zeovit.com Aquariumspeciality  

Go Back   zeovit.com > General Discussion Forums - International > General Discussion - English

General Discussion - English General Marine Aquaria Discussion with and without ZEOVit.

Active Threads
0 Zeo Light -> Zeovit wechsel
Last Post: Peter.
Posted On: Today
Replies: 26
Views: 505
0 System Re-Start with Zeovit
Last Post: bmwm235i
Replies: 23
Views: 877
0 Help Needed
Last Post: Simcard74
Replies: 12
Views: 441
0 Chaeto Reactors compared to Algae Scrubbers
Last Post: Clavius
Replies: 4
Views: 127
0 The journey starts 12.09.17
Last Post: FraysReef
Replies: 15
Views: 410
0 New guy here looking for help
Last Post: G.Alexander
Replies: 37
Views: 1,479
0 New sps tank
Replies: 29
Views: 641
0 Happy to see algae?
Replies: 1
Views: 48
10 My new "Texas 210 Gallon"
Replies: 6
Views: 173
0 50+ products on Sale & Clearance
Last Post: Premiumaq
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 20
More...

Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Alexander View Post
Thank you for the additional information but there must be a reason for the PO4. I have no experience with those marine blocks so I can not tell you if they are the same as good quality live rock, just can tell you that even the marine cultured dry rocks will never be the same as real live rock.

The NO3 is not the real problem, the P04 level is more problematic. Do you vacuum the sand regular with each water change ?

Can you please also tell me something about the fish you keep in the system (sizes / quantities)

G.Alexander
I do vacuum the sand bed.

I have quite a decent bioload from the following:

1 x Clownfish.
1 x Matted Filefish.
1 x Cleaner Wrasse.
6 x Scribbled Anthias.
1 x Powder Blue Tang.
1 x Purple Tang.
1 x Yellow Tang.

3 small feeds per day and some nori every couple of days.

This is actually two fish less than when I started the thread and an additional marine pure block and at the time of starting this thread I had zero nitrate and it didn't seem to matter how much I fed, nitrate would not shift from zero. Nitrate seemed to increase at the same time as trying to reduce Phosphate and possibly leaving it too long before a stones change.

As I mentioned, the Phosphate turned out to not be as high as my test kit was showing and was in a suitable range. Lesson learned about trusting my eyes more than the test kits as the corals were really taking off when I tried to 'fix' the 'problem' that didn't exist.

It seems that the balance in the tank was lost when I started messing about with things and that it has still not regained a balance.

I wonder if additional Zeobak would help. Currently 3 drops twice per week.

I'm going to send off another ICP test shortly to see what Phosphate level they detect comapared to my Hana ULR kit.

Thoughts? It's easy to say the bioload is too high but there is twice the capacity for bacteria (additional marine pure block) and less fish compared to when Nitrates were zero and I couldn't raise them regardless of how much I fed. The tank would therefore appear to be capable of dealing with the bioload and it must be an issue with balance being off. Perhaps some use of Agent Green (mild Lanthanum Chloride) to get the Phosphate levels down and hopefully the tank will then be put into a more balanced state and be able to deal with the bioload on it's own again?

Perhaps more than recommended Start3? Then again, I tried half the recommended dose for a while and Nitrate levels didn't increase (but Phosphate did).
Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 PM
G.Alexander G.Alexander 目前離線
ZEOadmin

I do not have additional ideas at the moment but it should have something to do with the balance of biology. I am still thinking it might have something to do with the blocks but I have no experience with them. Filter sponges for example do also increase NO3 over the time, maybe a similar situation ?

G.Alexander
Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

It must be something off STILL with the biological balance.

It's possible for blocks to retain detritus and produce nitrate but I have rinsed the older one thoroughly and the second one is quite new, plus I have a roller filter placed before them.

Perhaps more regular Zeobak?

Increase Start3? Carbon dosing usually says to increase until nutrients are under control, whereas Start3 gives a maximum dose based on water volume. Can it do any harm to increase the dose a bit and see if it helps, as I would with any other carbon source such as vodka?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:43 PM
ZEOadmin

If you like to dose 1 drop ZeoBac / 25 US gallons every other day for some time it will not cause trouble. You can also try to increase ZeoStart to lets say 20 – 25 % more than the recommended maximum which is 2 ml / 300 US gallons daily, increase it slowly step by step.

G.Alexander
Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

I kept increasing Zeostart with no effect until I got some cyano.

I stopped dosing completely and levels are now falling and phosphate is within a decent range and the tank is starting to look better again.

Go figure...
Old 08-02-2017, 03:40 PM
griff500 griff500 目前離線
Almost a ZEOhead

Corals are just about surviving but not doing great. I removed the stones and stopped dosing and nutrient levels didn't rise at all. They aren't where I'd like them, however, so I'm going to try vodka/vinegar and see if my tank responds better to that.

I've added some proper live rock to see if that helps.

It seems that the stones and Start/Zeobac really didn't seem to make any difference as levels haven't been particularly different since I stopped, and certainly haven't gone up.

Thanks for your efforts to assist though. I gave the system well over a year and it just didn't seem to work for some reason.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 AM
ZEOadmin

Really sorry to hear that it has not worked for you, keep my fingers crossed that the tank is soon doing better.

G.Alexander