zeovit.com EcoTech Marine LLC  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Help starting ZEOvit on an established tank
Last Post: Minichou
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 60
Views: 2,888
0 A.li's zeovit thread
Last Post: ___a.li___
Replies: 20
Views: 1,850
0 New to Zeovit
Last Post: Mallard
Replies: 3
Views: 114
0 Selbstreinigender Zeolithfilter
Last Post: Spooner
Replies: 16
Views: 1,582
0 *HELP* CB Overdose!
Last Post: maLx
Replies: 12
Views: 305
0 Advices for futur zeovit system
Last Post: zweebe
Replies: 0
Views: 30
0 Skimmer pumps failed need advice
Last Post: Johnsons reef
Views: 27
0 Korallenzucht XMAS Deal 2017! 20% OFF on Korallenzucht.
Last Post: sewatec
Views: 28
0 Starting Zeovit on a new tank and need some help.
Last Post: Lisavet2000
Replies: 47
Views: 2,456
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Keith Behrle
Replies: 58
Views: 3,361
More...

Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM
berlin-riff berlin-riff 目前線上

Hey Jeff, thanks for your history nice to read!!!
I feel like a "newcomer" too after 6 years without a tank.
I think you can add more sps from time to time.. you need to watch the look of the corals in your tank, when you think its good, then add more. from easy sps to some high class ( I think you will get really good pieces

I love your tank build and your "extreme accuracy" a good working tank needs time! Ok I needed 6/7 month for my tank but I'm happy too.

I wish you good luck for the future and keep updating us
Old 11-01-2017, 02:55 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I am really looking at the fish as secondary. There are two pair of clowns, and the purple tang right now. untold numbers of crabs, snails and a few urchins. I was actually thinking of just the opposite, getting the reef built before adding more fish. The phosphate test kit is a brand new Red Sea Pro. I carried out the test several times, following the instructions carefully, to a tee, even down to making sure i viewed the results under the added caution paper that they added to the test to make sure that it was viewed under 6500 K lighting. Thinking about getting some Hanna Checkers.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Im going to start dosing 0.001 phosphorus a day to my tank. Seachem makes a product called Seachem Flourish Phosphorous.
Thise Henna checkers are only accurate to 0.005 +- so if the glass is smudged or scrached then it is even less accurate that why so many people have problems with them.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:51 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

All,
I have seen several times that when there were algae problems that you have recommended the product Vibrant to resolve those issues. From scanning some of the other threads, I have seen it suggested many times. Is this a product I could try? My problem is not severe, just annoying right now and it looks like the changes that you all suggested have slowed or halted growth. From reading up on it, I guess it is various bacterial strains used to control, out compete and even consume the algae. Is there any issue with these bacterial strains competing with the ZEOvit strains? also I noticed that the product has vinegar in it, which would be an additional carbon source. I have seen some of the before and after pics and really like the affects. I think my tank husbandry is good, spending one to two hours every night on tank maintanence, hence the frustration with this algae and if this gets me ahead of the issue to contain it I think I'd like to try it. Thoughts and opinions from anyone please?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

How bad is the algae? I've tried it myself and my tank is spotless I dont even had to clean off the glass everyday. I had some salinity issues and some major die off but some of my stronger corals survived and are thriving. I've gone threw a full bottle of Vibrant and now only use zeobac. I've had huge issues with algae in the past. It got to a point where everything in my main display was covered and I was using a laundry list of zeovit products. Here is what Randy said on the Phosphate issue

from it:

"The orthophosphate concentration in the ocean varies greatly from place to place and also with depth and time of day. Surface waters are greatly depleted in phosphate relative to deeper waters, due to biological activities that sequester phosphate in organisms. Typical ocean surface phosphate concentrations are very low by reefkeeping standards, sometimes as low as 0.005 ppm.1

At concentrations below about 0.03 ppm, the growth rate of many phytoplankton species depends on the phosphate concentration (assuming that something else, such as nitrogen or iron, is not limiting their growth). Above this level, many organisms’ growth rate is independent of phosphate concentration.1 Consequently, to deter algal growth by controlling phosphate, aquarists need to keep the phosphate levels quite low."

Its a catch 22 if you raise phosphate your going to be growing algae if you dont feed things are going to die
Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

The algae problem is not awful, mainly because I have it on the run now. The new dosing with the Coral Snow, and Sponge Power seemed to have definitely helped. It is not continuing to progress. I cleaned three panes of glass Saturday and it has not spread and it is as clean as the day that i did it. Now the areas that still have it are growing but once removed, do not come back. The snails are making progress but they just don't like it as much as the green algae that i had before. If left to its own resources i believe they would clear the tank it a months time. After reading about this product and the way it worked, I believe that a dose or two would pretty much eradicate what I have or at least make it much easier to manage. I thought that i had read that the product did not harm corals. The one instance that I read where there was some issue, it was believed that the increased clarity of the water allowed more light to reach the corals then they could deal with that quickly. So, you had a different experience? Did you lose quite a few? I have attached some pics. If you zoom in you can see the areas that are being cleared and those that are still "fuzzy". Can anyone identify the type of algae that i am dealing with?
Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6596[2].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	20330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6597[1].jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	20331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6598[1].jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	20332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6599[1].jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	20333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6600[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	20334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6601[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	20335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6602[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	20336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6603[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	20337  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Bugger Bugger 目前線上
ZEOdabbler

Hi Jeff
Sorry Im not a marine biologist I can't tell you what specie it is

So you say you can actually see your snails eating this algae. That alone is a huge victory

Did you buy 100 turbos. Snails can be quite messy. Just leave one in a bucket of water overnight and there will be a brown tinge to the water.
Right now you only have a few specie of algae in your tank once you add new corals algae will find its way into the tank and why people often set up quarantine tanks.

What kind of rocks did you say you used.

I lost a few sps and maybe two acans I have some water changes planned this weekend to hopefully sort out my tank
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

My rock is all live rock flown in fresh from Fiji. Was from Fiji to me in 48 hours. A little over 200 lbs. Very nice rock.
So far i have made the following changes:
Coral Snow - 24 ml every other day
Sponge Power - 12 drops every other day
ZeoStart - 1.2 ml x 2 per day
Zeobak - 12 drops twice per week
ZeoFood - Stopped dosing
Cleaning the socks daily

The algae has declined and is no longer advancing and actually going away slowly. The snails and tang are eating it.
Last nights readins
Temp - 76
Specific gravity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - .04 (assumed because of algae die off?)
KH - 7.8
Mg - 1380
Ca - 460

I had ordered a bottle of Vibrant. I dosed 30ml last night to see if there was any change.

All tank occupants and corals look good today.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi All,
OK, I am the last one to get excited about something. I'm usually the guy shaking his head but Vibrant seems to have actually had a large effect in 24 hours. Granted, we were making progress against the algae, Coral Snow, Sponge Power.... all seemed to be working. It was going away slowly and the snails, crabs and tang were helping but it was going to take some time. I have stuck with the new protocol but I added a 30 ml dose of Vibrant last night. Tonight there is a huge amount of algae gone and what is left is much shorter. All corals, snails, crabs and fish seem to be in perfect health. I am guardedly optimistic.

Last edited by shredded; 11-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:58 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

So, today has been one week from the addition of Vibrant to the changes made in the dosing schedule and the addition of Coral Snow and Sponge Power. The rock, sand and glass are all now pristine. I am pretty amazed.
My current parameters are:
Temp - 76
Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
KH - 7.8
Mg - 1380
Ca - 460
During this week, my phosphates started to climb, Wednesday, .03, Thursday, .04, Friday, .06 and Saturday, .08. I started to worry because even thought it was not all that high, I still showed 0 nitrates and i have seen a lot of people that had climbing phosphate issues. Then suddenly, once the algae was gone, the phosphates dropped back to 0 on Sunday. I triple checked this reading.
Below is my current dozing schedule:
ZEOStart - 1.2 ml, 2 times daily (I want automate this)
Sponge Power - 12 drops every other day
Coral Snow - 24 ml every other day
ZEObak - 12 drops twice per week (daily for 10 days following zeolite change)
ZEOfood - Dozing on hold

Do I need to maintain this dosing regimen now that my algae is totally gone? Should I continue the Coral Snow every other day? I did add some new items this past Sunday. 2, 6 inch Maxima clams, 2 new Acro colonies and big male Mandarin Goby.
I will post some new pics this evening. Amazing change in one week!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

The dosing regimen is still OK, just reduce Coral Snow after this week has passed to 12 ml 2 x weekly.

G.Alexander
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

@G.Alexander... Thank you! The water appeared a little cloudy last night (bacterial bloom?) and last night it was a Coral Snow night. This morning the water was crystal clear again.
I would love to fully understand all of the chemistry and biology behind the products, and the interactions... I know that comes with experience and time. I am better then I was but is there a thread that already exists that (besides the ZEOvit manual that explains it better? There are so many different products and now there are products in the line that you don't use if you are using the full ZEOvit system. It can be confusing, but, I love to learn.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:39 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

You might find some additional information over here:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10354

https://cms.korallen-zucht.de/files/...ngl_150dpi.pdf

If you like to go “deeper”:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

G.Alexander
Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you! Good reading. Based on this I am going to try a few new products, AAHC, Coral Vitalizer and Pohl's Xtra.

Has anyone sat down and diagrammed the ZEOvit Cycle before? I think that could be very helpful in the total understanding of how the process works and if you have an issue, extremely helpful in determining which process, or processes are failing and help determine why and which corrective actions should be taken.

lastly, I know this is stated in bits and pieces throughout different threads but I couldn't find a thread strictly dealing with test kits and what test kits were recommended for ZEOvit. I have seen the Hanna Checkers mentioned numerous times but have also heard that the accuracy is not great. I have straight Red Sea Pro kits right now for all but the basic tests. Most of the color comparison for the "wheel charts" are pretty easy for me but the color change on some of the titration tests are iffy to my eyes as to when to stop so the thought of having a digital read out sounds amazing to me. What's recommended? Invest in the full Hanna line? Phosphate or Phosphorus? I know the phosphorus reads in parts per billion and should be more accurate even with the conversion. This is a great time of the year to acquire these as every relative is asking what I want for my birthday and Christmas. Pretty easy gifts. What say you?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:07 PM
shredded shredded 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

sorry for the delay. Here are some pictures of the rock after one week of treatment. I am not going to continue the Vibrant treatment as I don't know what long term exposure will do to the ZEOvit bacterial strains. I will keep it on hand in case it is needed again. It does not appear so far that the algae is trying to come back so hopefully maintaining with the ZEOvit dosing regimen that I have going and good tank hygiene that I can avoid a occurrence. Zoom in and check out the surface of the rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6691[1].jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	20357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6692[1].jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	20358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6696[1].jpg
Views:	12