zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 This is really lovely
Last Post: HelenMancuso
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 899
0 Low nitrates low Po4
Last Post: tnick
Replies: 4
Views: 73
0 B-Balance dosage to raise per mg/l
Last Post: 2una
Views: 37
0 What to do by high barium
Last Post: W.vreeswijk
Replies: 24
Views: 1,098
0 Conversion to Zeo from Bio-Pellets
Last Post: G.Alexander
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 35
Views: 2,676
0 How to swich to ZeoVit
Replies: 11
Views: 484
0 ALK Spike
Replies: 5
Views: 116
0 Converting a 1 yr old tank to Zeovit
Replies: 22
Views: 1,095
0 Settin up a nano tank whit zeovit...how much flow?
Views: 70
0 Omega Skimmer BLOWOUT, 25% OFF Hanna Checkers & more
Last Post: Premiumaq
Replies: 0
Views: 24
More...

Old 11-16-2016, 04:11 AM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

The NO3 level is not really a problem as it is still low in your system. If algae die off nutrients are released for sure.

Personally I would recommend to continue dosing as planned including BioMate and see if both PO4 and NO3 does slowly come down in the next couple of weeks.

Removing the algae before they die off would be good also.

G.Alexander
Old 11-16-2016, 07:40 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

I have been removing algae with a siphon during water changes and there is very little left now, so hopefully I am past the worst if I can keep nutrient levels under control and not let algae have another chance to return.

I think I will also continue with Zeozym one time each week, unless you think it is not a good idea? If I do it more often it seems to increase phosphate levels much more, which is probably to be expected.

I tested a new salt water mix for yesterday's water change and I got a reading of around 0.15 on my Hanna ULR checker for phosphate. TDS is zero and I use double DI pods. I have read that a fresh mix can give false readings due to suspended particles and also that the level is not necessarily an issue as it is diluted significantly after being added to the aquarium, so it is not a concern. I was very surprised though and had expected only a nominal reading. Perhaps I should change everything on the RODI unit even though TDS is showing zero?
Old 11-17-2016, 03:39 AM
ZEOadmin

The PO4 level of the fresh mixed salt is relative high, I would recommend to find the source of that it can be the salt or the RO water. Even if the water is mixed fresh the PO4 level should be minimal, make sure to mix the dry salt well before checking it again.

G.Alexander
Old 11-17-2016, 04:17 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

It's always dry mixed, so it's either the RO (0 TDS and double DI), the test kit (Hanna) or the TDS meter, which I have read can falsely read high on a fresh mix. I haven't read of any phosphate issues in TMPR salt.

Can I get 0 TDS but still need to replace the membrane or filters on the RODI? Maybe I should replace everything just to rule it out.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Thinking more about it, I don't think I should need to change out anything on the RODI. I've got 220 TDS going in with fairly fresh everything and zero TDS going out shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I don't think the TDS meter is giving a false reading as it's always shown around that level on the input.

The phosphate reading in the tank today was lower than yesterday but nitrate up to 4. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days but I've lost a couple of nice corals that had appeared to be doing well or were recovering at a good pace prior to the sudden phosphate increase.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:56 AM
ZEOadmin

I just can tell you you will get a DS reading of zero while having silicate in the water so it might be a similar situation with PO4.

Do you run a purest water filter resin as the last stage of your RO unit ?

Have you already checked the RO water with a Hanna PO4 test ?

Please also tell me which kind of carbon you use.

G.Alexander
Old 11-18-2016, 03:15 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

The RO unit has two DI pods as the last stage.

I didn't think the Hanna ULR works with RO?

I'm using Zeovit carbon.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:02 AM
ZEOadmin

I have never used the checkers but their photometers do so usually it should work with the checkers chemicals also.

G.Alexander
Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

0.15 from fresh RO, even though it shows 0 TDS. I guess the two DI need replacing but I might just replace everything.

I think I've found the (current) cause of the issue.

Always learning something in this hobby. I had assumed (oops) that 0 TDS meant the RO water was fine.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Changed both DI pods and got exactly the same phosphate reading from the RO that I got before changing the DI. Perhaps changing the membrane would sort it out?

The last of the algae has died off quite quickly - very noticeable each day and seemingly coinciding with the increased phosphate reading. Perhaps the die-off is responsible for the increased phosphate in the tank?

I have been discussing it with some other people and they reckon that the phosphate reading in the RO, although higher than desired, could be largely inaccuracy of the photometer in RO water (not convinced about that) and it's also a relatively insignificant input of phosphate compared to what goes in from food.

It makes sense to get rid of it from the RO though, as every reduction in input has to be of value. I'm not really sure where to go from here, other than keep double-dosing every second day with Biomate. I'm not sure it's making any difference, although the increased rate of algae die-off says otherwise.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Leeds Leeds 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

hi mate,

A couple of years ago I changed my system from Triton to Zeovit, I also had huge algae issues which was one of the reasons I changed.

I went from 0 Po4 with Triton (I was using GFO and had loads of algae), to over .15 Po4 a couple of months into Zeo. The reason for this was the removal of GFO and the die off of the algae.

I also gave up on the Hanna Po4 checker as I found it very inconsistent, similar to what you are reporting, I now use Elos and find this much better.

I'd strongly recommend trying the Elos kit and seeing if your fresh saltwater is that high in Po4, as this will significanlty determine how you can tackle the Po4.

for me, the Po4 came down in time (about 4 or 5 months), due to using Biomate, and feeding primarily flake and pellet.

It does take time with Zeo for the parameters to change, which for SPS, is a good thing.

G. Alexander's advice is always spot on, you just need to learn the patience to wait for the suggestions to kick in. (which is easier said than done !)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:03 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Cheers matey.

Don't worry, if there's one thing this hobby teaches you it's patience! I'm simply thinking aloud.

I'm feeding almost exclusively pellet and any other foods are occasional and dry. Nori is fed for the tangs but not every day.

Did you find during the transition to Zeovit that it was a bumpy journey rather than a constant improvement? By that I mean things seemed to have turned a corner, got a bit worse again, then improved further, etc?

I did have extremely inconsistent results from the Hanna checker with one batch of reagents but the current batch are giving extremely consistent results again - they just aren't the results I want! ;-)

Were you using standard Biomate dosing or double-dosing?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Leeds Leeds 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Within 2 months of the change to Zeovit my tank was massively better. all algae had gone and all corals were showing improvement. Since then, the tank has got better and better and I haven't had any issues until the last couple of months when I got AEFW.

The only thing I've never been able to do is get my No3 and Po4 to ULNS, I run No3 around 5 and Po4 is between .04 and .06 normally. I dose 14 drops of Biomate every other day to keep the Po4 in check and have done this for about 1 year.

I don't think the live rock I used to setup the tank was the best, and I think this has contributed to my nutrient levels.

Having said that, I tend not to worry too much about the numbers though and I've learnt through observing the appearance of my corals whether they are happy or not.

For me, the most important number is alk, I've found that when it gets above 7.5 the corals fade a little and so I always try to keep it around 7, which seems to work for me and gives nice deep colouration and good growth. I also dose coral Vitalizer which really helps with polyp extension.

I noticed you mentioned zeozym, what is the purpose of Zeozym and have you seen any benefit from using it ?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Zeozym seems to increase the phosphate levels briefly after dosing, so I assume it's pulling the remaining bits of phosphate out. I think it is therefore beneficial. From the Zeovit site:

Amplifies the effect of ZEObak.
Stimulates the biological control of slime algae (Cyanobacteria).
Enhances skimming performance
Disbarment of harmful substances
Improves coral growth enormously.

My nitrate had gone to zero and would not increase regardless of how much I fed. I think I left the Zeolite change too long and phosphate increase along with nitrate, although that's still at an ok level and it's just the phosphate that is out of balance.

Algae is now gone, so hopefully continued use of Biomate will see phosphate reduce.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Stuck with it and now... 0.44 phosphate and dead corals. Nitrate about 3. Before increasing Biomate dosing I had zero nitrate and usually between 0.3 and 0.5 phosphate and the corals were really starting to do well. I thought the tank had turned the corner and I was hoping to get that phosphate down the last bit,

Checked Start dosing, flow through Zeolite... I don't think it's a bioload issue as the nitrate isn't awful and it's hardly going to go down with that phosphate level. I've decided to drop the auto-feeder to twice per day (currently three times per day) to see what happens.

I think I should chuck some lanthanum chloride in just to get rid of some of the excessive level of phosphate.

The algae has now completely gone.

This sucks.

Last edited by griff500; 12-02-2016 at 06:53 PM.