zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 899
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Replies: 4
Views: 73
0 B-Balance dosage to raise per mg/l
Last Post: 2una
Views: 37
0 What to do by high barium
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 24
Views: 1,098
0 Conversion to Zeo from Bio-Pellets
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 35
Views: 2,676
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Replies: 11
Views: 484
0 ALK Spike
Replies: 5
Views: 116
0 Converting a 1 yr old tank to Zeovit
Replies: 22
Views: 1,095
0 Settin up a nano tank whit zeovit...how much flow?
Views: 70
0 Omega Skimmer BLOWOUT, 25% OFF Hanna Checkers & more
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 24
More...

Old 03-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Got it thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G. Just another update. It's been 11 weeks since I did the switch to zeovit. TN seems to have slowed down and some corals are now seen encrusting. The zeovit reactor has been running at recommended rate of 100gph still with 3hrs on and off interval. I am now on the second refill of zeolites stones (first one on the 4th week and second one on the 6th week). I also dose with zeobak , zeolite as recommended. I am still dosing spongepower 4 drops daily. I also have the recommended KZ carbon 0.4 L in passive flow which I've changed every 30days.
I am doing automated water changes with 3 gallon everyday.
Unfortunately, my levels remain the same:
Nitrate 40
PO4 0.08
Alk 6.5
Calcium 410
Potassium 400
pH 7.75- 8.04

I see patches of cyano here and there but I have not dosed coral snow for a while now.

Feeding schedule:
Pellets twice a day
Oyster feast every other day
Phyto feast every other day opposite oyster feast

I did added back a chaeto in my refugium for a month now with opposite lighting schedule to help with rising nitrate and phosphate.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:02 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hi Ari, the on / off interval of the reactor does speed down nutrient processing which might be the reason why nutrients are still elevated. If you switch the reactor to continuous flow now you might get issues with the corals which still show TN. I would recommend you to slowly shorten the on / off interval step by step so lets say 30 minutes shorter each week.

Personally I also think the additional food to the corals plays some role also. I recommend to stop feeding the corals additional as long as nutrients are elevated.

G.Alexander
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Are you saying if the reactor runs continuously nutrient reduction is increased faster?

Old 05-10-2017, 03:09 AM
ZEOadmin

That is correct.

G.Alexander
Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Ok. Thanks G!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM
iiluisii iiluisii 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I was having the same issues you are having and im not saying most of the zeovit advises are wrong but they never helped me it actually made it worst. here is what I did.

zeovit recommended to stop all additives and only use the main 4 until cyano was gone. this never worked and corals were starving causing them to stn at the base which the dying flesh fueled cyano more and more. changing the stones at the recommended percentage also causes stn.

I started feeding heavily pellets 3 times per day and 1 chunk of reef gumbo 2 cubes of calanus and 2 cubes of brine per day and started adding all the additives ie (amino, vitalizer, Xtra ect) started only using 800ml of stones per 100gallons and changing 20% of the stones every 8 weeks also adjusting the flow weekly from 13 second to fill 16 oz speeding it up each week until it took 7 seconds and magically all cyano and stn its gone.

I really think the key to zeovit is to have some amount of nitrates and phosphates. I think we are just having nutrients imbalance.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiluisii View Post
I was having the same issues you are having and im not saying most of the zeovit advises are wrong but they never helped me it actually made it worst. here is what I did.

zeovit recommended to stop all additives and only use the main 4 until cyano was gone. this never worked and corals were starving causing them to stn at the base which the dying flesh fueled cyano more and more. changing the stones at the recommended percentage also causes stn.

I started feeding heavily pellets 3 times per day and 1 chunk of reef gumbo 2 cubes of calanus and 2 cubes of brine per day and started adding all the additives ie (amino, vitalizer, Xtra ect) started only using 800ml of stones per 100gallons and changing 20% of the stones every 8 weeks also adjusting the flow weekly from 13 second to fill 16 oz speeding it up each week until it took 7 seconds and magically all cyano and stn its gone.

I really think the key to zeovit is to have some amount of nitrates and phosphates. I think we are just having nutrients imbalance.

This is Definitely something to think about... thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM
MohReef MohReef 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I had tissue loss when I started my tank with zeo too... my tank went from nitrates at 40 ppm to about 10 in about 2 months and it think this was too fast of a change ... however I kept with the basic 4 and water changes and my sps r looking much better now about 4 months in total... the frags that were not lost r regrowing ... try to keep akl stable at the recommended value do water changes and it will get better.one thing I also do is stir my sand often... since I use sand about 2-3 mm in size .. but if u never stir ur sand I would not suggest doing it all at once maybe a little at a time .. it tends to trap matter that causes nitrates in my observations.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
cvicente cvicente 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Look for information about the coral holobiont and the effect that carbon dosing has on the bacterial population around the coral and you will find the cause of your RTN/STN
Old 05-24-2017, 02:11 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you all for you input.
I did tried and followed G Alexander's recommendations to slowly decrease the interval by 30 minutes each week and I have experienced the most drastic change in my nitrate! From 40ppm to all of a sudden 5-10ppm. But my phosphate remained at 0.08. Of course I also cut down on my oyster feast to every other day. I did started seeing TN say the base on some of my frags. I then went back to set my reactor to the 3hr interval on/off. Fed my corals with oyster feast everyday and the TN started to halt. I did checked my potassium at that time and it was 410 but because I was seeing TN not only on my acros but also on one of my montipora digitata, I started to dose just 1ml of K balance everyday. These happened last week.
Now, corals seem to be doing fine with my increased feeding. Here are my latest parameters:
Nitrate 5
KH 7
I also started dosing zeofood per recommendation and coral vitalizer.
Cyano also went away but some patches on low flow area remains. I stopped dosing coral snow.

Can you also comment on my lighting with all 8x54 t5 running from 9am to 3pm with two kessil 360we at 40% from 7am to 10pm (ramping up). Is that too much for my 120gallon?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 PM
ZEOadmin

Hello Ari, can you tell if your corals are showing god growth ? Please also post some actual coral pictures especially from the Montiopra and Acropora corals. Do you keep plating Montipora corals also and how are they doing ?

G.Alexander
Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Here is a pic of my reef tank:

My German blue digi that TN from the base and with some branches completely gone, now seem recovering:

These two acros I have are the ones unaffected entirely exhibiting good growth and encrusting.

Now these are the frags that are severely affected.

Here are my latest parameters:
KH 6.5-7
Ca 380 (added calcium to reach goal 410)
Mg 1160 (added Mg to goal 1200)
K 390 ( adding k balance 1ml daily)
Nitrate 5-10
Phosphate 0.08

Regimen:
Zeovit reactor - back to 3hrs on and off (corals TN increased)
Zeostart 0.4 ml twice a day
Sponge power 4drops daily
Zeobak 4 drops twice a week
Zeofood 4 drops twice a week
Xtra 1ml daily
Flatworm stop 1ml daily (don't have flatworm but prophylaxis) with
CB 1ml daily

Old 05-27-2017, 12:03 AM
ZEOadmin

Hello Ari, all basic water parameters are relative low so this might be the reason. Do you have a chance to cross check salinity with a different accurate instrument ? Those low levels are common if salinity is to low.

G.Alexander
Old 05-27-2017, 02:12 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi G,
Salinity is about 35ppt or 1.026 SG and I checked it twice.