zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 What is this algae and how to get rid of
Last Post: Keith Behrle
Posted On: Today
Replies: 42
Views: 1,517
0 changing from FM to Zeovit
Last Post: chercm
Replies: 87
Views: 3,231
0 Sand help question Bare bottom
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 3
Views: 69
0 Converting 120 gallon Reef tank to ZEO
Replies: 50
Views: 1,895
0 Nitrate
Last Post: Wouter5th
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 8
Views: 265
0 Help with cyano
Last Post: BY34
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 6
Views: 225
0 Converting established tank to Zeovit
Last Post: arringar
Posted On: 05-27-2017
Replies: 17
Views: 758
0 Is it possible to avoid the pastel colors?
Replies: 9
Views: 254
0 reef tank steph_69
Last Post: OverCool
Replies: 197
Views: 16,218
0 Zeovit product for me
Posted On: 05-26-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 95
More...
Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Clavius Clavius 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Default Replaced sandbed, PO4 spike

My tank has been running very stable on Zeovit for years now. Test readings are always fine. PO4 0.01 or lower. And NO3 at 1. (Hanna ULR and Salifert.) And my corals generally look great and healthy.

But then I had to go and replace my live sand. The shallow sandbed has always given me problems. I went crazy from tuning my wavemakers to not blow any sand up. And when it did stay still, the lack of water movement would discolour it. So it had to go!

About two weeks ago I replaced the sand with ATI's fine, but heaviest gravel. I did this by siphoning off the sand off as clean as I could. The process took 3 evenings. Off course, I couldn't prevent dirt from escaping though. After that I placed the gravel that I had washed very carefully. I can now directly point my wavemakers at the gravel at full throttle without the gravel even flinching. Crud will blow out, but the gravel stays put. This also enabled my new gravelbed to be even thinner then the already shallow sandbed that I had.

I knew this would engage the new gravel in a sort of mini-startup. With diatoms and everything that goes with that. This is currently in full effect. There is a brown layer on the gravel when the photo-period progresses during the day.

What worries me is the rise in phosphates! It has now been stuck at 0.110 ever since, and doesn't seem to budge. My nitrates are low as always though, but PO4 has risen tenfold.

What should I do? Clean and stir the sand vigorously every day? Or just leave it?

Can I steer the PO4 a little with some lanthanum chloride? Or should I be more patient?

I am afraid that I removed to much biology and impaired my tanks capability of processing PO4 now.

Just some more specs:
- I use 1,2 liters of zeostones for my 500 liter tank.
- 5 drops zeobak every other day.
- 1ml zeostart3 every day.
- Balling for CA KH maintenance.
- 100% LED lights
Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

Replacing the sand in a to short time range will have a big impact to the biology so a increase of nutrients can take place. Usually it is better to replace the sand slow over a couple of weeks in smaller steps. Anyways all you can do is being patient. I would not vacuum the fresh sand now at the moment, also BioMate might be helpful, 10 drops every other day for some time.

Additional make sure to adjust the skimmer to skim wet and clean it every day for some time to export as much as possible. Please also put some of the new sand (fresh) in some RO water for a couple of hours and check the PO4 level to see if the sand itself is the reason for the increase of PO4.

G.Alexander
Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 AM
Clavius Clavius 目前線上
Almost a ZEOhead

Many thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 AM
tthorn0118 tthorn0118 目前離線
ZEOhead in Training

Why are you dosing ZEObak every other day? Isn't supposed to be 2-3 times per week?