zeovit.com Avast Marine Works  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 System Re-Start with Zeovit
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 40
Views: 1,943
0 A.li's zeovit thread
Replies: 23
Views: 1,936
0 Advices for futur zeovit system
Replies: 3
Views: 72
0 *HELP* CB Overdose!
Last Post: Michal
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 13
Views: 357
0 Help starting ZEOvit on an established tank
Replies: 61
Views: 2,958
0 Skimmer pumps failed need advice
Replies: 1
Views: 56
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Replies: 59
Views: 3,398
0 New sps tank
Replies: 104
Views: 4,058
0 Add zeolite to existing tank
Replies: 37
Views: 2,606
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: Mallard
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 3
Views: 144
More...

Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM
detective_colombo detective_colombo 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Conversion to Zeo from Bio-Pellets

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but not new to reefing.
So I am looking to convert as title says.
Thanks in advance.
Info below:

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litre - 160L + 30L sump (approx)
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litre - Approx 150L
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - Kalk
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - Yes - mini reactor containing PhosGuard in constant use
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV- No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Deltec SC1350 massively overpowered but skimming good.
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 = 0.035 (hanna phosphorous) NO3 = <1ppm
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Mg = will test later, Calcium = unk (dodgy test kits), Alkalinity =8dkh
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Bio-Pellets
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Orphek Altantik v3 LED
12. What corals do you keep - LPS with 'nems
13. Tissue color (light or dark)- Mid to dark colouration
14. How long has the tank been running - 18 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system - Primarily for it's ULNS capabilities in order to significantly reduce nuisance algaes inc Cyano, but also the colouration this brings to corals.
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) - None
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) - Not sure how much, definitely a normal amount for my size of tank... I've had it about 4 years.
18. Any present problems - Cyano, little bit of hair algae, difficulty controlling phosphate.
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - Bio-pellet introduction about 6 months ago reduced nutrients and saw off GHA but immediate cyano took effect.
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - hanna ULR PO4, Saliferts everything else. Cant seem to find a calcium one with a reliable reading (think i have put it down to accidently having them next to radiator)
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)- None, looking for advise.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - dkh stable at between 8.9-9.1, Salinity 1.025, temp approx 25C
23. Which salt brand do you use? Aquaforest
Old 07-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Fishman Steve Fishman Steve 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Not to burst ur hopes.... but i leaned away from a zeo reactor back to GFO and if needed, a bio pellet reactor maybe in the future. I do dose other zeo products currently.

From my research, and i don't have any bio-pellet experiences (one of the reasons i held off from getting it), but i do with zeo. Bio pellets are just another form of carbon dosing. Zeo-vit is also a form of carbon dosing. And thru my experience, a ULNS wont eliminate cyano. It can also foster the condition of promoting it also- I could be wrong? My LFS mentioned that with a ulns, your always on the brink of balancing ur tank and a ultra clean system can promote cyano.

What i know is cyano is a bacteria and with zeovit, adding chemical solutions wont be the best alternative. A lot of users constantly fight algae and cyano with zeo...

i just dont want u to think zeo & ulns will rid u of cyano-algae head aches.
Quit the opposite :-)

Good luck
S
Old 07-22-2016, 03:15 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi detective colombo

First of all I would recommend to download the dosing guide from:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf

It contains a lot of useful information and will be helpful to get a feeling for the dosage.

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 0.375 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 150 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.15 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 2 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 x weekly dosage of 2 drops. Dose 0.15 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

To treat the cyanos it might make sense do dose a mixture of Coral Snow and Cyano clean (3 ml CS and 2 drops CC) daily for some time.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 – 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Same procedure with the Pellets, remove 50% of them when you start with ZeoVit and reduce the rest step by step over the next 4 weeks to zero.

Would recommend you to use a different method to add KH and Ca to your system instead of kalkwasser:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=5

With the already low nutrient concentrations you should have corals with lighter tissue as you mention yours are dark. This can also have something to do with the lighting spectrum. Can not really help you here as I never used LED.

Try to adjust slowly and keep the basic water parameters as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 07-23-2016, 02:50 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks so much.
I'll consider my options with regard kalk.
Magnesium is testing 1320, Ca 460 (untrustworthy kit).
Spectrum now changed on the lights - they have been on reasonably low light, to be fair, for a while to get used to the new LEDs. Now ramping it up with more blue.
Will check out Coral Snow and Cyano Clean, thanks. And a K test.
Should I not dose ZeoFood? Sorry if I missed this in your post ...

Steve,
I agree, it may not be a magic cure but I think it will be a step in the right direction...

Thanks again
Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 AM
ZEOadmin

You can use ZeoFood later once if the system runs nutrient poor to improve coral coloration.

G.Alexander
Old 10-14-2016, 06:36 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi,
I figured I would update with my progress and pose a couple of questions since I have my first lot of SPS arriving next week.

New parameters:
Salinity 34ppt
dKh 6.5~7.0 stable
Ca still testing high 450ppm but haven't got a new kit yet
Mg 1320ppm
K+ 400ppm
NO3 0.0~0.1ppm
PO4 0.018ppm (Hannah ULR)

I have since changed over to balling method rather than kalk and find it much easier keeping things steady.
Observations show massive improvement in PE and colouration so all going well on this front.
On the cyano:
I have changed all of my sand as it was a very fine sand and I feared it might be contributing to the cyano somehow. I have since put in a heavier aragonite.
I have been using coral snow + cyano clean for probably 3 weeks now.
I also for the past week have 'over-dosed' on ZeoStart intentionally. Please let me explain my reasoning... I believed my system to be Nitrate limited in it's export of nutrients. By that I mean there was always detectable phosphates, anywhere between 0.03~0.05 but always undetectable NO3. Being of the understand that cyano tends to be fuelled by PO4, I set about trying to reduce this. I have read that ZS contains NO3 and so my theory has been that increasing carbon + NO3 will drive PO4 down. That together with the change of substrate has driven down my PO4 to 0.018 and cyano has 95% disappeared with extremely limited growth. I will continue to monitor PO4 and Nitrate and aim to get back to standardised dosing amounts.

Current dosing:
ZeoBak 2 drops twice weekly
ZeoStart 0.2ml twice daily
CoralSnow 3ml + CyanoClean 3-4 drops daily.

My questions are:
I would really like some opinions on the ZeoStart theory for starters...
Also I intend to get some more products... Amino Acid High Concentrate, Pohl's Xtra, SpongePower, Coral Vitalizer. Do I need these for the SPS right away, or will they be fine without for the time being? How do I go about introducing them, all at once / one at a time? Also, ought I be careful with any of them what with the cyano lurking in the background just waiting to catch me unawares!?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 AM
ZEOadmin

Really hard to say, cyanos can be so different however I thing with your additional ZeoStart dosage you just have increased bacteria growth which might have limited access for the cyanos to the substrate, anyways it can also be a result of the sand replacement.

I would try to slowly decrease ZeoStart to 0.15 ml 2 x daily step by step again if the cyanos have gone completely. 0.2 ml for your system size does not cause issues but it does not make sense to dose more than necessary for the future.

The additional products you get are usually dosed depending to the look of the corals, if your corals are growing well showing good coloration you might dose them as follows each 2 x weekly if possible on alternate days:

AAHC – 2 drops 2 x weekly
XTra – 1.5 ml 2 – 3 x weekly
CV – 3 drops 2 x weekly
SpongePower – 1 drop every other day

I would not start dosing them all at once which makes it difficult to get a feeling for the changes each product does cause, a good start might be SpongePower together with XTra.

While still having cyanos I would recommend to hold dosing those products until they have gone completely.

If you experience any kind of a brown film on sand / rocks just cut back on dosing AAHC and XTra for a while.

G.Alexander
Old 10-15-2016, 10:31 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Alexander,
I agree. It could simply be the sand change, the continual dosing of CS + CC, the increased ZS or a combination of any of these. Is I will bring the dosage down, I was just curious also if my theory was sound.
I have ordered SP, Xtra and BioMate so will dose these as directed. Will wait til the Cyano has stayed clear for a couple of weeks to dose the SP and Xtra but will dose BioMate now.
I will keep this thread updated with my progress

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:47 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G.Alexander,
So my cyano is back! I fed heavily for a couple of days, not really thinking too much about it (feeding anemones at the same time). And the cyano growth kicked on a bit. Nutrients are back down again, from 0.10 to 0.01 phosphate and cyano spread seems to have halted for now.
Do you mind helping me with what would be the advised dosing regimen all the time cyano is present & then there-after?
Currently I have ZeoBak, Bio-Mate, CyanoClean, CoralSnow, Xtra, SpongePower, ZeoFood.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:02 AM
ZEOadmin

While the cyanos are there I would recommend to dose as follows including the treatment:

ZeoBac – 2 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart – 0.15 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower – 2 drops every other day

Mix 3 ml Coral Snow and 3 drops CyanoClean and dose this mixture once daily additional.

Once the cyanos have gone I would recommend to continue dosing as follows:

ZeoBac – 2 drops 2 x weekly
ZeoStart – 0.15 ml 2 x daily
SpongePower – 2 drops every other day
Coral Snow – 2 ml 2 x weekly
CyanoClean – 3 drops 1 x weekly

and if necessary 2 drops ZeoFood 1 – 2 x weekly additional to improve coral coloration.

G.Alexander
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Thanks for the reply.
Should I not use Bio-Mate then for the time being? Or Xtra? Just double checking..
Old 10-24-2016, 03:25 AM
ZEOadmin

You can use BioMate additional @ 3 drops 2 x weekly if you like even if the cyanos are there. XTra can be used if the cyanos have gone completely @ 1.5 ml 2 x weekly if nutrients are stabile low and if corals tissue is to light.

G.Alexander
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Hi,
I am experiencing a couple of issues.
A. A continual but entirely manageable growth of hair algae; it is just annoying and unsightly more than anything. Should I be expecting no algae growth any time soon?
B. Slowed growth in all coral. I changed my light settings, lowering the instensity to 70% from 90% but extended the daylight hours by two hours. The spectrum would have also changed during this time. Is it possible this has adversely affected it or could the coral be acclimating to the new schedule?
C. Light colouration in my Green Flouro Plating Acro.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litre - 160L + 30L sump (approx)
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / litre - Approx 150L
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique - Balling
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) - No
5. Are you using Ozone - No
6. Are you using UV- No
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume) - Deltec SC1350 massively overpowered but skimming good.
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels - PO4 = 0.003 - 0.035 (hanna ULR) NO3 = <1ppm
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels - Mg = Ca 430, 7dKH, Mg 1410
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) - Only ZeoVit
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) Orphek Altantik v3 LED
12. What corals do you keep - LPS, nems and SPS
13. Tissue color (light or dark)- Explained in issues above
14. How long has the tank been running - 18 months
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system -
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.) -
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) -
18. Any present problems - explained above
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) - explained above
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) - hanna ULR PO4, Saliferts everything else.
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)- ZV 375ml, ZS 0.3ml, SP 2 drops. Then ZB 2 drops 2 x weekly, BM 2 drops 2 x weekly, CC & CS 3 drops 3ml 4-5 times weekly.
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) - dkh slightly wobbled since lighting change, sitting between 6.7-8.1. Salinity 32ppt trying to bring it up.
23. Which salt brand do you use? Aquaforest

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Bugger Bugger 目前離線
ZEOdabbler

I experianced the same growth of algae. I was never able to get a handle on the problem until I switched tanks.
I'd do some water changes and try to clean out the tank by shaking rocks a using a power filter or an mp40 with floss on it.

I now use vibrant bacteria and I hardly need to clean the glass .
You'll be surprised at how much guck is in the tank and thats really the problem
Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 AM
ZEOadmin

Can you please tell me something more about the live rock you have used ?

In the first tank overview you have posted that you keep those rocks since 4 years already. Has the system had higher nutrient levels before or have you used iron based PO4 absorbers or kalkwasser in the past ?

Every spectrum change (which is not common in nature) has a impact to the corals so it can have something to do with the growth. From my experience those adoption can take up to 6 weeks while corals start to improve coloration and growth again.

G.Alexander