zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 New sps tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Today
Replies: 133
Views: 6,111
0 new 75 gallon tank
Replies: 3
Views: 74
0 algae info
Replies: 6
Views: 116
0 Presidents Day Sale - 10% OFF Storewide
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 One year with Zeovit
Last Post: Acamp
Replies: 35
Views: 4,778
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Last Post: johntekin
Replies: 79
Views: 3,495
0 Cubicus CF auf Zeovit eingew鐬nen
Last Post: chrima78
Replies: 12
Views: 850
0 Bodengrund Aragonit von Korallenzucht
Last Post: chrima78
Replies: 2
Views: 102
0 Dry rock cycle
Posted On: 02-17-2018
Replies: 6
Views: 175
0 Nutrients too low. Dosing KNO3
Last Post: cflow
Posted On: 02-17-2018
Replies: 8
Views: 289
More...
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 PM
bikedoctorr bikedoctorr 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default help and advice needed.

hi I need help with a zeo tank I'm running, ill start with the start list

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter

450ltr uk

2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter
approx.

400ltr

3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique

no

4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)
rowa, in a reactor (as band aid to zeo not reducing po4 to serious levels)

5. Are you using Ozone
no

6. Are you using UV
no

7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)

vertex omega i180.

8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels

n03 was 2.5ppm stable but I added sodium nitrate and now 25ppm
see explaination below list currently 0.1ppm

9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels
ca 400, alk maintained between 7 and 8, mg 1300

10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)

I have a very small amount of cheato growing, ARKA rock

11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)
2 x ai hydra52 hd

12. What corals do you keep

sps montipura acros and plates some lps tourchs frogspawn candycanes.

13. Tissue color (light or dark)

good

14. How long has the tank been running

8 months but 50% of arka rock come from a stable zeo system of some years

15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system

control of no3 and po4 and I love the way it feeds the corals like the lps with the mulm

16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)

I dose calcium chloride in a mix of 200g to one ltr of r/o. this is added via doser once a day at 30ml per day. maintains a stable cal level of 400

a 50/50 mix of bicarb and baked bicarb(carbonate) is added via top up water at 4 tea spoons into 12 ltrs of r/o. this maintains my kh between 7 and 8 pretty stable.

17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.)

I don't use live rock I use arka structures.

18. Any present problems

gha algee and raising po4 constantly

19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)

zeo stalling not reducing p04 at all.

20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)

n03 salifert
n04 hanna pocket tester ulr
cal salifert
mg/kh red sea pro

21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)

zeo bac 4 drops 2x a week
zeo start3 1ml per day
zeo food7 4 drops 2x a week
1ltr stones changed ever 8 weeks

22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)

25degrees 35ppt

23. Which salt brand do you use

I use natural sea water from local beach, the real stuff
Old 01-15-2018, 05:08 PM
ZEOhead in Training

so to add to above ill describe whats going on.

I run a 250 ltr tank fine on zeo for quite some time. I brought a tank secondhand that come with some stock and rock. I only used a few pieces of the live rock as it was covered in zoas and one large plate. these were only out of the water for hours on swap over and my large arka tower was also put into the new tank. this was zeo mature and the only rock I had in my old system. I also used the 250 ltrs of the original systems water to try and keep some of the zeo goodness id built up. the rst was filled with r/0 and red sea salt and some water from the original tank. some second had arka towers were also used which was soaked in r/o before use for a few weeks.

I had the normal spikes in levels for a while and raised po3 and p04 but this soon settled down. this then really come down as the zeo kicked in a few months in. in fact I hit zero p04 at one point but n03 never seam to get any lower than 2.5ppm and sits very stable at that level.

then my p04 started to rise slowly. very gradual but always a raise. I'm not one to chase numbers and as tank looked great and was getting growth I didn't worry to much about it.

I have been using sea water as water changes and these have ranged from small changes to 100 ltr changes but nothing seams to effect the rise I been getting. I even tried no changes for a month or so. the local water does have 0.04 p04 in it and no detectable nitrate.

once my p04 got to 0.5ppm I had to do something as I had a major break out of green hair algee. its over grown lots of coral frags etc. this is when I had to reinstate the rowa phos in a reactor. I'm currently using 300g and its pulls it down to 0 on the hanner checker although this is not a true reading due to the gha. this only lasts a week before it starts to rise again. I suspect some of the secondhand arka rock I got is leaching phos.

I only feed two small pinches of flake a day and this is all gone within 30 secs or less. everynow and then they also get some nori.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 PM
ZEOhead in Training

tank has been running 8 months now.

I don't run carbon in a reactor but do put some in a bag from time to time but not always.

I do have a 3" regal tang, two yellow tangs, a small 3" salifin tang, fire angel, coral beauty, orange spot goby, pair of clowns, 4 blue chromis, a magnificent foxface, large serpent star fish, a urchin, a sand sifting starfish, narrisis snails, 50 odd hermits, 30 snails, emerald crab.

so to get the p04 in check I have tried as described above all different water change routines. I then dosed 5 drops of all three 3 times a week instead of two, I even tried a month of 5 drops everyday of the biomate. nothing brought down the p04 which is why I had to install the rowa. my levels are currently on the way up so I'm guessing the rowa is exhausted yet again. I have got rid of 80% of the hair algee but mainly by upping the crabs and a sea hare and pulling as much out as many times as I can.

this week I was worried the nitrate kits were not reading right as always never moved from 2.5ppm even after big water changes and was worried it was nitrate low and this is why the system was not pulling down p04. I added two tea spoons of sodium nitrate and it raised my nitrate to 25ppm. I didn't think it would of raised it so much and was a mistake on my part. thing is in over a week the zeo has done nothing to pull this down either which kinda says to me its not working at all as such.

looking for advice as to what to try next as tbh I'm at the point of giving up with the zeo altogher which will be a shame as I really love the way it feeds the corals.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Forgot to add in the start list I dose 4 drips x2 time a week biomate
Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Really difficult to give you a advise as everything which is ZeoVit related is OK. Make sure that the reactor flow is ~ 400 liters per hour through the ZeoVit reactor. As long as nutrients are elevated I would recommend to stop dosing ZeoFood it is will just increase the algae.

If the rocks do really leach PO4 there is not much you can do than being patient but this can become a long process. Does the green hair algae also grow on the rocks you have used in your old system ?

Can you please also post a full tank shot and a full tank shot ?

G.Alexander
Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 AM
ZEOhead in Training

I don’t have a place for photos that allows remote hosting. Photo bucket stopped it. I do how every have a you tube account. I will video latter and get you a upto date vid
Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 AM
ZEOhead in Training

https://youtu.be/Ac5ncIN4FLA
This one is 3 months ago I think but not much changed.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Sorry above vide before algee broke out
Old 01-16-2018, 04:41 AM
ZEOhead in Training

The gha algee started on an arch I added after I setup the system and seams to be the root of the prob as all was well before then. It was pre owned and where the hair algee started and now is the most. The towers it sits on has mainly got it from transfer from when I been pulling it out vehicle idotry to net out all the loose strands this is impossible to get them all and this is when it started spreading. On my original rock work has none or very little but some of the corals on that side do have it on them. Again I think this is transferring as they catch the bits in the water coloum. I’m convinced it’s the arch leaching but it’s got most of my sps now stuck to it. That’s why I been using rowa and changing it as soon as tank rises in po4 as I’m hoping to draw out any po4 but would rather of hoped the zeo would deal with it instead. 300g of rowa should keep my tank clean for ages but it’s lasting one week at most. I’m defo feeding as light as my tangs allow. My info salmon is looking thin where I have cut food intake to bear min whilst this has been happening
Old 01-17-2018, 03:49 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

If the rockwork is the reason for the elevated PO4 level there is not much you can do if you are not able to replace it. Over the time the situation will become better but this can take up to a couple of month so patience is necessary.

Because of ZeoVit I would recommend you to continue as follows:

Zeo bac 4 drops every other day
zeo start3 0.4 ml 2 x daily
zeo food7 – stop dosing at the moment
1ltr stones changed every 6 weeks – constant water flow of 400 liters per hour

Additional dose 8 drops BioMate every other day.

If your corals do not suffer from the absorber keep it running. Do regular water changes in conjunction to vacuum the sand regular.

Otherwise at the moment there is not much more you can do.

G.Alexander
Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM
ZEOhead in Training

Will do and let you know how I get on.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM
ZEOhead in Training

Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM
ZEOhead in Training

https://youtu.be/Ktt1OeVW2BA