanna checker for Alk, Red Sea for Ca and Mg, and API for nitrates. Although I recently bought a Red Sea nitrate test kit since the API kinda sucks.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) None
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) Salinity=1.025, temp=79-80 degrees Fahrenheit
23. Which salt brand do you use Natural sea water. I live near the ocean, and there is an oceanography facility that offers natural sea water from the ocean for reef hobbyist. It is a pipe that goes out about 500 feet from shore and 30' below the ocean's surface. Nitrates and phosphates are at near zero, Alk=6.83 dKH, Ca=390 ppm, Mg=1220 ppm. Before use, I dose the NSW to Alk=9.5dKH, Ca=430 ppm, and Mg=1350 ppm.

I do 10% water changes every week. I have limited space in my sump for a Zeo reactor, so I'm looking to start by placing the Zeovit stones in a mesh bag and putting it in between the skimmer chamber and return pump chamber. I should be able to shake the stones filled mesh bag daily while keeping the mesh bag submerged. I was also going to place the Zeo carbon bag in the same spot next to it. In the future I may add a Zeo reactor where I will use my main pump to drive it (I have an Ecotech Vectra M1 for my pump). As such, I will not be able to do the 3 hrs on and 3 hrs off for the Zeo stones as the guide recommends.

Any advice on how I should get started will be much appreciated! Thanks,
Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Minichu

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 0.5 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 55 US gallons per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Alternatively place the same quantity in a mash bag and place it in your sump as described moving the material daily for cleaning. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks. Running the material in a reactor makes the system much more effective to process nutrients.

2. Place 0.2 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 2 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 2 drops. Dose 0.2 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 – 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

Not sure about the NO3 swings you have mention, it is unusual and maybe just a wrong result from your test kit ?

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 AM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks G Alexander for the quick reply. Should I replace my ROX carbon with the KZ carbon in full starting on day one? My GFO is mixed with my ROX carbon so should I replace this with GFO only in the media reactor - thus allowing me to remove all the ROX carbon while slowly reducing the GFO step by step as you recommended? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

How about Zeofood? Is this supplement not necessary when starting up the Zeo system on an established tank?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 PM
ZEOadmin

I have never used the ROX carbon but this thread might be helpful:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28332

You can use ZeoFood later to fine tune coral coloration once the system runs nutrient poor stabile and you corals start to get lighter tissue.

G.Alexander
Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 AM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

If it is recommended to knead the carbon bag every day, why not run the carbon in a media reactor? Why the passive flow?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Perhaps a more specific question is if you can place the carbon in a media reactor in front of the Zeo reactor. So a pump would feed the carbon filled media reactor, and the output of the media reactor would then be the input feed for the Zeo reactor. Would this work? If so, would you need to reduce the amount of carbon used and how would that be calculated?
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM
ZEOadmin

If you use active flow from the beginning the carbon will work more effective which will create additional changes. Especially at the beginning it is important to keep the changes as slow as possible. If you like to run the carbon actively flown in a reactor or if you put it in a media bag on the top of the zeovit material reduce the quantity to 50% and replace it every 3 weeks.

G.Alexander
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Awesome! My goal is to reduce the daily maintenance of running a ZEOvit system. I'm also looking to dilute the ZeoStart (using boiled RODI water, etc) for my dosing pump and I want to take care of the daily kneading of the carbon.

To clarify, are you stating that if I cut my carbon quantity to 50% and place the carbon mesh bag directly on top of the Zeo stones of a Zeo Reactor that I won't need to knead the bag daily since the daily pumping of the Zeo stones would take of that? This would also force he mulm through the carbon bag which I assume is a non-issue?

Another question, I plan to dose my ZeoStart in my sump where the tank's return pipe enters. This will go through my filter floss before coming to the Zeo reactor. Would this be an issue for the ZeoStart?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very new to the Zeovit system and I don't know how sensitive the guidelines are.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 PM
ZEOadmin

It is better to knead the carbon regular if you run it in a filter bag even if you place it on the top of the zeovit material in the reactor however every other day should be fine. You can add ZeoStart where you have planned to, it is OK.

G.Alexander
Old 08-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

So is the whole point of running carbon inside of the Zeo reactor is to reduce cost by running less carbon?

My goal was find a way to not need to knead the carbon on a regular basis. Are there any alternatives?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 PM
ZEOadmin

You can run the carbon in a separate filter, several manufacturers offer such filters for PO4 absorbers also. In this kind of filter the carbon does float so kneading is not necessary. As mention before in the first couple of weeks I would recommend to use a mash bag placing it in the sump, later you can use a reactor if you like to.

G.Alexander
Old 08-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Alright, my Zeo reactor finally arrived. The reactor will be driven off of my return pump. My plan is to re-use the return pump plumbing that is driving my media reactor for this Zeo reactor. I am currently running GFO in this reactor and I'm still reducing my GFO weekly over the course of 6-8 weeks as suggested . Here are my options today:

1) Use the output tube from my GFO reactor as the input to drive my Zeo reactor. When I've reduced my GFO to almost zero, the media reactor will be removed completely (I just completed week 1 of starting my ZEOvit system)

2) Remove the GFO and media reactor completely and drive the Zeo reactor directly off of the return pump. I could keep move the GFO to a separate a mesh bag if that would help.

3) Keep my Zeo stones in a mesh bag until I've reduce my GFO to almost zero and am able to remove the media reactor, prior to adding the Zeo reactor. This will be about 4-5 weeks from today.

Which option would you recommend that I proceed with? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:33 AM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Minichou Minichou 目前線上
ZEOhead in Training

I went with Option 2, replaced my media reactor with the Zeo reactor. I put the GFO in a mesh bag and will continue to reduce in the coming weeks. Since my Zeo reactor is driven by my return pump I won't be able to do the 3 hrs on/off - hopefully that will be fine.