zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: chercm
Posted On: Today
Replies: 163
Views: 5,863
10 5 feet SPS tank
Last Post: AG Reefer
Replies: 43
Views: 1,400
0 Jod u. Kalium lt. Analyse zu wenig
Last Post: Michael B.
Replies: 5
Views: 97
4 Cyle A Zeovit Tank
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 68
Views: 3,894
0 What should i do with the old zeovit stones/media??
Replies: 14
Views: 611
0 Cat drinking from sump.
Replies: 2
Views: 74
0 Zeovit gr廲ere Gebinde oder Alternative?
Replies: 6
Views: 220
0 Spike in nitrate and cyano...please help
Replies: 18
Views: 397
0 New guy here looking for help
Replies: 24
Views: 710
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Replies: 38
Views: 1,727
More...
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Default Converting 120 gallon Reef tank to ZEO

Tank is 120 gallon with 40 gallon sump, established since 2014. With live rocks, I would say total volume be around 100 gallon. Mixed reef with mostly SPS, LPS and some zoas, and GSP. It has djardini sailfin tang, purple tang, blue hippo tang, harlequin tusk, melanurus wrasse, 2 green chromis ,2 blue chromis and a mandarin dragonet. I feed pellets twice a day, reef chili twice a week, frozen food three times a week. I have a ASM G3 skimmer dry skimming. I use GFO changed every month, and ROX carbon changed twice a week. I have calcium reactor. Deep sand bed in the refugium with chaeto and live rock. I also have kalkwasser on a doser during the night due to low pH and also added CO2 scrubber. I started carbon dosing with vinegar because of my nitrate level for about a month now and I was able to bring nitrate down to 40 from 80 range! I had my alk at 9-10 dkh before until I slowly lowered it down to 7.5-8 when i started vinegar. I do 5gallon water change once a week with IO reef crystals using RODI. I'm using 2 kessil 360we with ATI t5 8x54 which runs from 8am-5pm. All controlled by my Apex. Here are my parameters:

Phosphate 0.08 Red Sea
Nitrate 40 API
Alk 7.5-8 dkh
Ca 420
Mg 1300 Red Sea
pH 7.8-8
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78

Reason I want to switch to zeovit is because I am not getting good growth on my sps, dull color, high nutrient level since the tank been established. I have tried NOPOX, biopellet and now vodka. Any suggestions that you may have is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Hello Ari

Would you mind to post those information more structured also some additional information about your system:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Will make it easier to help later because of the better overview.

The deep sand bed and the high nutrients you told about makes switching to ZeoVit running the tank successful not easy and you will need to have a lot of patience.

G.Alexander
Old 02-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Tell us about your tank.
Please give us answers to the following questions in order to get more accurate dosing recommendations.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 140 us gallon
2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.) - US gallons / UK gallons / liter 100 us gallon
3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other techniqueyes
4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.)yes
5. Are you using Ozoneno
6. Are you using UVno
7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)ASM G3 rated up to 250gallon
8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels PO4 0.08, NO3 40
9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels Ca 420 Alk 7.5 Mg 1280
10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.) Refugium has deep sand bed with chaeto; nitrogen sponge by Kent, Rox carbon in reactor, started vinegar dosing at 30ml/hr for a month now
11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.) kessil 360 WE x2 ramp up 630am to 9:30 pm max at 60%, ATI 8bulb 54 wattts/bulb 8am-5pm
12. What corals do you keep SPS: green slimer, purple stylo, pocci, setosa, digitata,sps frags, monti caps, LPS frogspawn, hammer, blasto, zoa
13. Tissue color (light or dark)
14. How long has the tank been runningsince March 2014
15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit systemincrease growth, and coloration, healthy corals, control nutrients
16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)Red sea amino acid and carbohydrates 10ml/of each every otherday; reef chili twice a week; oyster feast nightly once a week; frozen food for fish twice a week; pellets for fish twice a day;
17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 90lbs
18. Any present problems nitrate although I was able to lower it from 80-40, ph low I can't seem to get it to above 8 despite kalkwasser and CO2 scrubber
19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.) some sps frag is starting to have STN from the base
20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.) Red Sea phosphate, mg, Ca API for Alk, Nitrate
21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.) I dose Microbacter 7 4ml everyday
22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.) salinity 35, temp 78F, pH 7.8-7.97
23. Which salt brand do you useIO reef crystals but I'll be trying out Red Sea aquarium salt mix blue bucket

I know there are a lot of questions. Please be as detailed (and honest) as possible and feel free to elaborate on anything else you think may be important. I have now baught vertex 1.5 zeovit starter package, need your advise how I should start. Any input or suggestion you may have. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I actually just removed my refugium and its deep sand bed .

Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

I also need help how to calculate flow rate. The formula confuses me. If I collect (volume) coming out of the reactor is it in ml? And I need to multiply that by 120? Then what do I get : GPH? Or LPH?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 AM
ZEOadmin

I would recommend you to just keep running the system as it is for the next 4 weeks before starting zeovit as to many changes at once can cause issues, than start as follows:

First start with the basics products to decrease nutrients:

1. Place 1 liter zeovit in a Zeo Reactor. Water flow around 400 liters per hour. Connect the reactor pump to a clock timer and run the reactor pump with a 3 hour on / 3 hour off / 3 hour on interval. Please make sure the zeolite is not exposed to air while the pump is switched off. Clean the material daily. Leave the zeolite 4 weeks in the filter until you do the first change out. This is the first changing interval, others could be lengthen to 6 – 8 weeks.

2. Place 0.4 liters activated carbon in a filter sock and keep it in a passive water flow in your sump, changed every 30 days. Knead the carbon daily to keep the surface clean. Most users get perfect results with korallenzucht carbon.

3. Dose 4 drops ZeoBac daily for the first 2 weeks, flowed by a 2 – 3 x weekly dosage of 4 drops. Dose 0.4 ml ZeoStart 2 x daily (morning & evening). Dose those in front of the Zeo reactor pump while it is switched on.

Later on you could use the additional products for coral coloration. Adjust your skimmer to skim wet, keeping it clean to export as much as possible. Do a weekly water change of 5 – 10 % with a good salt.

With the system it is not recommended to use a PO4 absorber. I would recommend to remove 1/3 of the absorber if you start with zeovit, than reduce the rest over the next 6 – 8 weeks step by step to zero. If this is done keep a eye on the PO4 level which should not increase.

Basic water parameters looking good, try to keep them as stabile as possible close the NSW in the following ranges:

KH 6.5 – 7.5
Ca 400 – 420 mg
Mg 1250 – 1300 mg
K+ ~ 380 mg

For a nutrient poor environment K+ (potassium) seems to be a important element. I would recommend you to get a test kit for this element also, posting your results.

I would additional recommend to stop using kalkwasser, even if the PH does decrease a little bit this is usually not a problem.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpos...34&postcount=5

When you start using ZeoVit reduce the vinegar and the microbacter addition to 50%, than reduce the addition step by step slowly to zero over the next 4 – 6 weeks.

To check the reactor flow collect the water from the reactor outlet for 30 seconds, than multiply its volume by 120 and you will get the exact output per hour.

This is a start-up dosage which might have to be adjusted later.

G.Alexander
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Oops! I got excited and started the zeovit already! Didn't see the 4 weeks part. Can I still turn it off? My flow rate is only about 75gph at this time is that ok? Thinking I don't want to shock the system. Do I really have to remove 1/3 of GFO at a time? Is it ok to just decrease the time by 1/3 at a time until zero? Also can I use half the ROX carbon at a time until I used up all my supplies then I start on the kz carbon? Is it ok if I am skimming a bit on the dry side or do you want it wet at this time?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

By the way, since I have already started the system, and there is no turning back, should I continue dosing red sea's reef energy A and B? Nitrate 40,
alkalinity 7.5 dKh
I'll check phosphate tomorrow. I also started decreasing kalkwasser dosing slowly to stop in 2 weeks, vinegar is half the dose and will wean off completely in 1 week.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 AM
ZEOadmin

Would recommend to stop dosing the RedSea products completely. To lower the impact you can try to run the reactor at about 200 liters per hour with the 3 hour on / off interval for the first couple of weeks. If your corals are doing well you can start to increase the flow slowly step by step to about 400 liters per hour.

Have no experience with ROX carbon but I can tell you that some kind of carbon do remove elements to quick which can cause issues, especially if the system runs nutrient poor stabile.

If you like to you can also begin to remove the PO4 absorber slowly step by step starting at the full quantity. The 1/3 was basically just a advise as this usually works well.

G.Alexander
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you so much Alexander for all your input. I have adjusted my skimmer to skim wet, I will stop Red Sea energy(amino/carb), decrease flow from the reactor to 200liters per hour and set the interval as you said, and will slowly adjust to 400 depending on the corals response, tomorrow, my kz carbon should arrive and I will replace my ROX and leave it passively in the sump. I will remove 1/3 of the GFO also per week every water change . Have already started all the dosing that you mentioned. Vinegar dosing is also slowly being weaned off. I am also slowly weaning off the kalkwasser.
I also just a precaution started dosing zeovit flatworm stop with coral booster if it's okay?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 AM
ZEOadmin

As long as there are not algae especially with the CB I would not see a problem dosing them, both @ 1 ml / 100 liters 1 - 2 x weekly if you do not treat flatworms.

G.Alexander
Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Thank you Alexander. Just curious, why is coarse gravel recommended instead of fine sand as substrate for zeovit? Doesn't it traps more detritus thus increase nitrate?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Hi Alexander, I noticed that some of my sps frags have new STN from the base but the rest are looking good . What do you want me to do? Should I decrease the flow to the zeovit reactor? Do you want me to dose the following: sponge power, coral vitalizer, xtra special, biomate, coral snow and k balance concentrate. I see cyano growing on one rock maybe I should just throw away that rock instead of treating the whole system for cyano? Skimmer is skimming brownish colored gunk.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Ari Ari 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

By the way, here are my latest labs:
Alkalinity 7.5 dKh
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1280
Potassium (salifert) 410
Nitrate 50
Phosphate 0.16
I did replaced my GFO and removed 1/3 of the recommended amount and I am running it passively in my sump (not in the reactor).
I changed my carbon and place it in the sump also to run passively and not in the reactor.
I am planning to do water change later and I will be using Red Sea salt mix.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:10 PM
ZEOadmin

Difficult to say what has caused the TN, might be the stress from the changes in the last days. You can try to decrease the reactor flow until corals start to recover, than you can increase it slowly step by step again. Make sure to run the reactor with the 3 hour on / off interval.

Keep a close eye on the PO4 level, it has increase already, should not increase furthermore.

The water exchange in the deeper layers of the fine sand compared to the gravel is limited in our closed systems so, it’s a different situation in the sea as the waves do move the sand constant. This might cause areas with rotten substances in the deeper layers which finally has a negative impact to nutrients.

G.Alexander